Windows 10: Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive

Discus and support Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Check the screen of chkdsk. Is Recuva still running? That may be what it's telling you. Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Riz, Mar 12, 2017.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive

Is Recuva still running? That may be what it's telling you.

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  2. RIZ
    Riz Win User

No, I stopped Recuva

3. f14tomcat Win User
    Can you eject the drive? MY PC, right click D:, Eject.

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  4. RIZ
    Riz Win User

No eject option found.

5. f14tomcat Win User
    Pardon me, but I thought earlier you said you had it disconnected. Is it an internal plugged into a SATA jack?

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  6. RIZ
    Riz Win User
    Yes, it's an internal plugged into a SATA jack.

7. f14tomcat Win User
    Something in the OS has ahold of it. Just run CHKDSK D: , without the /F. If it finds anything, we'll go from there. Or you could restart and see if the system will then let you do it with /F.

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  8. RIZ
    Riz Win User

Here is the result of CHKDSK.
    Code: C:\Windows\system32>CHKDSK D: The type of the file system is NTFS. WARNING! F parameter not specified. Running CHKDSK in read-only mode. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 213248 file records processed. File verification completed. 4341 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 278572 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ... Security descriptor verification completed. 32663 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 40996728 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required. 312568831 KB total disk space. 36609780 KB in 135331 files. 112744 KB in 32664 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 330771 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 275515536 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 78142207 total allocation units on disk. 68878884 allocation units available on disk.[/quote]

9. f14tomcat Win User
    Ok, Riz. Now I'm stumped. Not beaten! Just stumped. I'm hesitant to do much more, honestly because outside of apps like Recuva, data recovery at this level is getting out of my league, and I don't want to break something if it's fixable as is. If it were restoring images or similar, I would know where to go next.

Do @axe0 or @essenbe have any more ideas or other members that might know?

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  10. RIZ
    Riz Win User
    Thank you so much for your time, concern and of course effort you made to give your best.

Kindly suggest me if I should take it to any data recovery center or shop. Can they help to get all my data back?

11. f14tomcat Win User
    Yes, Riz, they can......butttttttttttttt, $$$. Others would know a good guesstimate, but reliable data recovery is not going to be cheap. I'd exhaust all resources here before going down that road. Just my opinion.

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  12. RIZ
    Riz Win User
    Thank you so much for your kind support. Will think about it.

Stay Blessed,

Kind Regards,

13. axe0 New Member

Boot into safe mode, then run the chkdsk command suggested by @f14tomcat. If the OS is still preventing it to run, just run it by pressing Y, it cannot be serious enough to cause more problems in safe mode.

14. RIZ
    Riz Win User
    Will check it and let you know.

15. f14tomcat Win User
    Thank you, Martijn......

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive - Similar Threads - Installation old data

2. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  3. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  4. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed: Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives...
  6. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed: Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives...
  7. Steps to replace secondary data hard drive Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Steps to replace secondary data hard drive Windows 10: I cant find the recommended steps to replace a data drive in Windows 10. I plugged the new drive in, formatted, and am now copying the files over by doing a select all and copy. I plan on removing the old drive and putting the new one into the same spot. The only error...
  8. Installing old data drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing old data drive in new computer: My current laptop has two SSD drives both SATA interface. The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data. In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD 512GB and a 1TB HDD SATA interface. I plan on using the new...
  9. Moving Outlook Data Files to Secondary Drive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Moving Outlook Data Files to Secondary Drive: Hello All Trying to setup Laptop finally with MS outlook, and wanted to move the Outlook data files to my secondary storage drive, to limit writes on SSD drive (128gb m.2 ssd in laptop) Is it worth the hassle of trying to get it setup properly? did same thing months back...
  10. Windows 10 on secondary drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on secondary drive: Hey guys, I want to format my pc but before I do, I have a question that I'm hoping to have answered. I currently have a single SSD and two HDDs, the SSD I'm using primarily for Windows. At the moment, the SSD is defaulted as the C:\ drive and this has the annoying problem...