Windows 10: Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

Discus and support Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; right click on your start button and select Command Prompt (Admin) from in here run sfc /scannow I have found other people report this issue in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ansuz, Aug 11, 2015.

1. ansuz Win User

Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

ran that yesterday, BUT will run it again and advise result
    Was going to try a reset, but it said it would remove apps.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015

2. the only other thought I have is to try this
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...-10-image.html

using the restore health option, and then trying the sfc command again after it

it looks like something is corrupt somewhere with opening these apps
    does settings app work ok if you go direct to it instead of searching?

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  3. ansuz Win User
    No corruption detected using sfc and dism, will run sfc again

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  4. ansuz Win User

if I go direct it is fine, it is only when I use search and click on the results that word opens, will try the restore health and let you know the result.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  5. has it ever worked or has it been like this since you installed?

I am running out of ideas now, you could go the reset windows route, but that will wipe everything and make it a clean install (think there is an option to keep files but not 100% sure)

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  6. ansuz Win User
    I wonder, that on the first day I installed W10, it asked for an association when I used the search, and I must have pressed word!!!! I may actually been the cause of the problem.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  7. ansuz Win User
    Did restore health, problem still exists.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  8. ansuz Win User

never worked, but I think I caused it when the association popped up and I hit word.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  9. go into the control panel and have a look here, select word from the list to get this

Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association [​IMG]

do you see anything different to that on your machine?

now, if you go to Settings, System and then Default Apps
    at the bottom are 2 options
    chose default by file type and by protocol

have a look through them and see what word is assigned to based on the above from control panel, see if there is another default available

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  10. ansuz Win User
    could you check settingcontent-ms my list has word associated with that in the protocol list

also .dochtml and .docxml so three that do NOT appear on your list above

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  11. ok, if you go into the Settings, system, Default apps and at the bottom have a look for by file type
    there are 2 entries for settingscontent-ms

it should look like this, I am hoping the second one on yours has word instead of IE

Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association [​IMG]

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  12. ansuz Win User
    yes it has word, I click and only word and look in store is available.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  13. Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

does IE work ok on your machine?

it should be seeing it as an option if its there

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  14. ansuz Win User
    changed it to ie in the associate a file type or protocol with a specific program

That did not solve the problem but it changed it, now IE opens and downloads something. Could you please check the protocol list for what you have there.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  15. I don't have any mention of it in the protocol list

The only place it shows for me is defaults for file extension, and this is assigned to IE

I am not sure what else we can try now, your settings seem the same as mine

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association - Similar Threads - search opens 'word'

2. Word file not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word file not opening: I had some encrypted MS word files. I updated window 7 and after that my word file is not opening neither showing any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-not-opening/16dd1194-5032-40cd-a707-e2c5daece2ec
  3. Word file not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word file not opening: I had some encrypted MS word files. I updated window 7 and after that my word file is not opening neither showing any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-not-opening/16dd1194-5032-40cd-a707-e2c5daece2ec
  4. same pdf file and word file not open in window 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    same pdf file and word file not open in window 10: same pdf file and word file not open in window 10 error- all file show yellow lock error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/same-pdf-file-and-word-file-not-open-in-window-10/ae27e810-6272-471e-bc9f-98998221e34b
  5. MS Word Files No Longer Directly Associated With Word Software

MS Word Files No Longer Directly Associated With Word Software: I've had MS 365 for two years. As of 6 weeks ago, all of my Word files in file manager now have a notepad icon next to them. When I click on them in file manager, unreadable characters open in a notepad document. All Word files affected with this issue have the docx...
  6. Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect

Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect: Using windows 10. Open file explorer. Go to a folder. Click search bar, enter "type:ppt", hit search. No items match your search. I can see multiple powerpoint files in the folder. Why do none show up in search results? 7 did not have this problem. Same goes for...
  7. File Explorer Search Does Not Remember File Associations

File Explorer Search Does Not Remember File Associations: Hi Everyone, Whenever I look for a music file with the search bar on the file explorer and select the file directly from there I always get the prompt to select which application to play the file. I have selected the player to 'To always to use this app for...' on previous...
  8. Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search

Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search: The old file manager allowed for many conditions. One was if you were looking for a word, you could exclude other words. For instance, if I wanted to search for 'Flower' but I did not want any results that had 'Daisy' in it, I would put 'Daisy' as an exception and the results...
  9. Windows 10 File Associations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 File Associations: Hi, We are struggling to apply file associations effectively via our SCCM task sequence on build by applying a customisation XML we created. The only change the in the XML is for Adobe Reader for PDF to be used instead of Edge naively. The XML seems to apply...
  10. Notepad on Windows 10 incorrectly word wraps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad on Windows 10 incorrectly word wraps: Hi, I've noticed and got more and more pissed of by a slight modification to the classic and simple Notepad application. If one enables Word Wrap, it should wrap the text at word boundaries. It was fine on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7: text was wrapped at white...