Windows 10: Windows 10 Partition Help on 1TB HDD

Discus and support Windows 10 Partition Help on 1TB HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I've got a 1tb hdd that I solely use for storing movies/video files. Atm it's divided into two partitions, one of them is 390gb and the other is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by framack4, Jan 10, 2018.

1. framack4 Win User

Windows 10 Partition Help on 1TB HDD

Hi,
    I've got a 1tb hdd that I solely use for storing movies/video files. Atm it's divided into two partitions, one of them is 390gb and the other is 540gb, but the 390gb partition is full. I'd like to merge these two partitions into one larger partition without losing my data, but I'm not sure the best way to do this. Is there some reliable software I can use? Google came up with EaseUS but I've never heard of it and I'm not sure if it's reliable or what. I also have a 101mb and 451mb slot saying "Unallocated" in disk management which I'd like to add to the partition. However, when I try to extend the 390gb partition using disk managament I get an error saying:The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which is not of type ‘PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID’, and is both preceeded and followed by a partition of type ‘PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID’.

I've attached a screenshot of my disk management. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

:)

framack4, Jan 10, 2018

2. Cloning a dual boot Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2

Hello,

I have a 500GB HDD with Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2 running on different partitions. I am planning to upgrade the HDD to 1TB SSHD.

Will system clone, clone the various partitions on my HDD and will they be bootable?

Thanks.

Olugbengar, Jan 10, 2018
  3. Rafay106 Win User
    Blue Screen error (winload.efi missing or contains error)

Hello,

This is my first time asking question here and sorry for bad english.

PC hardware: i5-7400, mb - Gigabyte H270M-D3H, HDDs - 1tb seagate barracuda and 500gb seagate hdd.

At that time i only had seagate 1tb hdd. I dont know why but my 1tb hdd somehow converted to dynamic disk and i cant install win10 in it, all options are disabled format, delete, next, extend etc. I was installing win10 beccause my old win10 got some error
    and cant be loaded and i formated drive C by cmd ( dont know why, i just thought that could enable next button). So i purchased new 500gb hdd and installed win10 successfully on it and backuped all my data from 1tb hdd to 500gb hdd then i deleted all partitions
    of 1tb and converted it to basic disk with gpt partition style. Then i installed win10 on 1tb hdd and when i tried to copy all data from hdd my pc very slowed down and all partitions of 500gb hdd gone from This pc. Then i tried to boot my pc with 500gb hdd
    and it showed winload.efi missing error and 500gb hdd started makeing clicking sound. Then i changed power cable connted to 500gb hdd (which is unable to load win10 and making clicking sound and can't be shown its partitions when i boot from 1tb hdd) and clicking
    sound is gone and then i booted my pc from 1tb hdd and all partitions are accessible by opening This Pc icon. So i copied all data from 500gb hdd to 1tb hdd. Then i thought i should also install win10 correctly in 500gb (which is showing winload.efi missing
    error) and when i did installed win10 in 500gb hdd i can't boot from 1tb hdd now (it is showing same error winload.efi missing).

I was installing win10 in 500gb hdd again bcz if 1tb hdd shows some error or again converts to dynamic disk so i change boot option and boot from 500gb hdd and backup all data from 1tb hdd and i could try to solve error.

And then i tried to install win10 in 1tb hdd again and it always shows some error, after finishing last step of installation and restarting, like winload.efi is missing and sometimes other files also. I have tried 7-8 times to install win10 in 1tb hdd and
    i can't it always endup in showing some error. But i can install and run window from 500gb hdd. I also deleted all partitions of 1tb hdd and created again after copying all data from 1tb hdd to 500gb hdd but nothing happens.

The reasion is C drive is of 50gb only of 500gb hdd and other left size is D drive in which all my data is currently present.

So please guys help me i want to install win10 in 1tb hdd and make it my primary hdd and i want to use 500gb hdd as secondary hdd for backing up etc.

My current conditiong is i am able to run win10 installed in 500gb hdd and i can't install windows in 1tb hdd

Rafay106, Jan 10, 2018
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jan 10, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    It's complaining about disk 1, partition 2.

A recovery partition is not of type ‘PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID’, the primary partitions are.

6. AddRAM Win User
    Whay is D marked Active, why do you have unallocated space on Disk 1 ?

Just make the entire drive 1 primary partition and have 2 folders 1 named videos and 1 named movies.

And if it's solely for movies and videos why is there a recovery partition on it ? It's most likely useless.

AddRAM, Jan 10, 2018
  7. framack4 Win User
    Thanks for all your help, I've used Partition Wizard and managed to clean it up to this by labelling D as inactive and merging/extending into one big partition:

Windows 10 Partition Help on 1TB HDD [​IMG]

One more thing though: I have two 455MB partitions in Disk 1, and both of them are using some space. I feel like I should only have one of them, and the other isn't meant to be there/is a duplicate, so I should be able to delete that and merge the unallocated space into C. So how do I find out which one to delete?

