Windows 10: Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions

Discus and support Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi people, I have some problem with installation Windows 10 UEFI on Samsung 850 EVO SSD. Actually I installed everything only my problem is because I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Vlada011, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Vlada011 Win User

Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions

Hi people,
    I have some problem with installation Windows 10 UEFI on Samsung 850 EVO SSD.
    Actually I installed everything only my problem is because I could boot only if in BIOS is set option with Windows Boot Manager

P1 Windows Boot Manager Samsung 850 EVO
    P1 Samsung 850 EVO

Before I had Windows 7 Installed on other SSD in Legacy Mode.
    I want to install properly Windows 10 on Samsung 850 EVO without Windows Boot Manager.
    Is it that possible in UEFI Mode?
    My system is i7-5820K - Rampage V Extreme - Dominator Platinum DDR4 2666 CMD16GX4M4A2666C15

Is it possible to install new Windows 10 UEFI on Samsung 850 EVO and boot without Windows Boot Manager, I mean to install without that option in BIOS.

:)

Vlada011, Nov 28, 2016

2. Will Windows 10 run more efficiently on the UEFI system or BIOS version

Original title: Best way to install Windows 10 on system that had Windows 8.1 that has UEFI but is disabled to run Windows 7

I am going to be upgrading to Windows 10 on my laptop. This machine was built to run Windows 8.1 and has the UEFI system. However, due to my dissatisfaction with 8.1, I installed Windows 7 on this system, disabling the UEFI in order to run Windows 7.
    The question: Will Windows 10 run better/more efficiently on the UEFI system or will it run the same on the BIOS version?

JeffreySeward, Nov 28, 2016
  3. in-finite-CCO, Nov 28, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows Boot Manager is the UEFI booting mode for Windows 10. Look at your disk management screen and you will see an EFI System Partition - that is UEFI and contains the Windows Boot Manager.

If your Windows 10 is installed and booting in legacy BIOS mode, in disk management you will see a System Reserved partition marked as active as the System Partition.

The example screenshot here:
    Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of - Windows 10 Forums

shows a legacy BIOS setup, evidence by the first partition which is labeled as a System Reserved partition, marked as the active system partition.

This is a computer booting in UEFI:

Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions [​IMG]

because the second partition on Disk 0 is shown as an EFI system partition. Ignore Disk 1, even though it has an active partition it is for data only and does not boot the computer.

NavyLCDR, Nov 28, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    You can burn windows 10 iso to a usb drive setup in mbr format but set it up to do a uefi install on pc. Then once installed, you set bios to uefi mode.

cereberus, Nov 29, 2016
  6. Vlada011 Win User
    Do you know some short and simple way to do that?

Vlada011, Nov 29, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Just curious why you would want to do that? If the computer is going to boot the HDD/SSD that Windows is permanently installed on, then why would you need to boot the USB flash drive it is installing from in legacy BIOS mode?

To make a Windows 10 installation bootable USB flash drive, do the following:
    Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive

At step 9, use FAT32 filesystem to make the USB flash drive compatible with both UEFI and legacy BIOS:
    9. To format the partition, type format fs=fat32 quick, and then click ENTER.

For step 12, mount the Windows 10 ISO file downloaded from Microsoft and copy all the files and folders from the mounted ISO file to the USB flash drive. The flash drive created this way will be bootable in both UEFI and legacy BIOS or CSM.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2016
  8. Vlada011 Win User

I create bootable USB with Rufus and GPT Partition Scheme for UEFI...
    That's not good way or...

Problem is because I had some errors when I tried to install Windows 10.. "

We couldn't create a new partition or locate existing one" I resolve that error with some commands in cmd create active partition primary - active -format fs=ntfs quick (because FAT32 not allow on large 1TB SSD)...
    Than I had another error
    The select disk has a MBR Partition table...
    I resolve that with select disk - clean = Convert GPT and finally allow me to install Windows 10 but after I finished installation and checked in BIOS I saw
    P0 Windows Boot Manager (Samsung 850 EVO)
    P0 Samsung 850 EVO.

I could boot only selecting first option and that confuse me.
    Why is your process different than Rufus, I will try with him.
    Now my SSD is on fabric state, I secure erase him with Samsung Magician and he is not visible only in Disk Management with Unallocated sector. I need to format him first or to install Windows 10 without format SSD?

Vlada011, Nov 29, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Your initial installation of Windows was just fine. It installed exactly the way it should. For the best clean install, the SSD should have nothing but 1 big unallocated space on it and that is what you pick to install Windows to. The clean command in diskpart did exactly that - and so does the secure erase. Being only able to pick WIndows Boot Manager from the UEFI boot menu is also exactly the way it should be for a computer booting in UEFI mode.

