Windows 10: Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive

Discus and support Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Boot into safe mode, then run the chkdsk command suggested by @f14tomcat. If the OS is still preventing it to run, just run it by pressing Y, it cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Riz, Mar 12, 2017.

1. RIZ
    Riz Win User

Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive

Here is the result of chkdsk
    Code: C:\Windows\system32>chkdsk D: /F The type of the file system is NTFS. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) Y Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid. Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ... 213248 file records processed. File verification completed. 4341 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ... 278572 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found. Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ... Security descriptor verification completed. 32663 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 39605976 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. No further action is required. 312568831 KB total disk space. 36386016 KB in 135331 files. 112744 KB in 32664 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 329231 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 275740840 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 78142207 total allocation units on disk. 68935210 allocation units available on disk.[/quote]

2. f14tomcat Win User

[/quote] This part could possibly cause Recuva to choke. Do you want to try that again? Deep Scan? See if it hangs at the same spot? I know it's almost 1:30 in the morning where you are (according to your time zone).

CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  3. essenbe Win User
    @f14tomcat and @axe0, do you think that at this point it would be wise for Riz to get another hard drive and clone his D drive to the new hard drive? In case there is damage to his D drive, the recovery drive could kill it and there would be no way to recover files. If he had a clone of the drive, there would be a copy of everything on a healthy drive to continue the process.

The resident expert in this is probably Jumanji. I could try to contact him and see if he can help. It will probably be tomorrow as I think it is around 1 A.M. where he is located.

essenbe, Mar 12, 2017
  4. RIZ
    Riz Win User

It's 1:30 AM but it's night here not morning. So, I'll try it again at morning and let you know.

5. f14tomcat Win User
    Ok, Riz. Meanwhile, we're looking at other options. Have a good night. TC

f14tomcat, Mar 12, 2017
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    Steve, that would be excellent. Thanks you. TC

f14tomcat, Mar 13, 2017
  7. essenbe Win User
    Done

essenbe, Mar 13, 2017
  8. jumanji Win User

Thank you essenbe for the call. I slept off the whole day unusually both AM and PM and just logged in to see your call.

I have just given a quick read. I need clarifications from the OP as well as Windows 10 experts here to understand the problem first.

Questions to the OP:

1. You said your 500GB disk was the secondary drive which had two partitions D and E. What was the extent of these two partitions in GB? What was in Partition D of that 500GB disk and what was in Partition E of that 500GB disk? Specifically where exactly was your 200GB data you want to recover?

2. Now looking at your Windows Disk Management screenshot at post #3, I see that the 500GB Disk has an unallocated 353 MB space, a C: partition of 270.10GB and E: partition of 195.31 GB. Is this C: Partition your original D: partition from which you want to recover the 200GB data?

Question to the Windows experts who have been on this thread:

Is the OP currently booting into Windows 10 from Disk 1 298.09 GB and current partition D: in it? Or is he booting from Disk 0, 465.76GB, current C: partition - where perhaps his original D: partition was there?

jumanji, Mar 14, 2017
  9. axe0 New Member
    I would at first guess that Disk 0 is the one he boots from, but the partitioning doesn't make sense with the problem description.

If my logic is correct, from point of view of the problem description, he'd boot from Disk 1 and wants to recover data from C: and E:.

10. essenbe Win User
    @jumanji this is the screenshot of DM from post # 3. (Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive)

Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive [​IMG]

As best as I can tell, Disk 1 Partition D has the System and active flags and therefore the boot files. Disk 0 is the OS drive. He states he forgot to disconnect the old system drive when he did a clean install, and his description of events sounds like he is in somewhat of a dual boot. On startup he states he is asked if he wants to boot into Volume 1 or Volume 2.

He tried to do a file recovery of partition D with Recuva and from the picture posted in post 22 it appears it found quite a few files, but the process hung and had to be aborted.

Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive [​IMG]

@Riz, please read Jumanji's posts slowly and follow his instructions exactly. If you do that he will be ablke to help you recover your files, if they are recoverable.

It seems as @axe0 and I posted at the same time. He was quicker, as usual.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Installation- old windows data in secondary drive - Similar Threads - Installation old data

2. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  3. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive: Hey,I have an operating system on my C drive already and very limited space. I'd like to install Windows 10 on a secondary drive, I have the ISO file ready to go and a valid key, I just need to know what to do to get it to install on the secondary drive. How do I do this?...
  4. Install Windows 10 on a secondary drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed: Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives...
  6. Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 cannot boot without secondary drive installed: Hello Everyone.I discovered this issue while trying to replace my 2TB HDD.I have windows 10 installed on a 120GB SSD - My idea was to keep the OS files isolated not only within a partition, but on their own SSD.In addition to the 120GB SSD, I have several other disk drives...
  7. Steps to replace secondary data hard drive Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Steps to replace secondary data hard drive Windows 10: I cant find the recommended steps to replace a data drive in Windows 10. I plugged the new drive in, formatted, and am now copying the files over by doing a select all and copy. I plan on removing the old drive and putting the new one into the same spot. The only error...
  8. Installing old data drive in new computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Installing old data drive in new computer: My current laptop has two SSD drives both SATA interface. The C: drive for operating system and programs and a D: drive for all my data. In a few days, I'll be receiving my new HP laptop. It comes with an M2 SSD 512GB and a 1TB HDD SATA interface. I plan on using the new...
  9. Moving Outlook Data Files to Secondary Drive

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Moving Outlook Data Files to Secondary Drive: Hello All Trying to setup Laptop finally with MS outlook, and wanted to move the Outlook data files to my secondary storage drive, to limit writes on SSD drive (128gb m.2 ssd in laptop) Is it worth the hassle of trying to get it setup properly? did same thing months back...
  10. Windows 10 on secondary drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on secondary drive: Hey guys, I want to format my pc but before I do, I have a question that I'm hoping to have answered. I currently have a single SSD and two HDDs, the SSD I'm using primarily for Windows. At the moment, the SSD is defaulted as the C:\ drive and this has the annoying problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 secondary old windows 7 disk