Windows 10: Windows 10 sort issue or bug at command prompt

Discus and support Windows 10 sort issue or bug at command prompt in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, all. I am either seeing a bug in sort or I am not using it - or understanding it - correctly. I have a file "filelist.txt" that contains a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bill-NotBillGates, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Windows 10 sort issue or bug at command prompt

Hello, all.

I am either seeing a bug in sort or I am not using it - or understanding it - correctly.

I have a file "filelist.txt" that contains a listing of files on my Windows 10 system. The size is 65,772,625 bytes. When I sort the file and place the results into a second file "filelist.sorted.txt", the size of the sorted file is substantially smaller - 19,227,323 bytes. Here is how I create the file, then sort it:

c:\Temp> dir /s/b/n/o:n c:\ > filelist.txt

c:\Temp> dir /o:s filelist.txt
    Volume in drive C is WINDOWS
    Volume Serial Number is C24B-76BD

Directory of c:\Temp

03/10/2020 12:18 PM 65,772,625 filelist.txt
    1 Files 65,772,625 bytes
    0 Dirs 21,143,392,256 bytes free

c:\Temp> sort /o filelist.sorted.txt filelist.txt

c:\Temp> dir /o:s filelist.txt filelist.sorted.txt
    Volume in drive C is WINDOWS
    Volume Serial Number is C24B-76BD

03/10/2020 12:19 PM 19,227,323 filelist.sorted.txt
    03/10/2020 12:18 PM 65,772,625 filelist.txt
    2 Files 84,999,948 bytes
    0 Dirs 21,121,150,976 bytes free

Here are line count results using find with count option:

c:\Temp> find /i /c "c:\" filelist.txt filelist.sorted.txt

---------- FILELIST.TXT: 499721

---------- FILELIST.SORTED.TXT: 178450

So I am missing 321,271 lines. I tried using redirect, i.e., "sort filelist.txt > filelist.sorted.txt" and have the same result. On-line help says there are no file size restrictions in sort. I tried adding options like /m and /rec to increase memory and record size, but those didn't help. I also cleared c:\windows\temp and C:\Users\<myid>\AppData\Local\Temp, but that had no effect. Has anyone experienced this or see what I am missing, or perhaps this is a bug?

Thank you!

Bill

:)

Bill-NotBillGates, Mar 10, 2020
  2. cwtech Win User

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Mar 10, 2020
  3. MaXi32 Win User
    Command prompt bug: Command prompt window hidden and never come back except relaunch

Attention this is not a preview build. This is an update that I got 2 days ago officially from Microsoft. Windows 10 build 10240.

There is a bug that I'm able to reproduce where the command prompt will be hidden in the background and I'm not able to do anything to get it back except close and open back the command prompt.

How to reproduce this bug:

1) Open command prompt

2) Right click and select properties on the command prompt title

3) Go to 'Color Tab'

4) Click Cancel

The Command Prompt will be hidden. If I click Ok on the step 4, there will be no issue..

MaXi32, Mar 10, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

Windows 10 sort issue or bug at command prompt

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Thema:

Windows 10 sort issue or bug at command prompt

1. Windows 10 sort issue or bug at command prompt - Similar Threads - sort issue bug

2. Command prompt startup issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command prompt startup issue: Hi! I have this problem for a while now. When starting or restarting my PC Win 11 OS, I keep encountering this issue wherein cmd keeps popping up and saying, "Windows cannot find '--minimized'. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again."I keep looking for...
  3. Command prompt startup issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command prompt startup issue: Hi! I have this problem for a while now. When starting or restarting my PC Win 11 OS, I keep encountering this issue wherein cmd keeps popping up and saying, "Windows cannot find '--minimized'. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again."I keep looking for...
  4. Command prompt issue, Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Command prompt issue, Windows 10: I went into the command prompt and entered - DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and a message appeared - Elevated permissions are required to run DISM.Use an elevated command prompt to complete these tasks. How do I do that ? I have never tried this before, trying...
  5. Windows 10 command prompt issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 command prompt issue: Hi,When I open my command prompt in Windows 10, there are strange symbols or squares on top as shown in the screenshot. How do I fix this issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-command-prompt-issue/2974b24c-afe6-478c-91fb-5ac1757bfb48
  6. Command Prompt issue

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Command Prompt issue: I try to open it as an admin, and it says "to continue, enter admin username and password" and the only option it gives me is "no" which closes out the program. This started happening after deleting another account and setting this one to device owner....
  7. Command Prompt Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt Issue: I am the only user on my laptop and have the Administrator account. When I access the command prompt, the usual DOS line C:\Windows\system32 does not appear. I have tried opening as Admin, too, even though I already am the Admin. Instead I get this C:\Users\rotor, which is...
  8. Command Prompt Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt Issue: Hi, Whenever I open my command Prompt (Windows 10 Home), it briefly flashes for less than a second and closes. I tried all the solutions on the Microsoft Forum as well as all other forums but no luck. Right now I don't have any other choice but to use Windows Powershell but...
  9. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240
  10. Command prompt in Start button bug

in Windows 10 Support
    Command prompt in Start button bug: Hey people, since creators update trying to launch CMD/Powershell with right click on start button just got nothing being launch. Only way i can launch it by other methods. Does someone else find this problem with creators update? Or my system just get corrupted but sfc...