Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Keeps Freezing/Locking up

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Keeps Freezing/Locking up in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been getting this issue as of late and I don't know why. Contrary to what seems to be the popular case, I did not suffer through this when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by That Random Guy, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Keeps Freezing/Locking up

I've been getting this issue as of late and I don't know why. Contrary to what seems to be the popular case, I did not suffer through this when I installed the first creators update.

I've run through certain tests involving file system checks, memory checks, and other software checks (e.g. BIOS, firmware, etc.). I've also checked hardware and given the other posts regarding this issue as of late, I sincerely doubt that it's a hardware malfunction.

I've made double sure that the most obvious drivers are up to date. I've updated everything I can possibly think of, including my VPN client.

Incidentally, this issue has only initiated when I had Firefox running. I assumed after the 2nd time that it was due to multimedia content--thusly relating to my video drivers & Firefox--but the third time did not occur with any multimedia being loaded. I simply started Firefox and my machine froze. Left it for an hour and it stayed that way. It's only happened three times so far.

What's bothering me is that I've been checking the logs to see if anything could clue me in on what's causing this to happen, but just as it occurred to many who suffered through the first creator's update bug, I cannot pinpoint this darn catalyst.

In my case, this happens randomly. There is no time-bound expectation for this.

Whatever it is, however, it appears to only be activated when Firefox is running. Whether or not that's accurate needs to be verified.

I have included an attachment of the files requested for aid in this situation (as per the forum suggestions).

What can I do to further test this?

I can only assume Microsoft will eventually get whiff of this seeing as I'm not the only one with this issue.

It might also be worth mentioning that I cannot rollback to an earlier build due to the fact that I deleted that contingency with the disk cleanup utility. My only option now is to refresh my system or wait to get a fix for this.

For my sake, I sincerely hope it's sooner than later.

I'd rather avoid refreshing, but if I must, I will do so. *Shock

ATTACHMENT:
    BRYAN-AMD-Mon_11_06_2017_213913_90.zip

:)

That Random Guy, Nov 8, 2017

2. windows 10 pro 64 bit freezes randomly

Dear Zigzag3143,

I have installed almost same programs on both the computers (32 bit laptop and 64 bit desktop). The programs show no conflict (freezing) with windows 7 professional (64 bit) on the same desktop but, windows 10 pro freezes randomly with the same programs.

Interestingly, checking system before installing the upgrade to Windows 10 pro approves the system for installing the upgrade. So, there seems to be no problem with the desktop hardware for windows 10 pro.

VivekVerma_959, Nov 8, 2017
  3. RickGroth Win User
    computer freezes and locksup

I have Windows 10 (64 bit) on my HP Envy 24xt All-in-one PC. It randomly freezes and locks up so I need to disconnect the power and restsrt?

RickGroth, Nov 8, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Keeps Freezing/Locking up

Zip file contains no dumps. All I can see in Event Viewer output looks like a problem occurred right after you returned from sleep mode:
    Code: Event[1467]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter Date: 2017-11-06T15:27:37.956 Event ID: 1 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-19 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE Computer: Bryan-AMD Description: The system has returned from a low power state. Sleep Time: ?2017?-?11?-?06T20:22:30.511311300Z Wake Time: ?2017?-?11?-?06T20:27:35.951672700Z Wake Source: Unknown Event[1468]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM Date: 2017-11-06T15:30:38.574 Event ID: 10010 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: Classic User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Bryan-AMD Description: The server {784E29F4-5EBE-4279-9948-1E8FE941646D} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout. Event[1469]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client Date: 2017-11-06T15:43:17.611 Event ID: 1014 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-20 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE Computer: Bryan-AMD Description: Name resolution for the name www.nzblokes.co.nz timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded. Event[1470]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-General Date: 2017-11-06T17:27:35.768 Event ID: 12 Task: N/A Level: Information Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Bryan-AMD Description: The operating system started at system time ?2017?-?11?-?06T22:27:35.489275000Z. Event[1471]: Log Name: System Source: EventLog Date: 2017-11-06T17:27:43.280 Event ID: 6008 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bryan-AMD Description: The previous system shutdown at 3:30:16 PM on ?11/?6/?2017 was unexpected.[/quote] Without a dump it's hard to determine what the cause is. I didn't see any indication any dumps were created in the Event log either.

