Windows 10: Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive

Discus and support Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi, I am using Windows10 but because of some reason I've to reinstall it gain. My system has two drives. Unfortunately, I forget to unplug my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Riz, Mar 12, 2017.

1. RIZ
    Riz Win User

Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive

Hi,

I am using Windows10 but because of some reason I've to reinstall it gain.

My system has two drives. Unfortunately, I forget to unplug my secondary drive that's 500GB and has 2 partitions (D & E).

When I completed the Windows, I got 2 options (1. Windows 10 Vol 1 & Volume 2). I went to volume 1 by default.

I saw that D drive has old windows' 10 but hasn't the 200GB data there.That 200GB data is very much important.

I ran some recovery tools but didn't work effectively. Kindly do help me out so I can get all my 200GB data.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

:)

2. Formating drives in Windows 10

My experience with Format in Windows 10 has been expensive. After format the machine no longer recognizes the drive (BIOS sees it; Windows 10 says it is not usable).

Does the format function within Windows 10 format for FAT or FAT32?

Upgrading hardware (motherboard & CPU) and purchased OEM Windows 10. My plan was to use the old secondary (for file backup copies) drive as the new C: drive (using the old system drive as a drive for backup files).

The quickest way that I knew to clean up the secondary drive was to format the drive so I did that.

Then I disconnected the old C: drive; placed the OEM CD in the optical drive and attempted to install a 'clean' Windows 10 without success. Windows could not use the recently formatted drive.

I finally had to purchase a new hard drive to replace the unusable one.

I now have a cleanly installed Windows 10 and my backup drive has all of the old installation. Many files and folders there are owned by SYSTEM or TrustedInstaller and won't let us mere mortals delete them.

The easy solution would be to reformat D: but I don't want to have to buy more replacement hardware.

LorenWright, Mar 12, 2017
  3. Windows 10 does not recognize my second hard drive

installed primary SSD with operating system on it. Installed secondary SATA hard drive for more storage. Secondary hard drive is not showing up in windows 10, but is recognized in bios on startup.

Jefferybailey, Mar 12, 2017
  4. essenbe Win User

If you would try, please look in the Users folder, yourusername and see if there are folders there like Desktop, Downloads, Pictures, Documents and such. If you didn't move your data to another location, that is where they should be. For example if your user name on that computer is Riz, your data should be in D:\Users\Riz.

If that does not work, please post a screenshot of your current C drive and E drive just like you posted your D drive above.

Also, please post a screenshot of Disk Management. This will tell you how if you need to know. Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

essenbe, Mar 12, 2017
  5. RIZ
    Riz Win User
    Thank you for response Essenbe Sir

I've checked as you said. That drive contains the temporary data not the data has been removed.

Here is screen shots of all drives along with Disk Management.

6. essenbe Win User
    On disk D is where your data should be. Those are your libraries. Inside the pictures folder, your pictures should be in there, the same with Music and Documents.

Is that not your data on drive E?

It also appears your system is booting from Drive D. That drive has the System Flag, even though your current install is on another disk. That will happen if you do a clean install while another installation is connected. That would also be why you say you are getting the prompt to boot into Volume 1 or volume 2.

essenbe, Mar 12, 2017
  7. RIZ
    Riz Win User
    I've no any D drive data on drive E.

You said, Code: "It also appears your system is booting from Drive D. That drive has the System Flag, even though your current install is on another disk."[/quote] I just selected C drive and install Windows. I really don't know how it deleted D drive data. It was my mistake that I didn't unplug the secondary drive and while searching in internet, I came to know to unplug secondary drive when installing windows.

Is there any way to get my data back? I almost used many known data recovery software but in vain.

8. essenbe Win User

Then on D drive there is nothing inside those user folders? In the screenshot of your E drive, it appears to be data folders. You can copy and paste them anywhere you would like to. I notice you have a Western Digital Passport drive. Have you done any backups of your data to it? If not I would strongly suggest you do regular backups to different drives in the future. It would avoid problems such as this. I have been right where you are, for a different reason. I learned my lesson and keep regular backups on 3 different external hard drives now.

I will try to get you some help recovering data. Until someone comes to help, I would suggest you try no data recovery programs. I would leave everything just as it is right now. You do not want to hurt what chances you have of being able to recover your files.

essenbe, Mar 12, 2017
  9. RIZ
    Riz Win User
    Alas! This time I couldn't have backup.. My bad luck perhaps.

I stopped the software which I ran for recovering data.

Kindly do help me out so I can get my important data back. That's much necessary data I've lost. Kindly do something. I shall thankful..

10. axe0 New Member
    Hi Riz,

As Essenbe mentioned, but I'll specify it a bit more, do NOT do anything with the D drive.
    The D partition has 88% free space, there is a good chance that the data you want back is simply marked as free space but is still present.
    What I recommend first, disconnect the D drive to prevent accidental write actions overwriting the files.
    After the D drive is disconnected, you can prepare to recover data.

11. RIZ
    Riz Win User
    Hi axe0,

Thank you for reply,

How can I get data If D drive will be disconnected? Whereas D and E drive have the partition of 500GB drive.

12. f14tomcat Win User
    @Riz

Before you reconnect the "D" drive, download and install this Recovery program. It's been around for quite a while and does a good job of recovering data that had not been overwritten, or even partially overwritten. It's Free.

Recuva - Restore deleted files, even if you've emptied the Recycle bin! - Piriform

Once one have it downloaded and installed, post back. Do Not connect the drive back up yet. OK?

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  13. RIZ
    Riz Win User

Hi f14tomcat,

Thank you for response, No I didn't connect drive yet.

I'll back after unplug the drive.

14. RIZ
    Riz Win User
    Software has been installed Drive reconnected. Kindly do let me know what is the next step?

15. f14tomcat Win User
    Be right back Riz....

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive - Similar Threads - Installation old data

2. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  3. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  4. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed: Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives...
  6. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed: Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives...
  7. Steps to replace secondary data hard drive Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Steps to replace secondary data hard drive Windows 10: I cant find the recommended steps to replace a data drive in Windows 10. I plugged the new drive in, formatted, and am now copying the files over by doing a select all and copy. I plan on removing the old drive and putting the new one into the same spot. The only error...
  8. Installing old data drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing old data drive in new computer: My current laptop has two SSD drives both SATA interface. The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data. In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD 512GB and a 1TB HDD SATA interface. I plan on using the new...
  9. Moving Outlook Data Files to Secondary Drive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Moving Outlook Data Files to Secondary Drive: Hello All Trying to setup Laptop finally with MS outlook, and wanted to move the Outlook data files to my secondary storage drive, to limit writes on SSD drive (128gb m.2 ssd in laptop) Is it worth the hassle of trying to get it setup properly? did same thing months back...
  10. Windows 10 on secondary drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on secondary drive: Hey guys, I want to format my pc but before I do, I have a question that I'm hoping to have answered. I currently have a single SSD and two HDDs, the SSD I'm using primarily for Windows. At the moment, the SSD is defaulted as the C:\ drive and this has the annoying problem...