Windows 10: Windows 10 Media creation tool will not allow me to select a USB

Discus and support Windows 10 Media creation tool will not allow me to select a USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to use the MCT to make a bootable install USB for my new PC. I go through all the steps as I have done many times (I've created a ton of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by StewatTurkeylink, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Windows 10 Media creation tool will not allow me to select a USB

I am trying to use the MCT to make a bootable install USB for my new PC. I go through all the steps as I have done many times (I've created a ton of install USB using this tool) and never get the option to select the USB. Instead I keep getting this screen:

https://i.imgur.com/PICbgRV.png

This has become very frustrating very quickly. As I have said I have done this many times in the past with the same PC for the tool to suddenly stop working is annoying. I have reformatted the USB many times and still no luck. As it stands I have a new expensive PC with no Windows to install on it. Any help to fix would be appreciated

:)

StewatTurkeylink, Oct 20, 2018

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Oct 20, 2018
  3. How to create an UNACTIVATED Windows 10 installation USB flash drive using the new Media Creation Tool v1803??

I want to note also that the Media Creation Tool didn't give me the option to select the Edition of Windows 10 at the step you can choose the Language, Edition and Architecture. The only thing that was in the list was only the "Windows 10" option, not other
    editions...

So, is this a BUG of Media Creation Tool or I have misunderstood something? Is this reasonable?

Also is it reasonable when you install Windows (by USB Flsah drive created with Media Creation Tool) to be activated on its own after installation finishes??

MinimalTechGR, Oct 20, 2018
  4. Bree Win User

Windows 10 Media creation tool will not allow me to select a USB

Resetting PC problem via windows and media creation tool

Maybe its something about how you made the USB. To make a USB that will be certain to be bootable, download the Media Creation Tool and follow the steps in Option One of this tutorial.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

at step 6, leave the 'Use the recommended options for this PC' box checked.
    at step 8, select 'USB flash drive'.

Thema:

Windows 10 Media creation tool will not allow me to select a USB

1. Windows 10 Media creation tool will not allow me to select a USB - Similar Threads - Media creation tool

2. Media Creation Tool is not prompting to select media type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool is not prompting to select media type: I am trying to download Windows 10 to a USB Flash drive that has 16GB to install into another computer. When I run the Media Creation Tool, I get to the screen that allows me to select the Language, Architecture and Edition, I uncheck the box for Use the Recommended options...
  3. Media Creation Tool is not prompting to select media type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool is not prompting to select media type: I am trying to download Windows 10 to a USB Flash drive that has 16GB to install into another computer. When I run the Media Creation Tool, I get to the screen that allows me to select the Language, Architecture and Edition, I uncheck the box for Use the Recommended options...
  4. Media Creation Tool is not prompting to select media type

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  6. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB: I am trying to create an instillation drive so I can put windows 10 on an HDD, but every time I get the message "8GB of free disk space needed on C:" which is my SSD not my flash drive. The drive is 3.0 usb, 32 GB, so I don't know why it won't target the external drive. It...
  7. Media Creation Tool Not Installing to USB

8. Windows Media Creation Tool not showing USB drive selection screen

Windows Media Creation Tool not showing USB drive selection screen: I was using the media creation tool to create a windows 10 bootable drive with a usb. But after I selected the version it said that I didnt have enough space on my C drive which was the drive that I was using on my current computer without even giving me an option to select...
  9. Windows 10 media creation tool - selecting disc issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 media creation tool - selecting disc issue: So i've recently come into a lot of trouble on my PC and have had to use the media creation tool to help get windows back. When I reach the screen that asks if I want to upgrade the current windows or install on a new driver, when I try to upgrade I get a message that says I...
  10. Need help on windows 10 media creation tool! Won't allow me to select a usb!

Need help on windows 10 media creation tool! Won't allow me to select a usb!: After hours of tireless searching on the internet and watching hours of youtube videos with no help. I finally decided to ask the question myself. when I am download the media creation tool thingy it does ask me if it is for another computer or to update this one, I obviously...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. choose which media to use option not showing in windows download tool

2. trying to use windows media creation tool doesnt ask if i want to use usb

3. windows installation media doesnt allow me to choose windows 10 home

4. installation media doesnt give option for usb,
  5. cannot choose usb as installation media,
  6. windows doesnt allow me to download software,
  7. windows usb media choose edition,
  8. media creation tool not seleting usb,
  9. windows media creation tool skips usb selection,
  10. create windows installation media 10 does not allow usb option,
  11. windows media creation no oprtion to select drive,