Windows 10: Windows 10 key install on Lenovo?

Discus and support Windows 10 key install on Lenovo? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Does anyone know how i can install my copy of Windows 10 Pro to a lenovo laptop? When i tired to install it i never got asked for a key so it always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by David9723, Apr 20, 2016.

1. David9723 Win User

Windows 10 key install on Lenovo?

Does anyone know how i can install my copy of Windows 10 Pro to a lenovo laptop? When i tired to install it i never got asked for a key so it always installs as windows 10 home since the laptop came with windows 8 home and i upgraded it to 10.

I think lenovo keeps the key in the bios.

:)

David9723, Apr 20, 2016

2. Windows 10 install on HDD with same key

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM license this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail
    Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also
    transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came
    on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 20, 2016
  3. JoeNamco Win User
    Windows 10 install on HDD with same key

If you buy a "new" system it will need a new key, as OEM versions cannot be transferred to another system, as getting a new HD and install it in your system you can do that, many programs online where you can get software to clone your old HD into the
    new HD.

JoeNamco, Apr 20, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello David, *Smile

Since you already have Windows 10 Home installed, you could use the method in the tutorial below to directly upgrade to Windows 10 Pro with your Pro product key.

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Brink, Apr 20, 2016
  5. I have the same issue with my laptop. I added a PID.txt file to my sources folder of my install media. Put your Pro key in it and it will install Pro instead of home. You won't be asked to enter a key either.
    Replace the X's with your key, then save the file as PID.txt, then put it in the sources folder of your install media. Only use it on that one PC though if your key is a Retail key. This won't help you right now, but the next time you do a clean install it will save you having to upgrade from Home to Pro.

[PID]
    Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

alphanumeric, Apr 20, 2016
  6. David9723 Win User
    Thanks i will give that a try. *Smile

David9723, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 key install on Lenovo? - Similar Threads - key install Lenovo

2. Reuse Windows 10 Pro OEM key on upgraded Lenovo from a Windows 10 Home key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reuse Windows 10 Pro OEM key on upgraded Lenovo from a Windows 10 Home key: I upgraded my Lenovo laptop's Windows 10 Home license with a Windows 10 OEM Professional key. Then, 1 week later, my primary drive failed. I was able to replace the drive and needed to factory reset the Windows 10. However, it is back to Windows 10 Home. How can I reapply mt...
  3. Reuse Windows 10 Pro OEM key on upgraded Lenovo from a Windows 10 Home key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reuse Windows 10 Pro OEM key on upgraded Lenovo from a Windows 10 Home key: I upgraded my Lenovo laptop's Windows 10 Home license with a Windows 10 OEM Professional key. Then, 1 week later, my primary drive failed. I was able to replace the drive and needed to factory reset the Windows 10. However, it is back to Windows 10 Home. How can I reapply mt...
  4. Reuse Windows 10 Pro OEM key on upgraded Lenovo from a Windows 10 Home key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Lenovo T440 function keys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lenovo T440 function keys: I can't figure out why the function keys F7 thru F12 don't work. And there are several Fn commands that don't respond. Only Fn +4 will put the computer to sleep. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-t440-function-keys/a624c8ab-e81b-4c73-8abd-8b17f2aac6f6
  6. Lenovo PC with Windows 10 cannot boot after Lenovo hardware installation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Lenovo PC with Windows 10 cannot boot after Lenovo hardware installation: Hi, Just after I booted my Lenovo PC a Lenovo message came up saying new hardware had been installed and I should restart the PC to enable it. When I did this the PC failed to boot, I just had the Lenovo sign against a black screen, and after a while the sign disappeared...
  7. can be installed on the lenovo T400 windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    can be installed on the lenovo T400 windows 10: i have wiindows 7 on my laptop and would like to have windows 10 cost free on it kann man auf dem lenovo T400 windows 10 instalieren
  8. Replacing WIndows 10 embedded BIOS key in a Lenovo Thinkstation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing WIndows 10 embedded BIOS key in a Lenovo Thinkstation: I purchased a new ThinkStation desktop PC which came with WIndows 10 Pro. I want to downgrade it to WIndows 10 Home and have purchased the appropriate license and product key from the Microsoft Store. However, ever time I try to install Home to replace Pro, including FDISK...
  9. Bitlocker key Lenovo 100S

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bitlocker key Lenovo 100S: Cant use the laptop as apparently Windows installed Bitlocker without my permission and failed to provide the unlock key. How can this situation be fixed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bitlocker-key-lenovo-100s/ced0aaf1-8617-4f07-b646-8375ec4f25db
  10. Lenovo issues with installing windows 10...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lenovo issues with installing windows 10...: So ive had this on multiple machines. Multiple disks. Multiple versions of disks. Always only happens on lenovos. So ive had a couple that will lockup with installing the anniversary update. Keep trying and they keep failing. Todays lenovo with newest disk made by the...