For now, I would suggest not using sleep or hibernate. Instead, setup a screen saver and have it turn off the screen after a set period of time.

I don't know what memory test you ran but I suggest running memtest86+ as follows. You have 16GB so it will take quite awhile, 12 to 20 hours.

===================================================
    Follow this tutorial: MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

MemTest86+ is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that:

• RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it
    • There are no errors when different parts of memory try to interact
    • There are no conflicts between memory addresses

Memtest86+ runs from bootable media to isolate the RAM from the system, no other components are taken into account during the test.

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Keeps Freezing/Locking up [​IMG]
    Warning MemTest86+ needs to run for at least 8 passes to be anywhere near conclusive, anything less will not give a complete analysis of the RAM.

If you are asked to run MemTest86+ by a Ten Forums member make sure you run the full 8 passes for conclusive results. If you run less than 8 passes you will be asked to run it again.

Note MemTest86+ has been known to discover errors in RAM in later passes than the eighth pass. This is for information only; if you feel there is a definite problem with the RAM and 8 passes have shown no errors feel free to continue for longer.

Running 8 passes of MemTest86+ is a long and drawn out exercise and the more RAM you have the longer it will take. It's recommended to run MemTest86+ just before you go to bed and leave it overnight.

Take a picture when done and post in the forum please.

If that doesn't show any problems then test your GPU (Geforce GTX 750Ti 2GB):
    Follow this tutorials to stress test your GPU:
    FurMark - GPU Stress Test - Windows 10 Forums

If you have a AMD APU instead of a discreet GPU, try UNIGINE 3D Benchmark..

Let's see what those tests show us.

Oh, please make sure your PC is configured for small dump files:

How to Configure Windows 10 to Create Dump Files on BSOD

Ztruker, Nov 9, 2017
  5. Update:
    I have since had no incidents since my posting here. I've been putting my PC to sleep and letting it sleep on it's own. Incidentally, I do have a screensaver configured, but I also still have my power settings set to sleep after a predetermined time.

I will run the memory tests with the recommended program today. I will aim for at least 10 passes and I will do the same tomorrow.

I want to avoid testing my GPU as it seems the suggested program comes with risk. I just got this card.

That Random Guy, Nov 10, 2017
  6. UPDATE:
    After running the test with memtest86, the result was that my RAM had no errors.

The pictures of those results are the following:

I am reluctant to continue on with the graphics card test as I've weary of it. I realize that for hardware to be ruled out, conclusive tests must be administered, but this hardware is relatively new. I only purchased it about 9-10 months ago. I understand that doesn't guarantee anything with respect to reliability or faulty hardware, but given the fact that my memory is in good condition (supposedly), I'm willing to bet my GPU is just as fine. Also, considering the other reports being shown not only here, but on other board sites and similar, I can't say this is relating to hardware at all. At least, not as the root cause.

Since I can't give access to dump files that don't exist, what else is there for me to do?

Can I not check logs to determine anything? There must be something that can give me at least a clue. Something that suspects the software, not the hardware. This hasn't been happening until I installed the FCU. There must be some software defect causing this.

That Random Guy, Nov 11, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    1) In the left lower corner search type system > open system control panel > on the left pane click advanced system settings > on the advanced tab under startup and recovery click settings > post an image into the thread

2) In the left lower corner search type clean > open disk cleanup > post an image of files to delete

3) If you use Ccleaner or similar software to delete files please comment in the thread.

