Windows 10: Windows 10 on a new SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 on a new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I've run into a problem with my HDD recently and I was told to upgrade to a new SSD for my Lenovo Y410p (Info:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hyun0819, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Hyun0819 Win User

Windows 10 on a new SSD

Hello,

I've run into a problem with my HDD recently and I was told to upgrade to a new SSD for my Lenovo Y410p (Info: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...-series/y410p/)

I purchased the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD to replace the current failing HDD.

However, I can't get to the desktop right now due to HDD issues so I can't run the program to migrate the HDD image over to the SSD.

So the two questions I have are:
    can I do a clean install of Windows 10 on my new SSD without cloning my HDD? (I upgraded to Windows 10 on my laptop already)

Also, is it okay to just simply replace a failing HDD with a new SSD without cloning the HDD over to the new SSD?

As you can tell, I'm not knowledgeable about computers so I apologize in advance.
    Any help is appreciated!

:)

Hyun0819, Feb 20, 2016

2. Re-Activating Windows 10 On a VM On a New SSD

I recently replaced the SSD on my MackBook pro. I re-installed Windows 10 on my VM but I am unable to re-activate Windows on it. Before I replaced my SSD I deactivated the license so I could transfer it to my new VM. When I run the troubleshooter to try
    and find the device linked to my Microsoft Account it cannot find it yet when I log into my account through a web browser I can see the device listed. Anyone have any tips to reactive my Windows 10 device running on a VM?

Niitz0fK0Lumbus, Feb 20, 2016
  3. Re-Activating Windows 10 On a VM On a New SSD

Do this to the virtual machine, change the machine name to the one listed in the Activation Troubleshooter wizard, then restart.

How-To Rename or Change Your Computer Name in ... - groovyPost

If that does not work, then use the original key to reactivate using chat support:

If you are unable to activate Windows 10 after all the above and you are certain you have the correct edition installed, then please attempt chat support:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

or

Use the following link to directly reach a live agent who can assist you:

https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/en-us/contact/menu/software/windows/setup/

Andre Da Costa, Feb 20, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Windows 10 on a new SSD

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

You can certainly do a clean install of W10 onto the new SSD. I would take out the old HDD completely before you do so that it does not end up interfering in the process. You can always add it back later to see if you can extract any data files from it.

The clean install process is outlined here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html

You do not need to worry about product keys so just skip that step and when you have finished W10 will activate automatically because you have already had an activated W10 on your device and that information is associated with the motherboard not the previous HDD.

You will need to reload any programs you had and hopefully you had already backed up your data but if not you can re-attach your old HDD via a USB adapter and see if you can extract anything from it.

philc43, Feb 20, 2016
  5. Hyun0819 Win User
    Before the HDD failed, I had to do a factory reset. But I either moved my important files to a USB or uploaded them online beforehand. I don't know if that counts as a data backup but all the programs and files I need are safely stored.

I've been worried that it was necessary for me to copy the HDD data to the new SSD.

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

Hyun0819, Feb 20, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    It sounds like you are well prepared and have a copy of all your data. The other thing I should have said is that you might need to update the various drivers for your Laptop from the Manufacturer's website, however, it is quite possible that W10 will automatically load the best drivers for you. After you have installed you can check via the Device Manager to see if anything needs attention.

philc43, Feb 20, 2016
  7. Winuser Win User
    You have your data backed up. Your good to go. *Smile You'll just have to reinstall any programs you had on the HDD.

Winuser, Feb 20, 2016
  8. Hyun0819 Win User

Windows 10 on a new SSD

Thank you for the replies!
    Just a quick question on clean Windows 10 installation.

Right now, I can't boot up my laptop so how would i go about creating a bootable Windows 10 installation USB through Media Creation Tool?

Hyun0819, Feb 21, 2016
  9. philc43 Win User
    That could be tricky - do you have access to another PC/laptop?

I would ask a friend if they can help and use the following tutorial and pick option one to create a DVD or USB. Make sure you download the correct version for your system - Home or PRO, 64bit or 32bit, correct language.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html

philc43, Feb 21, 2016
  10. Hyun0819 Win User
    Okay, I will borrow a friend's laptop.