And @NavyLCDR the partition had 9% free space not 9% used Windows 10 Partition Help on 1TB HDD :p

framack4, Jan 10, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

...with a probability of 1 in 3 (there are two other recovery partitions on disk 0).

In a Command Prompt (Admin) type reagentc /info to find out which on is in use.

Edit:

They are both shown as recovery partitions, the reagentc command above will tell you which one is in use (unless, of course the active one was the one you removed from the other disk).

9. framack4 Win User
    I put reagent /info in elevated CMD but get this error: C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagent /info'reagent' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

Any idea? Thanks for the help as always

Lol nvm didn't see the C

framack4, Jan 10, 2018
  10. framack4 Win User
    Ignoring the previous post, this is what CMD has come up with:

Not sure what this means. Cheers

framack4, Jan 10, 2018
  11. Bree New Member
    Sorry, blasted auto-correct did that *Sad I was correcting the typo while you were trying it out.

BTW - the disk numbering in MiniTool starts at 1, but windows starts from 0. In Disk Management and reagentc that disk is shown as 0.

12. Bree New Member
    Not sure what this means. Cheers[/quote] It is showing nothing for 'Windows RE location:', I would have expected it to show something like this....

Code: Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE[/quote]
    It may mean the active recovery partition was the third one on the other disk.

13. framack4 Win User

It may mean the active recovery partition was the third one on the other disk.[/quote] Yeah, I reran the command in CMD and for some reason it said it was enabled and in Disk 0 partition 2. So I went into Partition Wizard and deleted Disk 0 (Disk 1 like u said) Partition 3. I've restarted the PC a couple times, but now it's saying Windows RE is disabled. Maybe this is nothing to worry about? Or is there something wrong. Either way thanks a lot for the help
    Cheers

framack4, Jan 10, 2018
  14. Bree New Member
    You can live without a recovery partition, it's only used for repairs. Make a Recovery Drive USB and you can boot from that if you need to - it has all the same tools as a recovery partition.

*Arrow Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10

15. framack4 Win User
    Awesome, I'll mark as solved! *Smile

framack4, Jan 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Partition Help on 1TB HDD - Similar Threads - Partition Help 1TB

2. 1TB HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1TB HDD: So i have a 1TB Barracuda HDD in my pc and my Local Disk C: has only 370GB and im wondering how i can use all of my leftover space and add it to my Local Disk C: , I also checked 'Create and format hard disk partions' and saw the other 560GB in primary just sitting there and...
  3. 1TB HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1TB HDD: So i have a 1TB Barracuda HDD in my pc and my Local Disk C: has only 370GB and im wondering how i can use all of my leftover space and add it to my Local Disk C: , I also checked 'Create and format hard disk partions' and saw the other 560GB in primary just sitting there and...
  4. 1TB HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Chkdsk fixing corruption/Partition Optimization 1TB HDD

Chkdsk fixing corruption/Partition Optimization 1TB HDD: Hello all, Ever since the beginning of using my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53, I have experienced stuttering whenever I doany kind of new task such as opening an application, opening a new tab, or even just scrolling through a loaded webpage.After doing a multitude of possible...
  6. partitioning on windows 10 on a 1tb ssd?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    partitioning on windows 10 on a 1tb ssd?: i will receive my new computer soon, and it has a 1 tb ssd. i was under the impression that generally, it was not recommended to partition ssd's. but now i read that for 1tb or larger capacities, its no biggie - is that true? generally i would prefer some split like...
  7. WINDOWS 10 20H2 PROBLEM ON MY 1TB HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WINDOWS 10 20H2 PROBLEM ON MY 1TB HDD: I would like to know why Windows 10 20H2 had an error after the reformat. Here our System Unit PC specs: AMD A8-7650k Radeon R7, 10 compute cores 4C + 6G 3.30GHz RAM: 8GB DDR3 1866MHZ HDD: Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200RPM Here's our picture after reformat of windows 10 20H2...
  8. Problema utilizzo HDD 1TB

Problema utilizzo HDD 1TB: Dopo aver assemblato il mio PC, ho scaricato il software windows in un SSD, quando entro in gestione attività con CNTRL+ALT+CANC vedo che il mio HDD, nominato come volume E formattato in NTFS, ha sempre un utilizzo del 100% pur non essendo presenti file o software, ma la cosa...
  9. 1TB HDD not Migrated

in Windows 10 Customization
    1TB HDD not Migrated: Why am I seeing this error? New 1TB HDD, and why is Windows not letting me use the HDD. Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_ST4000DM&Prod_000-1F2168\4&1f5e0e69&0&040000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. Last Device Instance Id:...
  10. New 1TB HDD Partition help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New 1TB HDD Partition help: Hello everyone, I need your help in setting up new hard drive. I am using 120 GB samsung ssd with 1 single primary partition in which i have windows 10 installed. I have bought another HDD of 1TB and created 4 partition to store data. After creating partition, i saw 3...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the selected gpt formatted disc contains a partition which is not of type partition_basic_data_guid