Windows 10: Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down

Discus and support Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to Windows 10 a while ago for the most part it works fine, but one day it stopped being able to shut down properly. When I tell it to shut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by reg42, Nov 30, 2016.

1. reg42 Win User

Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down

I upgraded to Windows 10 a while ago for the most part it works fine, but one day it stopped being able to shut down properly. When I tell it to shut down it does actually shut down but only for a second before it starts restarting. This problem has been going on for 2-3 months now.

I've tried a number of things including:

turning off fast start-up
    making sure the power off switch is set to actually turn off the computer (in power options)
    unplugging the battery for a while to let it reset
    buying 3rd party software which claimed to fix the issue
    using the console commands
    unplugging all the USB devices and turning off the Bluetooth
    reseting the PC (keeping my files though)
    starting the computer up in safe mode and then trying to restart it from there

For reference I'm using a Lenovo E540 Edge which I upgraded from Windows 8.1 earlier this year. The only way to turn my computer off at this stage is to do a hard reset or let the battery run out (not ideal).

Please help - I've been scouring the internet with no luck and I really hope I'm just being a dunce.

:)

reg42, Nov 30, 2016

2. Instead of shutting down, computer restarts after installing Windows 10

Jessen P:

I may have responded earlier, but can't find my post now, so I'll resubmit my response.

Thanks for your response to my problem.

I ran the power troubleshooter as you suggested. It found that I use a screen saver (rather than turn off my display); and that I had disabled both sleep and hibernation modes on my computer. The troubleshooter reset these items to their default values.
    I tried to shutdown afterwards, but the computer continues to restart instead. I'll leave these settings at the default for now, but I don't believe they are related to the restart rather than shutdown issue.

I also ran a complete set of hardware diagnostics provided by HP for my computer at the time of purchase. These tests found no hardware issues of any kind.

If you have further suggestions for correcting this problem, please advise.

veritasffg, Nov 30, 2016
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Instead of shutting down, computer restarts after installing Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or entering sleep
    mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

Run the Power troubleshooter and see if it helps.

a: Press
    Windows logo to open the search box.

b: Type troubleshooting, hit enter.

c: Now click System and Security.

d: Click Power.

Do get back to us for any issues pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help.

Jessen P, Nov 30, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Have you ran sfc /scannow, chkdsk /f, or the DISM fix? DISM - Repair Windows 10 Image - Windows 10 Forums

When you turn Fast Start off, you also have to go into the Command Window and terminate Hibernate with powercfg /hibernate off The only other thing would be something hanging up, which you can force items to kill with The Windows Club Ultimate Windows Tweaker. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultima...r-4-windows-10

The other is simple by just going back to a restore point before this happened. Just be aware that any updates or software can be removed during the process.

bro67, Nov 30, 2016
  5. reg42,

Welcome to the Forum!

Did you disable the Automatically restart option to possibly force the display of an error message?
    Search for: View advanced system settings
    In the Startup and Recovery section select: Settings
    Under System Failure, remove the check mark next to Automatically restart, then click OK.

Also, when you were in Safe Mode, did you go to MSconfig/Startup tab and uncheck the programs that load automatically when the PC boots?

cottonball, Nov 30, 2016
  6. Steve C Win User
    Go through all devices and see which are enabled to wake the computer. I had a similar problem which was due to the ethernet network adapter on the motherboard waking the PC. All was fine when I disabled the option "Allow this device to wake the computer" in Device Manager. Also look at the wake options on the advanced tab.

Steve C, Nov 30, 2016
  7. reg42 Win User
    You, sir, are a champ. So it turns out it was one of the programs that start up with the computer. This is the first time I've been able to successfully turn my PC off in what feels like an era. I'm going to slowly turn them back on one by one and I'll post here when I know what the offender was.

Thank you!

reg42, Nov 30, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

The Run entry in the Registry under Users is where it should be hiding. Check Task Manager also.

bro67, Nov 30, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    A more sophisticated solution is to use Autoruns to check/disable what programs, services and tasks run at startup - but you need some expertise to use it. See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb963902.aspx

Steve C, Dec 1, 2016
  10. SteveC,

This ol' retired hound always tries to keep it simple.

'Simple' is also what I can understand. *Wink

cottonball, Dec 2, 2016
  11. Steve C Win User
    cottonball I'm retired too but don't mind the complexities of fixing PCs!

Steve C, Dec 2, 2016
  12. Bet ya I'm older than you are, and retired for a longer time (28 years)!! At this stage of the game, my brain is fried...
    Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down [​IMG]

cottonball, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down - Similar Threads - restarts instead shutting

2. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  3. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  4. Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down: Hi. My old laptop had some problem where it was permanently attempting to do Windows Updates every boot but failing, with code 0x80070643, so I decided to disable Windows Updates. Right after that, something very weird happened that I've never seen. I was shutting down my old...
  5. Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down: Hi. My old laptop had some problem where it was permanently attempting to do Windows Updates every boot but failing, with code 0x80070643, so I decided to disable Windows Updates. Right after that, something very weird happened that I've never seen. I was shutting down my old...
  6. Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer restarts instead of shutting down

Computer restarts instead of shutting down: I don't know if this is a computer glitch or a Microsoft one. Lately, maybe since the last update, when I shut off the computer, it restarts instead. Not consistently, but maybe about half the time. I get the screen that says it's shutting down with the little circling dots...
  8. Windows restarts instead of shutting down

Windows restarts instead of shutting down: Hi all, I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 laptop with Windows 10. In the beginning, when I wanted to shut down Windows, that worked as expected. But at a certain point in time maybe after a Windows update, Windows restarts every time when I select shutdown. The only...
  9. Computer shuts down instead of restarting

Computer shuts down instead of restarting: Hello, I have been having this issue for a while now. I have reinstalled the pc, complete clean installation, changed disk, added memory... all to no avail. Wheneveer I want to restart, the laptop just shuts down. I am keeping up with all sorts of updates. I have a ASUS...
  10. Windows 10 Restarts Instead Of Shut Down

Windows 10 Restarts Instead Of Shut Down: Hello everyone, As the title says, windows 10 restarts instead of shut down when i am pressing the "shut down" button. I had the same problem with windows 8.1, i searched all the internet to find a solution but i couldn't fix my problem. I read on internet some of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hp windows 10 pc restarts instead of shutting down

2. windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down

3. windows 10 restarts instead of shutdown