Windows 10: Windows 10 Recovery USB stick

Discus and support Windows 10 Recovery USB stick in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have attempted to cerate a recovery USB 64GByte size USB and the first time I tried it failed without any useful report as to why I think it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by happyhackerRM, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Recovery USB stick

I have attempted to cerate a recovery USB 64GByte size USB and the first time I tried it failed without any useful report as to why I think it was because the computer went into sleep mode after 1 hour. I change the sleep mode to 'Never' and it then got passed the fail point but because it took so long I left it to do it on it's own. When I came back the windows showing the progress bar was no longer there.The window that was there was the 'create recovery disk' window. Because there was no report on screen that the disk was done and finished to the end I have no idea if the disk creation was finished successfully.

How do I check the USB Drive to know that it is ready for a recovery operation?

Thanks.

:)

happyhackerRM, Mar 4, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 4, 2020
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Mar 4, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Windows 10 Recovery USB stick

Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

Bree, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Recovery USB stick

1. Windows 10 Recovery USB stick - Similar Threads - Recovery USB stick

2. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  3. Recovery with a USB flash stick-Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery with a USB flash stick-Windows 11: How does doing a recovery with a USB flash stick work? The laptop is 512 SSD-latitude.How much of a USB flash stick will do it and how do you do it with the flash stick?I want to get a recovery done but am not a tech, and do not work with computers that much.Thank you for you...
  4. Recovery with a USB flash stick-Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery with a USB flash stick-Windows 11: How does doing a recovery with a USB flash stick work? The laptop is 512 SSD-latitude.How much of a USB flash stick will do it and how do you do it with the flash stick?I want to get a recovery done but am not a tech, and do not work with computers that much.Thank you for you...
  5. Is 8 hours to create a recovery USB stick normal?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Is 8 hours to create a recovery USB stick normal?: I set Windows (version 1909) to work creating recovery media on a USB stick. After 5½ hours it is only ⅔ of the way through, so it will probably have taken 8 hours from start to finish. Is this normal? And why does it need to take such an extraordinarily long time? 154530
  6. USB stick not recognised in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB stick not recognised in Windows 10: USB stick not recognised in Windows 10? Other thread was locked so here is a alternative solution that worked for me. I tried all the regedit deletes, plug and play on/off or switch to 'Automatic' etc with no luck. My 64GD Sandisk USB still would not work but did on other...
  7. Windows 10 on the USB stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on the USB stick: I want to download Windows 10 on the USB stick. But I’ve found a file called ‘system volume information’, which I cannot delete. How can I install Windows 10 on a USB stick and do I need this file?...
  8. windows 10 usb stick

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 usb stick: Windows 10 refuses to recognise any of my usb sticks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-usb-stick/d912e459-704e-4d75-a97e-b2316939c1a5
  9. windows 10 USB stick not accessible

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 USB stick not accessible: Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could help with any suggestions. After upgrading to Windows 10 any usb stick shows up in file explorer but when I try to open it - it says drive not accessible / access denied. Any help is greatly appreciated. thank you 14034
  10. Windows 10 Retail USB Stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Retail USB Stick: Why does the retail boxed version of Windows 10 still have build 10240? After installing the retail version from the bundled USB drive I still have to download a 3.5 GB update to build 10586 every time I reinstall from this read-only USB drive. 42736