Windows 10: Windows 10: Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer do not save passwords

Discus and support Windows 10: Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer do not save passwords in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've just done a complete re-installation of Windows 10. Windows carried over my IE/Edge histories and such, but not passwords. Using Edge, I found... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BillyBissette, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Windows 10: Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer do not save passwords

I've just done a complete re-installation of Windows 10. Windows carried over my IE/Edge histories and such, but not passwords.

Using Edge, I found it did not save passwords on web sites. The options are set to save passwords; it simply doesn't do so. It did not even ask if I wanted to save passwords. Checking the manage passwords option, no passwords are present. (This is not an issue with non-Microsoft browsers. It was not an issue several years ago when I'd saved several passwords using Microsoft browsers with Windows 10. This is also not a case of sites being set to not save passwords, as nothing at all is in the Manage Passwords panel.)

I switched to Internet Explorer, for the same results. IE will not even ask to save passwords for any site.

I went to the Credentials Manager. The Credentials Manager says that no web passwords have been saved.

I did a web search. I found this problem has been widely reported for the last two years, and that Microsoft has never fixed it nor apparently given a satisfactory solution. Some Microsoft personnel have tried to help, but they've only given the same rote non-answers such as to turn on password saving (even though it is already on). Even this answers forum has a number of locked threads about the topic (with an even greater number of "I have the same question" counts), none that I've seen having resolved it. Mostly it seems people just give up and stop using Edge.

Checking other (non-Microsoft) solutions, one site suggested manually forcing credentials through an admin-level Key Manager (rundll32.exe keymgr.dll,KRShowKeyMgr). Even though I'd checked the radio button to enter the new key as a web password, the Credentials Manager showed Windows added as a Windows Credential instead of a Web Credential. Still doesn't work.

There are some other user solutions that people claim work, but they appear to rely on already having the password saved through Internet Explorer, making them not an actual solution.

One user suggested going to Edge's Settings > Advanced Settings > Manage Passwords and adding the information there, but Manage Passwords lists no web sites and has no "Add" button. Manage Form Entries and Manage Cards have "Add" button, but neither Manage Passwords nor Manage Permissions has an "Add" button. I cannot manually force a web site password through Edge.

:)

BillyBissette, Oct 20, 2018
  2. mixa Win User

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Windows 10: Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer do not save passwords wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

3. Brink Win User
    Turn On or Off Offer to Save Passwords in Microsoft Edge

I just finished some testing, and when you say "No" to saving password for a site, it will add the site to the "Manage passwords" list.

Deleting the site from the list will normally have Microsoft Edge ask you to save the password again afterwards.

If you haven't already, double check the list to make sure all instances of the site has been deleted, or delete all saved passwords to start fresh.

Microsoft Edge Saved Passwords - Manage in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 20, 2018
  4. Windows 10: Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer do not save passwords

Microsoft edge will NOT save my passwords.

To further isolate the concern, are you only experiencing this concern on websites that you've never visited or are there specific websites?

We suggest that you set Internet Explorer 11 to remember passwords and check if there will be any difference with Microsoft Edge's behavior. For steps on how to do so, see the steps found
    here.

Let us know how it goes.

Patricia Yu, Oct 20, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10: Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer do not save passwords

1. Windows 10: Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer do not save passwords - Similar Threads - Microsoft Edge Internet

2. Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge: Hi Community,I’ve been trying to access an internet explorer website using my macbook on microsoft edge. however the website prompts me to download internet explorer 11 or higher in order to access.however i have not found a solution....
  3. Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge: Hi Community,I’ve been trying to access an internet explorer website using my macbook on microsoft edge. however the website prompts me to download internet explorer 11 or higher in order to access.however i have not found a solution....
  4. internet explorer , not microsoft edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    internet explorer , not microsoft edge: hi all, I took my internet explorer off my task bar and now I cant use anything but Microsoft EDGE , which I hate. Can anyone tell me how I can get my old internet explorer search engine back? thanks james...
  5. Microsoft Edge Access to Saved Passwords

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Edge Access to Saved Passwords: These are the hoops one goes through to view saved passwords using Edge: Settings>Passwords and Autofill>Manage Passwords>Select website. To see what's hidden by dots, go to Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage Web Credentials. Then select the same website and to view the...
  6. Internet Explorer 11 not saving passwords

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Explorer 11 not saving passwords: Dear All, I have a laptop that runs Windows 10 Enterprise and I use Internet Explorer 11 as my web browser. I have just been issued with the laptop and so have a fresh install on Windows 10. When I go to websites that ask me to enter username and password Internet Explorer...
  7. Microsoft Edge won't save passwords

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge won't save passwords: Hi, I have a problem with Microsoft Edge. It won't save my passwords on sites, nor it will ask me to save passwords on sites. I have quite a few that were save previously with Windows 7, but obviously, not all of them have transferred to Windows 10. I have been to Settings,...
  8. Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11: I play a game that when I click on a link in the Chat it opens my browser and opens it directly to the link, but my Default browser is Microsoft Edge but, it always opens for me Internet Explorer 11. Can anyone help me in this please? 31738
  9. Enable or Disable Save Passwords in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Save Passwords in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Save Passwords in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Save Passwords in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to...
  10. Manage Saved Passwords in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Manage Saved Passwords in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Manage Saved Passwords in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Manage your Saved Passwords in Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster,...