Windows 10: Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week

Discus and support Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hopefully everyone now understands the Windows Photo Viewer problem. To recap... We're talking about Windows Photo Viewer, NOT the Photos "app".... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by swarfega, Aug 6, 2015.

1. bobjoe Win User

Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week

Hopefully everyone now understands the Windows Photo Viewer problem.

To recap... We're talking about Windows Photo Viewer, NOT the Photos "app".

The problem is that Windows Photo Viewer cannot be selected as a default picture opener for files other than .TIFF files. (No .JPG, no .PNG, etc)

The problem occurs only on clean installs. The reason it works fine if you upgrade from W7 or W8.1 is because the registry entries required for Windows Photo Viewer to work are "carried over" when you upgrade. On a clean install, they're simply not there.

Again, we're talking about Windows Photo Viewer, ***NOT*** the Photos "app".

bobjoe, Aug 7, 2015
  2. KACI Win User

Speaking of the insider program, wouldn't you expect sr1 to be fielded through that program first? Isn't that supposed to be the way to protect the masses from bad updates?

3. Joanne Win User
    Yes, it is exactly like you have beautifully summed it up. I can prove this by posting step-by-step screenshots but I wouldn't like to fill up a post with screenshots. This morning I've re-tested this matter on my untouched Win 10 Pro installation. I've saved four image files on my desktop: a .TIFF, a .PNG, a .GIF, and a .JPG. All of them besides the .TIFF open up with the Photos App when double-clicking on them. The .TIFF opens with Windows Photo Viewer. When I right-click on the .JPG file, for example, and choose "Open with" it does not show me the Win Photo Viewer. When I continue searching in my computer for a program to open this .JPG, it takes me to a menu where I should search for an .exe, the Photo Viewer however does not have a discrete .exe, it is part of a .dll. All I said is valid for my clean-installed Win 10 Pro.

I felt the need to post this off-topic post because yesterday when I commented on this matter I was using my modified Win 10 Pro installation. Well, this is how it works on an unmodified installation, as well.

This was the last post from me on the Windows Photo Viewer VS the Photo App matter.

Thank you for your patience.

*Smile

Joanne, Aug 7, 2015
  4. Joanne Win User

Personally, I believe that this Service Release will bring fixes on the problems that were repeatedly reported all this period but MS, for some reason, has not found the time to implement. In this sense, this package should be installed by all the users who use Windows 10.

Also, allow me please to express my personal and subjective opinion:
    I honestly believe that Microsoft should have "imposed" the clean installation of Windows 10. They should suggest to the users, strongly, with big headlines of bold and underlined text, to clean install this OS after the upgrade, and only if the manufacturer of the devices of the respective user already has official Win 10 drivers for the respective devices. This could be a (strong) suggestion, and they could then make a tutorial (or even a new tool), for all those wishing to install their "one thousand programs", using an image. If this method would have been applied, I estimate that, uhmm... sixty percent (?)...seventy percent (?) of all the issues people are facing would have not existed. Just my opinion, and why not? *Smile They have "imposed" the installation of drivers, why not a clean install, as well?

Joanne, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Rocky Win User
    I know that nobody here needs a reminder, but it is always a good idea to create a system image before a big update like we are expecting on Monday.

Rocky, Aug 7, 2015
  6. gzt7d8 Win User
    Monday, is that right? Guess I'll fire up Reflect then.

gzt7d8, Aug 7, 2015
  7. vijaykhai Win User
    Can you please detail the steps to set my wifi as Metered? Thanx.

vijaykhai, Aug 7, 2015
  8. Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week

alphanumeric, Aug 7, 2015
  9. sygnus21 Win User
    Just wanted to add that what I hope (and pray for) in this Service Release is the ability to block driver updates. While I can understand Microsoft wanting to keep the OS up and running, it's universally known that even "new" drivers can break things and decrease performance - ex. GPU drivers.

Additionally I may not want just the driver, but also the settings package that may come with drivers directly from a vender - ex. Catalyst Control Center, NVidia's control center, a soundcard's control center.

Bottom line: let me chose the drivers I want, you (MS) can have the Windows side of the house.

My two cents.

sygnus21, Aug 7, 2015
  10. bobjoe Win User
    I agree...

Why can't WINDOWS UPDATES be for... well... UPDATES FOR WINDOWS???

