Windows 10: Windows 10 new Reset feature ?

Discus and support Windows 10 new Reset feature ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Back in March 16, the Windows team of MSFT revealed that Windows 10 won't use a separate "Recovery" image for "Refresh" and 'Reset" feature.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Anshad Edavana, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Windows 10 new Reset feature ?

Hi

Back in March 16, the Windows team of MSFT revealed that Windows 10 won't use a separate "Recovery" image for "Refresh" and 'Reset" feature. Later MSDN page on "Reset" is updated with some more info about this new change.

So according to MS, "Reset" feature will be built in to OS even if we install "Windows 10" from a retail DVD and the process will build a new OS by using updated system files from the old installation.

Has anyone tried this new 'Reset" feature ?. As a PC tech who has to perform a lot of repair and recovery, i am more interested to know about system recovery features than UI design changes. Sadly, due to low net bandwidth, it's impossible for me to download and trying latest TP builds and that's why i am asking here.

:)

Anshad Edavana, Jul 5, 2015

2. Internet Usage Meter

The question wasn't 'what are the features of the broadband usage meter in windows 10?' it was: how does one reset it? If this isn't possible then for those of us who are on a metered connection this feature of the new windows is useless; shame on Microsoft.

DenisePhartbracelet, Jul 5, 2015
  3. Stephen Boots, Jul 5, 2015
  4. Windows 10 new Reset feature ?

A link to the original article would help?

alphanumeric, Jul 5, 2015
  5. Wenda Win User
    I have never used either, and am not likely to - I use system images in preference (I use Easeus Backup & Recovery ver 6.5).

BTW, anyone else notice that the 'old' imaging facility from Vista and 7, which got the heave-ho in 8/8.1, has returned in 10162? Pretty sure it wasn't in earlier builds I've tried.

It's not the greatest of its kind, but it works, and is better than nothing. Wonder whether it will make it to final release?

Wenda, Jul 5, 2015
  6. Gary Win User
    It probably works like the one in Windows 7, real slow. I use Macrium Reflect. The backup is faster than MS's and the restore can be done in less than 5 minutes. Faster if you use SSD's.

Gary, Jul 5, 2015
  7. Wenda Win User
    Yeah, I haven't tried it yet, but as I said it is basic. And slow. But it works well enough if you are patient (and don't want a screenful of options).

I did try Macrium at one stage, but I have the full version of Easeus so I may as well use it. I've certainly had no cause for complaint.

Wenda, Jul 5, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 new Reset feature ?

Brink, Jul 5, 2015
  9. It's basically to either reset or refresh Windows 10. <<< But from a custom image stored on the hard drive instead of having to have your DVD or thumb drive install media handy. If I read that correctly.

10. DavidY Win User
    DavidY, Jul 5, 2015
  11. Ztruker Win User
    Still exposed to the same hard drive failure problem. Is there a way to create recovery media so if a hard drive fails you can replace it and restore to factory state?

Edit: Never mind, I found Create a recovery drive under Settings.

Ztruker, Jul 5, 2015
  12. I don't think that does what you think it does. In windows 8.1 its a small image with limited functions. http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html. Let me know what it does in Windows 10.

13. Brink
    Brink New Member

You could also create a custom reset image where you like that would be used instead when you reset Windows. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jul 5, 2015
  14. I'm lost! What's the big deal about a Factory Reset?
    To get back to a Factory install, you're loosing every program you ever installed on your PC,
    then you're loosing all of the data files you've collected since the PC was originally installed.
    Plus, you get back all of the CRAP software that was installed at the factory. *cry *Sad

I'd prefer a root canal to a Factory Reset!!! *Wink

My own alternative, is to take the new PC, tweak it and tune it for maximum efficiency, then DE-Install all the Crapware that came with the factory install, then install all my own favorite programs that I use daily, re-install all my data files and finally when it's exactly the way I want it, I do a Ghost Backup of the C: drive to either a secondary hard drive or an external USB hard drive. (your Backup/Restore program MUST NOT be on your C: drive, in case that drive crashes)

Then if anything goes haywire, I can boot up with my Ghost boot disk (CD, or flash drive), run a Ghost Restore and I'm right back to where I was when I did the last Ghost backup.

To try to stay up to date, I make a new Ghost Backup once a week and a full Data Backup to an external FD or HD whenever I add new files to my data folders. (that could be Daily, using a DOS Batch File, with XCOPY)

Just last week, I had to do a Ghost Restore, to get rid of some nasties that were messing up Windows.
    All I lost in the process was a few emails that I had not saved. No big deal.

So can we please, do away with this Factory Reset garbage?

*Cool

TechnoMage, Jul 5, 2015
  15. Boozad Win User
    It will save a lot of users who are nowhere near as tech savvy as most of the regular users here and on the sister forums and have never heard of Macrium or Ghost.

Boozad, Jul 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 new Reset feature ? - Similar Threads - Reset feature

2. Some Windows 11 features looking like windows 10 after reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some Windows 11 features looking like windows 10 after reset: Hello, I recently factory reset my laptop using a bootable drive. After the reset, I noticed that some features were looking like in Windows 10. For example, when changing the volume with your keyboard, the volume bar appears Image Uploaded link because unable to upload the...
  3. Some Windows 11 features looking like windows 10 after reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some Windows 11 features looking like windows 10 after reset: Hello, I recently factory reset my laptop using a bootable drive. After the reset, I noticed that some features were looking like in Windows 10. For example, when changing the volume with your keyboard, the volume bar appears Image Uploaded link because unable to upload the...
  4. Windows 10 admin account locked. Reset password gives message "This feature requires...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 admin account locked. Reset password gives message "This feature requires...: Hi, I am using Windows 10. I could not access my admin account and reset password gives this message "This feature requires removable media, such as USB flash drive ". I have been using this machine for months and did not change its password. I don't know how come I have this...
  5. Windows 10 admin account locked. Reset password gives message "This feature requires...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 admin account locked. Reset password gives message "This feature requires...: Hi, I am using Windows 10. I could not access my admin account and reset password gives this message "This feature requires removable media, such as USB flash drive ". I have been using this machine for months and did not change its password. I don't know how come I have this...
  6. Windows 10 admin account locked. Reset password gives message "This feature requires...

7. Registry resets itself so Windows Feature Update Not Installing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry resets itself so Windows Feature Update Not Installing: HelloI use a PowerShell script to install the latest Windows 10 and 11 Feature Update. As a part of this, it sets various registry keys such as the TargetReleaseVersionInfo to be 22H2. It works a treat as it doesn't reboot and we have a separate script that will do the...
  8. Registry resets itself so Windows Feature Update Not Installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry resets itself so Windows Feature Update Not Installing: HelloI use a PowerShell script to install the latest Windows 10 and 11 Feature Update. As a part of this, it sets various registry keys such as the TargetReleaseVersionInfo to be 22H2. It works a treat as it doesn't reboot and we have a separate script that will do the...
  9. Registry resets itself so Windows Feature Update Not Installing

10. Can't get out of safe mode no reset features.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get out of safe mode no reset features.: My computer is stuck in safe mode, no matter what I turn off. It doesn't allow me to use my pin as it says "setup my pin" while I already have one also a store notification pops up asking me to search for app in the store. I can't reset my pc because there is only 2 options....