Windows 10: Windows 10 Media Creation Tool uses Old Build

Discus and support Windows 10 Media Creation Tool uses Old Build in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 a couple of years ago when I was running Windows 8 Pro. I've recently replaced motherboard, CPU and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DogsbodyCD, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool uses Old Build

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 a couple of years ago when I was running Windows 8 Pro. I've recently replaced motherboard, CPU and RAM which needs a new licence hence purchased a key for Windows 10 Home (cheaper than Pro which I don't need). I've found instructions for downgrading from Pro to Home but was stymied by the Windows 10 media creation tool. It turns out that it's using an older build (1803 I believe) while my computer is at build 1809. Any idea when the media creation tool will be updated or how to get an updated version? Conversely, is there a way to force the installer to proceed with the older build without wiping my drive so I can reactivate Windows with my new key?

On a positive note, I was pleasantly surprised by how well Windows 10 handled the MB, processor and memory update. I just ran my existing Windows 10 from my old hard drive and it set up the new system without a hitch. Definitely a significant improvement over having to do a clean install.

:)

DogsbodyCD, Nov 5, 2018

2. media creation tool

Hello,

The Windows Media Creation Tool allows you to download the Windows 10 ISO directly from Microsoft, without having a product key. You can use it to clean install or upgrade to Windows 10. It can also be use to download the different editions of Windows 10.
    Refer to this
    link
    to download the Windows 10 Installation Media Tool.

As for the build and version of your Windows 10, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard to open up the run command prompt.
    • Type winver into the run command text box and hit OK. You should now see a dialog screen revealing the OS build and registration information.

Should you need additional assistance, do let us know.

Jennifer Bri, Nov 5, 2018
  3. Can I use Media Creation Tool (MCT) to get the latest Windows 10 build?

Yes you can use Media creation Tool to download the November update.make sure the tool downloaded has a version 10.0.10586(checked by going to properties>Details>version).

Media creation Tool is now updated with Version 1511, OS Build 10586 of Windows 10.

Download link for Media Creation Tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Detailed steps on how to Download an ISO using Media creation Tool:

Download Windows 10 ISO File

The size of the update through Windows update and ISO are nearly the same.

HTH

Sumit Dhiman2, Nov 5, 2018
  4. Vijay B Win User

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool uses Old Build

Media Creation Tool Won't Download ISO

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

What is the exact and complete error you get when you try to create Media creation tool?

I would suggest you to try the steps from the following link to create Media creation tool.

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Vijay B, Nov 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Media Creation Tool uses Old Build

1. Windows 10 Media Creation Tool uses Old Build - Similar Threads - Media Creation Tool

2. problem using media creation tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    problem using media creation tool: I have tried unsuccessfully to create a windows 10 USB boot drive. I keep getting the following error: 0x0200013-0x90019. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-using-media-creation-tool/0f5bb36a-03bc-4d03-8d95-dcc215cc73a0
  3. Use old Windows 10 installer or create new with Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use old Windows 10 installer or create new with Media Creation Tool: I have Box license for Windows 10. Is it better to use USB drive that comes with BOX license or create a new one with Media Creation Tool and why? Windows 10 pendrive from Box is read only so for sure it's safer. No risk of files corruption or infected by malware installer....
  4. Use old Windows 10 installer or create new with Media Creation Tool

Use old Windows 10 installer or create new with Media Creation Tool: I have Box license for Windows 10. Is it better to use USB drive that comes with BOX license or create a new one with Media Creation Tool and why? Windows 10 pendrive from Box is read only so for sure it's safer. No risk of files corruption or infected by malware installer....
  5. Windows 10 License using Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 License using Media creation tool: Hi, I am using Thinkpad t560 with core i5 and 8GB Ram. This machine has builtin OS Windows 10. I am having some serious issues with my laptop. I tried to reinstall windows using reset pc settings as well as windows 10 update assistant tool, but the issue is persistent....
  6. Windows builds in media creation tool

Windows builds in media creation tool: I recently reinstalled windows using media creation tool and noticed that during inatallation it shows that iso was modified at july 10 instead of may which should be the case of 2004 build/may update. And it seems there were less updates initially after installation...
  7. Media Creation Tool ISO build question

Media Creation Tool ISO build question: Hi all, When you go to the Microsoft website to download the Media Creation Tool, is there any way of knowing the exact build of the ISO file before you download it? I cant find anywhere on the website where this might be listed. All it tells you is it is version 1903. Back...
  8. Windows 10 media creation tool downloaded an older build

Windows 10 media creation tool downloaded an older build: This evening I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on my PC I have been having issues with the 1809 update showing up even after trying all of the corrections I found online. I decided to check and according to the Install.esd file, the build that the media...
  9. Using Windows 10 Media Creation tool

Using Windows 10 Media Creation tool: Hello The tech I have been working with told me to download the WMC tool to help straighten out my W10 system. He said I will need a 6 gig flash drive. I downloaded the tool to another computer and it is only a 17 MBT .exe file? Why do I need a 6 gig flash drive for this...
  10. Media Creation Tool updated for Windows 10 build 10586.36

in Windows 10 News
    Media Creation Tool updated for Windows 10 build 10586.36: The media creation tool now downloads 10586.36 by default. This is good news as it shows MS intend to keep the isos up to date. No longer windows 7 style 200+ updates on a clean install. How to Download a Windows 10 ISO with Media Creation Tool Also version selection...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. media creation tool old

2. windows 10 media creation toll for old