Why does it have to be updates for Windows plus drivers? Windows Updates should have 0 control over system's drivers.

bobjoe, Aug 7, 2015
  11. I have to agree with you on that one. I've had issues in the past with Windows 10 and drivers delivered via Windows Update. I had to actually stop running Windows 10 on my laptop because of it. Knock on wood though, lately I've been OK. The drivers delivered via Windows Update worked a charm on the same laptop when I upgraded to 10 this time around. If anything is going to cause a BSOD its going to be a bad driver.

alphanumeric, Aug 7, 2015
  12. You can already disable driver installation from Windows Update.

Search for "device installation settings" then choose "no, let me choose what to do" > click "never install driver software from Windows Update."

BrownianMotion, Aug 8, 2015
  13. linw Win User

Ran the reg fix and the photo viewer is 'Picasa Photo Viewer' now. This was the default viewer before the clean install I did. I expected windows photo viewer so am a bit surprised. Not worried, as Picasa viewer is fine!

14. Some I want though, I'd like to just block the one that's the issue, not all of them.

alphanumeric, Aug 8, 2015
  15. sygnus21 Win User
    OK, but does the control panel actually stop drivers for like your soundcard, GPU and stuff like that? Or is it strictly for devices like smartphones, cameras, external HD's, or stuff like that? Notice the camera icon? (circled in red)...

Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week [​IMG]

Here's the actual panel btw, and the options you get if you choose No...

Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week [​IMG]

At any rate I didn't know about that setting so thanks in that regards. However I'm not sure it does what we're asking.

Thanks.

sygnus21, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week - Similar Threads - Service Release Inbound

2. Exact timing of the Windows 10 preview releases next week please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exact timing of the Windows 10 preview releases next week please: I need to find out ASAP when exactly the April Preview updates will come out for the general population, right down to the time of day.Microsoft WILL NOT SAYWe were told that they would be in the fourth week of the month, then someone said the fourth Tuesday, but not the...
  3. Exact timing of the Windows 10 preview releases next week please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Exact timing of the Windows 10 preview releases next week please: I need to find out ASAP when exactly the April Preview updates will come out for the general population, right down to the time of day.Microsoft WILL NOT SAYWe were told that they would be in the fourth week of the month, then someone said the fourth Tuesday, but not the...
  4. Exact timing of the Windows 10 preview releases next week please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Some ideas for the next release of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some ideas for the next release of Windows: My brother told me to say I'm 13 years old because he said my reply was good, he said.1. Transparency in window title bars similar to Windows 7, of course not aero.2. Ability to transfer files and settings and users from Windows 10 or Windows 11.1. Also, an app for Windows 7...
  6. The next Windows 10 Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) release

in Windows 10 News
    The next Windows 10 Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) release: Windows 10 introduced Windows as a service, a method of continually providing new features and capabilities through regular feature updates. Semi-Annual Channel versions of Windows, such as version 1909, version 2004, and version 20H2, are released twice per year. In...
  7. Next Week on Xbox: New Games for February 26 to March 1

in Windows 10 News
    Next Week on Xbox: New Games for February 26 to March 1: Welcome to Next Week on Xbox, where we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One! Every week the team at Xbox aims to deliver quality gaming content for you to enjoy on your favorite gaming console. To find out what’s coming soon to Xbox One, read on below and click on...
  8. Next Week on Xbox: New Games for January 29 to February 1

in Windows 10 News
    Next Week on Xbox: New Games for January 29 to February 1: Welcome to Next Week on Xbox, where we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One! Every week the team at Xbox aims to deliver quality gaming content for you to enjoy on your favorite gaming console. To find out what’s coming soon to Xbox One, read on below and click on...
  9. Windows 10 Mobile ROM for Xiaomi MI 4 to be released next week?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Mobile ROM for Xiaomi MI 4 to be released next week?: You might recall that last April, we showed you video of the Xiaomi Mi 4 running Windows 10 Mobile. This came after word had leaked about Microsoft's plan to offer Windows 10 Mobile ROMs for some Android models as another customization option. The software giant figured that...
  10. It will be next week for next Windows 10 PC Fast ring build

in Windows 10 News
    It will be next week for next Windows 10 PC Fast ring build: Tweet by Gabriel Aul. We hit a problem with our PC build candidate for this week, so looks likely at this point it will be next week for next Fast ring PC build. Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date