4) Download and install Whocrashed > in the left upper corner above analyze click tools > click crash dump test > type: ACCEPT

5) Click analyze > view report > run the DM log collector > post zip into the thread

6) Open administrative command prompt and type or copy and paste:
    7) sfc /scannow
    8) dism /onlince /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    9) chkdsk /scan
    10) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread

11) msconfig (in the pop up system configuration > move the dot from normal startup to selective startup > uncheck load startup items > click service tab > in left lower corner check hide all Microsoft services > in the lower right side click disable all > click apply or ok > do not reboot)

12) taskmgr (in the pop up task manager > click on the start up tab > click on status so that the column sorts with enable rising to the top > right click on each row with enable and change to disable)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows
    How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

13) shutdown /r (you will reboot the computer so that it is in clean boot)

Evaluate the performance on your computer in clean boot during typical use.
    Are the boots faster or slower?
    Are the shutdowns faster or slower?
    How has the audio and video performance changed? Is it better, worse, or the same?
    How have the hangs or freezing changed? Are they better, worse, or the same?
    Continue using clean boot indefinitely to monitor performance.

14) type control in the left lower corner search > click on control panel > click on large or small icons > click on troubleshooting > on the left pane click on view all > run the following windows troubleshooters:

a) Hardware and Devices
    b) Video Playback
    c) Playing Audio > open audio enhancements > play test sounds > advanced > change sample rate > test multiple sample rates
    d) Recording Audio

For each troubleshooter make sure that advanced is clicked to apply repairs automatically.
    For each troubleshooter click on view detailed information.
    Report any problems using images that were fixed or not fixed.

zbook, Nov 11, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

Just thought I'd mention you did not run memtest86+ as asked. You ran memtest86. Different program and not the one we recommend testing with. It also needs to be run for at least 8 full passes as there have been many cases where failures occurred in the later passes.

Let it slide for now. @zbook will ask if he thinks it's needed later. Good luck.

Ztruker, Nov 11, 2017
  9. @Ztruker
    The reason I opted for memtest86 was because I found a source that mentioned possible incompatibility with newer builds. Can't remember now which one it was mentioning as I was under the impression they were the same. One just being slightly outdated and the other wasn't.

I was under the impression that the 8 passes would be run through the "test". It wasn't until I finished it the first time that I realized it only ran 4 passes and that I would effectively have to run 2 tests. Assuming memtest86+ follows in the same operations as the original program does, this would then require that I run two tests in total. Two tests. Not one. That will take time.

To alleviate any doubt, I will run the test with memtest86+ tonight. I will undoubtedly receive the same result. I'll upload the results for that after I've done the other things zbook as asked.

Right now, I'm almost positive this is a software issue. I need to determine why it happened and why it isn't happening anymore.

That Random Guy, Nov 12, 2017
  10. @zbook
    My results so far are the following:

1)

2)

3) I don't use CCleaner. I manage my stuff well and my build is pretty fast. SSDs bring me so much joy. *Smile

4) I ran the crash test and wound up with two dump files. I'm assuming DM Log output will carry that in somehow.

5) I will upload another archive of those files again.

DM LOG: BRYAN-AMD-Sun_11_12_2017_155715_95.zip

7) SFC results:

8) dism results:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.16299.15

Image Version: 10.0.16299.19

[==========================100.0%==========================] The restore operation completed successfully.
    The operation completed successfully.
    9) chkdsk results:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
    502272 file records processed.
    File verification completed.
    5368 large file records processed.
    0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
    12544 reparse records processed.
    598614 index entries processed.
    Index verification completed.
    0 unindexed files scanned.
    0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
    12544 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    48172 data files processed.
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    36479680 USN bytes processed.
    Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
    No further action is required.

233609215 KB total disk space.
    113112752 KB in 212531 files.
    150644 KB in 48173 indexes.
    0 KB in bad sectors.
    620775 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    119725044 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    58402303 total allocation units on disk.
    29931261 allocation units available on disk.

