Windows 10: Windows 10: The Charms bar is dead; Start screen dead...

Discus and support Windows 10: The Charms bar is dead; Start screen dead... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Late last week, Microsoft pushed out a new build of Windows 10 to those of you who are participating in the 'Insiders' program. The latest version of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jan 25, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Windows 10: The Charms bar is dead; Start screen dead...

More

labeeman, Jan 25, 2015

2. 2 of the best features gone, makes me less likely to use 10 on a tablet

:)

paulsalter, Jan 25, 2015
  3. Start, search bar and right-click on IE11 all not working

Same problem with start menu, dead. Also search the web and windows bar is dead. Right click on Internet Explorer 11 is dead. Real slow start up. I thank everyone for the suggestions although they didn`t work. Bottom line is, no when to call it quits. Going
    back in life seems to be the norm.

Original title: win/10

ScottFossett, Jan 25, 2015
  4. Windows 10: The Charms bar is dead; Start screen dead...

Windows 10 fails to populate the toolbar and start-up does not work

The tool bar across the bottom of the screen fails to populate. The start menu is dead. The problem before this was that the OS was stuck in a restart look. Cortana is frequently dead. It seem as though there is a problem every week. This is killing my
    productivity. How can I fix this...permanently?

RalphBenson, Jan 25, 2015
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Nar, the Start screen is not dead yet. It's just turned off in build 9926. You can enable it again if you like. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

Plus, it's still early. Many features can still be restored, combined, or updated before the final RTM is ready.

Brink, Jan 25, 2015
  6. That's what I am hoping, to see lots of improvements on this coming up (touch side for tablets)

For desktops 10 is coming along nicely, but for touch (currently) we seem to be going backwards

paulsalter, Jan 25, 2015
  7. Trust_No1 Win User
    Thank you Brink
    But if they are there, why not just let people chose what they want?

Trust_No1, Jan 25, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

We may have UI options before it's all over with, but we shall see. For now, it's just a preview build being patched in pieces for the public to play with to help debug it.

Brink, Jan 25, 2015
  9. I didn't realize the Start Screen was dead, it takes a single click to full screen it in 9926.

Coke Robot, Jan 26, 2015
  10. LEE
    Lee Win User
    Thanks for the work around. . .have the Start Screen up working in TP 9926. . .*Thumbs

11. I wish I had seen that before I went back to 8.1. I think I may just have another go at 10 on my laptop.

alphanumeric, Jan 26, 2015
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    Alright I'm a bit confused here...

I had build 9879 which obviously had the start menu, and when I updated to 9926, the start menu was still there for me. I didn't have to do anything it was just there. Perhaps it's because I'm running the enterprise version?

I ask because I was just about to post here - Microsoft: don't they ever learn? but decided to double check here first and saw Brinks post, which lead me to his tutorial indicating that you might have to use a registry hack?

- Start Menu - Enable or Disable Resizable in Windows 10.

I guess the main question is - is all this necessary to get the start menu back. And how come I didn't have to go through those gyrations?

Thanks

sygnus21, Jan 26, 2015
  13. Windows 10: The Charms bar is dead; Start screen dead...

The start menu is working for my 9926 installs, 1 update and 1 fresh on none enterprise versions.

I don't have the option to turn off or on.

Windows 10: The Charms bar is dead; Start screen dead... [​IMG]

No box to change one way or the other.

kingstonian, Jan 26, 2015
  14. sygnus21 Win User
    That image is exactly what mines looks like on the Enterprise edition.

sygnus21, Jan 26, 2015
  15. Start Screen is dead not Start Menu. The old Start Screen (like in 8.1) has morphed into something new that "to me" looks like some of both.

alphanumeric, Jan 26, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10: The Charms bar is dead; Start screen dead... - Similar Threads - Charms bar dead

2. Start menu dead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu dead: My windows Start menu doesn't open not on click not on keypress. When I click on the notification panel it instantly crashes same goes for the background apps tab in the privacy settings. The start menu troubleshooter app says "Microsoft.ShellExperienceHost" and...
  3. Start menu dead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu dead: My windows Start menu doesn't open not on click not on keypress. When I click on the notification panel it instantly crashes same goes for the background apps tab in the privacy settings. The start menu troubleshooter app says "Microsoft.ShellExperienceHost" and...
  4. Start menu dead

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Dead On Start Up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dead On Start Up: I restarted my pc and now after I sign in I have about five seconds where it works, afterwards I can no longer do anything. My mouse works but I can’t click anything. My keyboard still works and I managed to open up startup programs and disable everything with my keyboard. It...
  6. Dead key dead at start-up. Then turns on. Why?

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead key dead at start-up. Then turns on. Why?: I originally posted this on the Hardware and Devices Forum, but perhaps that was the wrong place. At any rate, no one responded. Windows 10 version 1909 The problem appeared about three months ago. My keyboard layout is for the Icelandic language. It includes a dead key...
  7. Portions of Task bar dead

in Windows 10 Support
    Portions of Task bar dead: Toshiba Satellite L55-A5226, W10 Pro Problem just popped up today. I can't launch any program from the task bar. Clicking on the search box does nothing, neither does clicking on the Windows logo. I can launch programs from the desktop OK, and if I place a desktop item on...
  8. Window 10 settings screen dead

in Windows 10 Support
    Window 10 settings screen dead: On my HP laptop, the settings screen comes up, but you can do anything with it, like run backups or check for new updates. Is there a patch that will fix this? Or, gadzooks, do I have to rebuild? 58371
  9. Start menu dead

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu dead: So the issue that I am having is the start menu won't react, however Cortana does.... I have tried a second user account, restarting it several times, fsc /scannow (it said all good) and the Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode...
  10. Dead screen at start up

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead screen at start up: I have downloaded Win ten onto three computers using the downloaded programme on a memory stick. Laptop absolutely perfect second on a PC, perfect, third PC,(mine), press the power button and quickly get the screen lighting and then the ten four squres window showing but...