Also, when it says Boot from USB, do I simply plug in the USB and power up my laptop with the new ssd?

Sorry about all these basic questions. My new ssd is coming tomorrow and I just want to make sure I know everything!

Hyun0819, Feb 21, 2016
  11. philc43 Win User
    It depends if you laptop is setup so that it can boot from USB drives, you may have to make some changes in the BIOS to turn off Secure Boot. If your laptop has a DVD drive that will be the easiest way and you burn your ISO to a DVD. Due to the space on a DVD you will only be able to put one version so do not try to create one with both 32 and 64bit options.

philc43, Feb 21, 2016
  12. Hyun0819 Win User
    Okay! Thank you so much!

I will update the post after trying ssd and win 10 installation tomorrow.

Hyun0819, Feb 21, 2016
  13. cereberus Win User

Windows 10 on a new SSD

The 32+64 bit version will fit on a dvd. It is still only one iso.

cereberus, Feb 21, 2016
  14. Hyun0819 Win User
    Sorry again but do I install windows 10 with UEFI or without?
    I'm not entirely sure on my laptop's compatibility (info in original post) the tutorial mentions. All I know about the matter is that I saw that boot mode in BIOS was set to UEFI.

Hyun0819, Feb 21, 2016
  15. philc43 Win User
    I think if your laptop is already set up with UEFI Bios then that will be the route you use.

philc43, Feb 21, 2016
Thema:

Windows 10 on a new SSD

1. Windows 10 on a new SSD - Similar Threads - SSD

2. Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?: I've been using this SSD for some time now and I have over 300GB of important documents, videos, and photos I need access to but it will show me contents in any other folder. I've tried to every other way, even trying to boot from it even when it used to boot it wouldn't...
  3. Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Accessing document files from SSD hooked to a USB attachment?: I've been using this SSD for some time now and I have over 300GB of important documents, videos, and photos I need access to but it will show me contents in any other folder. I've tried to every other way, even trying to boot from it even when it used to boot it wouldn't...
  4. Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?: My LaCie SSD Pro external drive that I work from everyday randomly will not be recognized by my laptop. A different LaCie SSD drive works, the cable and port both work, and the drive can be recognized by other computers. I know Windows ran an update the morning before it no...
  5. Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?

Why has my laptop stopped recognizing my LaCie SSD Pro after Windows ran an update?: My LaCie SSD Pro external drive that I work from everyday randomly will not be recognized by my laptop. A different LaCie SSD drive works, the cable and port both work, and the drive can be recognized by other computers. I know Windows ran an update the morning before it no...
  6. PC unable to boot due to SSD W11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC unable to boot due to SSD W11: PC had completely frozen so I restarted it, then during boot up says,[Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key]So I open BIOS and there seems to be no issue so I google the problem and end up creating a Recovery drive...
  7. PC unable to boot due to SSD W11

PC unable to boot due to SSD W11: PC had completely frozen so I restarted it, then during boot up says,[Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key]So I open BIOS and there seems to be no issue so I google the problem and end up creating a Recovery drive...
  8. How to run OS from SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to run OS from SSD?: The issue I have is that my operating system is on my C hard drive, while the EFI that boots my computer is on my SSD. My goal is just to move everything to the SSD so it boots the operating system from there I just want to speed up my computer. But, I can't simply migrate...
  9. How to run OS from SSD?

How to run OS from SSD?: The issue I have is that my operating system is on my C hard drive, while the EFI that boots my computer is on my SSD. My goal is just to move everything to the SSD so it boots the operating system from there I just want to speed up my computer. But, I can't simply migrate...
  10. Windows ssd to Mac

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows ssd to Mac: Hi, I'm Justin and have a stressful problem.Recently my old laptop was broken which was operating in Windows and to save my data I took ssd m.2 nvme out of it. And what I want to do now is to transfer all my data to my new Mac so I'm thinking about buying an external case for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. activating w10 on same computer on ssd