As for the remainder, I will have to get back to you. That will take time.

- T.R.G.

That Random Guy, Nov 12, 2017
  11. @Ztruker

To clear any doubt:

I can't really see this being a hardware issue, but if I could get more proof, then I'd be happy to get replacement hardware.

@zbook

I haven't seen any changes from the clean boot. AVG would not let me do a thorough clean boot. It appears there's almost no way to disable it. Disabling all other non-Microsoft services didn't really make much of a difference with booting up and shutting down AFAIC. It would probably show significant difference with AVG out of the way, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to completely disable it without uninstalling. I ran the recommended troubleshooters and came across no issues.

I've also rerun the above mentioned sfc and dism checks and all have reported no issues.

I have attached another DM log zip file.
    BRYAN-AMD-Thu_12_14_2017_225756_13.zip

Incidentally, my system has still been crashing. I've checked Event Viewer and all it tells me is that it rebooted unexpectedly. There have been other warnings and errors, but none that I believe would cause what I've been experiencing.

I think it should be noted that I attempted to install the KB4054517 update yesterday and I experienced one of the weirdest update processes ever. It might not be listed in the files under DM log, but I was able to identify a bug check error in Event Viewer after the failed installation attempt.

I will post a new thread detailing that as it isn't entirely related to this.

How do I proceed?

That Random Guy, Dec 14, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    The debugging of the mini dump displayed bugcheck EF with 1 misbehaving software driver:
    avgSP.sys

1) For startup and recovery > system failure > un-check automatically restart
    2) Uninstall AVG
    How to uninstall AVG software | AVG Support
    3) Turn on Windows defender
    4) Turn off Windows fast startup:
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials
    5) The BIOS: Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. F2, 7/15/2013update the BIOS F2 > F3
    GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global
    5) The freezing may be related to the Graphics card/driver.
    At this time let's see what happens after fixing the misbehaving AVG driver and update the BIOS

Code: avgSP avgSP avgSP File System System Running OK TRUE FALSE 16,384 323,584 0 11/14/2017 6:23:32 AM C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\avgSP.sys 12,288[/quote] Code: Event[3525]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot Date: 2017-11-23T19:53:09.854 Event ID: 29 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: Bryan-AMD Description: Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC0000411.[/quote] Code: Event[5391]: Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 2017-12-13T15:05:21.181 Event ID: 46 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bryan-AMD Description: Crash dump initialization failed![/quote] Code: Event[5688]: Log Name: System Source: Display Date: 2017-12-14T20:56:58.722 Event ID: 4101 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bryan-AMD Description: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.Event[5689]: Log Name: System Source: Display Date: 2017-12-14T21:03:37.677 Event ID: 4101 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: Bryan-AMD Description: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.[/quote] Code: 12/15/2017 2:50 AM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: BlueScreen Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: ef P2: ffff84846a680080 P3: 0 P4: 0 P5: 0 P6: 10_0_16299 P7: 0_0 P8: 256_1 P9: P10: Attached files: \\?\C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\121417-8203-01.dmp \\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-21093-0.sysdata.xml \\?\C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6ADF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6B1D.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6B3E.tmp.txt These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_ef_8e2841ead0cf8a6d7d13778aae566074e13619_00000000_cab_15686c08 Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: 72f3b9d8-66fd-42c9-8f57-4bad9f38c83f Report Status: 2049 Hashed bucket:12/15/2017 2:50 AM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: BlueScreen Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: ef P2: ffff84846a680080 P3: 0 P4: 0 P5: 0 P6: 10_0_16299 P7: 0_0 P8: 256_1 P9: P10: Attached files: \\?\C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\121417-8203-01.dmp \\?\C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\WER-21093-0.sysdata.xml \\?\C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6ADF.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6B1D.tmp.csv \\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER6B3E.tmp.txt These files may be available here: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Kernel_ef_8e2841ead0cf8a6d7d13778aae566074e13619_00000000_03306b3d Analysis symbol: Rechecking for solution: 0 Report Id: 72f3b9d8-66fd-42c9-8f57-4bad9f38c83f Report Status: 4 Hashed bucket:[/quote]

zbook, Dec 14, 2017
  13. Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Keeps Freezing/Locking up

@zbook

I don't know why flashing the BIOS fixed my freezing issue but at the very least I can now (reasonably) confirm that it was that.

