Windows 10: Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 Keeps Asking to Verify

Discus and support Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 Keeps Asking to Verify in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; So basically after a certain amount of time, when I reboot my Surface Pro 3 or sometimes even leave it running for that long, I wind up getting hit by... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by eternalrz, Oct 6, 2015.

1. eternalrz Win User

Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 Keeps Asking to Verify

So basically after a certain amount of time, when I reboot my Surface Pro 3 or sometimes even leave it running for that long, I wind up getting hit by an error that says that I need to verify my identity. I then have to go over to the Accounts option in Settings and then click the word "Verify" to type my PIN in, otherwise all installed Windows Store apps crash, Cortana becomes disabled and reverts back to the standard search function. I've already tried making a new User Account, reinstalling Windows 10, using an account troubleshooter, restarting and signing in with my original password (not the PIN), clearing the extra devices that are called "PC" under my account that my Surface Pro 3 seems to create every time this issue appears at Sign in to your Microsoft account and Sign in to your Microsoft account, changing my Microsoft account password, and of course, verifying my identity by typing in my PIN. Nothing works. Does anyone else have this problem or knows the fix for this? Aside from taking a hammer to the device?

:)

eternalrz, Oct 6, 2015
  2. Br1dge Win User

Windows 10 Repeat authentication issues

I've been on Windows 10 since launch day and on my PC it works fine but my Surface pro 3 has this really annoying problem, every so many minutes ( random) it keeps asking me to verify my Microsoft account. Meaning I go to the accounts page and hit verify.
    I've spoken to MS support and as suggested factory reset and re-installed 8.1 then 10 and with a day or so it all starts again. I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue. Any idea's anyone ?

Surface pro 3. Windows 10 Pro.

Br1dge, Oct 6, 2015
  3. Windows 10 kep loosing verified state of account ann register new PC to my device area

I'm on Surface Pro 3 running windows 10.

login as Microsoft account and it keep loosing verifies status and ask to enter new credential.

Entering pin does continue to work but it register =new PC to my profile every time.

I only have 2 devices using this credential at moment.

Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 Keeps Asking to Verify [​IMG]

Photographer_250, Oct 6, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You do understand you have to do more than enter your PIN? You then have to complete either your phone number or email address that MS will send a code to, then you enter that code on the next screen.

NavyLCDR, Oct 6, 2015
  5. eternalrz Win User
    If that was the case, I'd do that, and my problem would be solved and I wouldn't be posting threads here, but I don't get a next screen, I'm not prompted for anything else. It specifically asks for a PIN, and when I enter it, the window goes away and nothing else happens other than basically everything working again until it decides to ask me to verify again.

PS: don't talk down to me. I'm not computer illiterate seeing as I fix them as a side job.

eternalrz, Oct 6, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    I apologize, I did not mean to talk down to you.

NavyLCDR, Oct 6, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Oct 6, 2015
  8. joya Win User

I believe this should be an account-specific issue. Try to use a difference Microsoft account with your PC to see if the problem will vanish? Switch to a local account firstly and then change to use a new Microsoft account.

joya, Oct 6, 2015
  9. eternalrz Win User
    Thanks, I've stumbled across a method that seems to have worked as everything went to normal immediately after I applied the fix. Still testing for now, I'll know in a couple hours and then try the add/remove trusted devices fix. As for this issue being account specific, if that was the case, I would imagine that all three of my computers would be having this problem, but only my Surface Pro 3 does.

eternalrz, Oct 6, 2015
  10. Magxs Win User
    I have the exact same problem with my Surface and have bben looking for a solution. Unfortunatey I haven't found anything yet - doesn't seem to be a widepread issue.

Could you please share the fix you stumbled across? Would hugely appreciate any help.

Thanks

Magxs, Oct 9, 2015
  11. eternalrz Win User
    The "fix" I applied failed. Worked for like... A day. Now my next fix is getting a refund from Microsoft and taking my business elsewhere since this issue also seems to cause more problems down the line, like crippling the Store app.

eternalrz, Oct 9, 2015
  12. Magxs Win User
    Thanks for letting me know. I'm close to giving up too. Just can't get me head around this. As you say, it can't be the account, but must be the device. But it doesn't seem to be widespread. Can I just check two things:
    1. Have you registered your device through the Devices screen in your MS account?
    2. Did you change your Region/Language settings?

I have done both and wonder if one of them is causing this. I wouldn't expect a lot of users to do either of them.

Magxs, Oct 9, 2015
  13. Magxs Win User

Sorry, one more question. On your devices screen, can you remove your Surface from the list of devices? I can't remove the one instance of it that I have registered with the serial number. Seems to be a dead link. I can only remove the phantom devices that sometimes show up as either generic "PC" or with the correct PC name, but a slightly different version number of Windows 10.

Magxs, Oct 9, 2015
  14. eternalrz Win User
    I recently registered my device via the devices screen. Gonna see how that turns out. It'll probably make me verify my identity again by the time I wake up... And no language or region settings were changed. I'm just gonna get a refund and put it towards a Surface Pro 4 and see how that works out for 25 days or so and return it before the 30 day period is up if there are any issues.

eternalrz, Oct 9, 2015
  15. f14tomcat Win User
    My sp3 (i5) on win 10 rtm (10240) is fine. If I can provide any specs on mine, will be happy to share.

f14tomcat, Oct 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3 Keeps Asking to Verify - Similar Threads - Surface Pro Keeps

2. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  3. Surface pro 3

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface pro 3: Hellomy surface pro 3 SSD drive has stopped working completely cannot reset it or even get to the point of reformatting it i have resetting it using the recovery media from Microsoft even the manual ISO file tried reformatting the drive using different apps and i just want...
  4. Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Pro 3: Hi The Surface Pro tablets are brilliant and I have most probably been responsible to recommending many of them to friends following buy a Surface Pro 3 when they were released. Since a firmware update in recent times I have no issues and since then my keyboard if left...
  5. Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface Pro 3: Is there a app to turn my Surface Pro into a phone? Moved from: Surface / Surface Pro 3 / Install, update, and repair https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/surface-pro-3/3595d5eb-eefd-4427-81a5-68fc539fdff9
  6. surface pro 3

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    surface pro 3: lost admin rights on pc and surface pro3 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/surface-pro-3/1fa4e483-afcb-4eec-9f85-15b3b50f064f
  7. Win 10 Pro keeps de-activating on Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 Pro keeps de-activating on Surface Pro 3: My SP3 was originally on Win 8.1. I used Microsoft's media creation tool to create a USB installer for Win 10, then upgraded to Win 10 from usb. After upgrading, I verified that Win 10 was activated. I then booted from the USB installer and did a clean install. The...
  8. Corrupted Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Support
    Corrupted Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3: I have a Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10. It is running insider previews and this one is from July (so not the recent one that caused all the ruckus). Yesterday the computer randomly turned off and on restart I noticed that the CPU went to 100%, chrome wouldn't open (and...
  9. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3: Just upgraded my Surface Pro 3 to Windows 10. Now I have no network connections. The wireless drivers and the docking station drivers are all there. I have tried uninstall and reinstall the drivers for both Marvell and Surface ethernet adapter and still nothing....
  10. Windows 10 and Surface Pro 3 issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 and Surface Pro 3 issues: Hi there Any SP3 users out there yet -- I read this on the W8 Forums about problems on the SP3 after installing W10 on it. Surface Pro 3 will not boot from USB Anybody daring enough to have tried build 9879 on an SP3 yet (not as a VM). Cheers jimbo 3153