NavyLCDR, Nov 29, 2016
  10. Vlada011 Win User
    Thank you. I didn't know Windows Boot Manager is normal part of UEFI.

Vlada011, Dec 1, 2016
  11. Vlada011 Win User
    I installed Windows 10 in UEFI Mode on DISK 0.
    I only don't know why is not Active...
    DISK 1 is old Windows 7 that SSD was not connected during installation Windows 10 and I will clean now that SSD.

Untitled — Postimage.org

Is it good or I need to change something to DISK 0 become Active, Primary, Boot...

Vlada011, Dec 4, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    UEFI and the GPT partition scheme do not use an active partition to determine what to boot from, so your install is normal. UEFI reads files in the EFI System partition to boot from. Active partitions are for MBR type drives booting from legacy BIOS.

NavyLCDR, Dec 5, 2016
  13. Vlada011 Win User

Thanks a lot. I almost finished installation of softwares.
    Can you recommend me some Backup/Restore Software to create Backup of Installation.
    I think Windows have something but I don't know how reliable is with them.

I see some unknown Virtual CD drive... How to remove that?

Vlada011, Dec 5, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    1) use Macrium Reflect Free to image backup (this site's favourite tool).

2) right click on cd drive, click eject.

cereberus, Dec 5, 2016
  15. Vlada011 Win User
    Can't... Message An error occured while ejectind CD Drive.

Problem is because I can't see that drive in Device Manager and Disk Management.
    When I check in Properties show this only... Corsar Force GT is now empty SSD 120GB
    Maybe mix that with him... Because when I Erased 120GB SSD through BIOS that CD gone I think and than back...

Vlada011, Dec 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 UEFI Installation Questions - Similar Threads - UEFI Installation Questions

2. Windows UEFI, BIOS, and chipset questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows UEFI, BIOS, and chipset questions: Hallo Guys im new to the Forum, i've got some questions maybe someone could help me. At first sorry for my english i'm from Germany ^^ Now to my questions, i've got my self a Clevo Notebook with the Mainboard: NB50TJ1_TK1, i dont have any kind of manual because the Shop...
  3. UEFI Question

UEFI Question: I use Windows 10, i installed windows with UEFI, i need to install an os alongside windows, will windows 10 still boot after i change it from "UEFI" to "Legacy Support UEFI First"...
  4. UEFI Secure Boot questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    UEFI Secure Boot questions: My laptop has Windows 10 with Secure Boot enabled in my UEFI firmware setting and my question is, can Secure Boot still protect booting from a malicious OS or tool (from a bootable USB stick) even when using the F12 Boot Menu Options prompt? I have a Dell laptop, which uses...
  5. UEFI with CSM module Question

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI with CSM module Question: Hi there Messing about with an old HP ProLiant GEN 10 Microserver. In the boot menu it's got for Boot mode Legacy only (which I assume is MBR mode) or UEFI only --but under legacy mode I have the option to enable CSM module --- on the boot info it says this enables UEFI for...
  6. UEFI drive question?

UEFI drive question?: Hi All, Sorry but UEFI is all gobbledygook to me. I have 4 internal hard drives: 500Gb SSD (C Drive) 2 x internal 1TB SATA drives, and I've kept my old 250Gb SSD which used to have my operating system on, inside my computer for backups. I've disabled the 2 SATA drives,...
  7. General UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General UEFI Question: UEFI is a real pain in my butt. I've done extensive reading. I understand (I think) secure boot. I've successfully made a UEFI boot usb windows install disk. I know how to get to access UEFI interface through Windows 8/8.1/10. What I can't find an answer to is how to get to...
  8. Windows 10 Install UEFI and Windows 7 Dual boot Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Install UEFI and Windows 7 Dual boot Question: Just wondering if I Install windows 10 on UEFI to my Samsung 950 Pro ssd,is there a way to keep my other 2 mbr partitions dual boot windows 7's on my pc and convert the 2 win 7's somehow to UEFI.Just wondering if it can be done or is my dual boot 7's gone. 72462
  9. Quick question about UEFI before installing Windows 10

Quick question about UEFI before installing Windows 10: I'm preparing to install Windows 10 on my new PC. The motherboard is the Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7. I have a quick question about a UEFI setting before I begin: Under "storage boot option control" in the UEFI, I have these options: - Legacy only (default) - UEFI Only -...
  10. few questions regarding the Windows 10 installation in UEFI mode

few questions regarding the Windows 10 installation in UEFI mode: First of all thanks for the excellent guide. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...n-install.html I have a few questions regarding the Windows 10 installation in UEFI mode: I read in a couple of websites that for the installation and boot to be in "full" UEFI mode...