Incidentally, I had already known about the BIOS being out-of-date but chose not to update seeing as how the changelog for the recent update didn't really specify anything that I thought would interfere with normal operations. I also had to take into account that this issue only just occurred after getting the FCU (1709). Reports said that the issue I was suffering from had made head-way since the first CU—which to me meant that it should have happened then. For the moment, I can only assume that it did the trick as I've since had no freezing glitches.

I've uninstalled AVG and have turned on Defender. I've also installed Malawarebytes as it's reasonably "light weight" according to some. I've also turned off fast startup.

I'd like to thank you ZTrucker for your assistance.

Have a good New Year!

That Random Guy, Dec 29, 2017
  14. zbook New Member
    That's great news.
    Let us know if you need any help in the future.
    Happy new year.

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) Keeps Freezing/Locking up - Similar Threads - Pro bit Keeps

2. upgrade from Windows 7 pro 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from Windows 7 pro 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit: Need to upgrade my laptop windows from Windows 7 pro 64 bit to Windows 10 64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-windows-7-pro-64-bit-to-windows-10-64/1d42cd03-b607-4de5-9651-516a3cb14b18
  3. Windows 10 pro 64 bits freeze randomly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 pro 64 bits freeze randomly: Hi there, first of all I want to apologize, my english isnt very good. About 2 months ago my pc is been freezing randomly, it happens when I am playing or watching a video, some days happen, some days dont. Until now it has never happend in other moment. I cant move the...
  4. Windows PRO 10 32 bit to 64 Bit

Windows PRO 10 32 bit to 64 Bit: How do I update 32bit Windows 10 Pro on a 64bit system to 64bit OP Sys x 64bit Processor System? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-pro-10-32-bit-to-64-bit/e10c32dc-cebb-4569-b469-8dd000e1935b
  5. Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Hard Freezes Randomly

Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Hard Freezes Randomly: I've been dealing with random hard freezes with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit builds since 2016. I don't have this issue with Windows 7 Pro 64bit and I'm using identical hardware. Virtually nothing has changed hardware wise between Windows 7 and Windows 10. This is a custom built...
  6. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit: I have been using Clonezilla-live for years. It no longer works as both my computers are UEFI. What suggestions do you have that will not cost me a fortune to back up my computers. Thank for any help. 143195
  7. File Explorer Freezes - Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

File Explorer Freezes - Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit: Team, I have update all Windows Updates and Norton Internet Security. Every now and then its getting hand. I have am not able to access most of the folders. I already tried SFC & DISM Option uninstalled few updates and reinstalled updates and all are uptodate....
  8. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit to 32 bit downgrade

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit to 32 bit downgrade: There must be a step-by-step process to follow in order to move an existing OS from Win10 pro 64 bit to 32 bit. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated....
  9. Windows 10 Randomly Freezes 64-bit

Windows 10 Randomly Freezes 64-bit: Just within the last couple of weeks, my Windows 10 desktop has started randomly freezing up. I have run Norton deep scan, Malwarebytes and Windows Defender and nothing was found. I also ran a Defrag, along with Memory Test(no errors) and Check Disk(no errors), so I am...
  10. Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Random Freezing

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Random Freezing: Hello I recently updated my desktop PC to Windows 10 Pro. My setup has Windows 10 on a 480 GB SSD with 2 secondary drives. My system experiences periodic freezing it was much worse before I updated the system through windows update. The system freezes and I get the blue...