Windows 10: Windows 10: Unable to download or fix files with DISM

Discus and support Windows 10: Unable to download or fix files with DISM in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I put a laptop running Windows 10 Pro back in service and in the process ran all the updates. The update service reported that it could not install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KAR -D95, Mar 31, 2020.

1. KAR -D95 Win User

Windows 10: Unable to download or fix files with DISM

I put a laptop running Windows 10 Pro back in service and in the process ran all the updates. The update service reported that it could not install all of the updates and would try again later. When I attempted to put an Office 365 account on the laptop it would not download the files. In the course of troubleshooting that issue I discovered that downloads were being prevented by Windows Defender, however, after turning the firewall off, I still could not download files. I did the following to fix the problem: run update troubleshooter which made changes but the error code returned immediately and DISM scanhealth and restorehealth, The DISM scanhealth said it found problems that could be fixed. But when I ran DISM Restorehealth it reported that the source files could not be found and gave error code 0x800f081f. I also ran SFC/Scannow which reported that it found corrupt files that it was not able to fix.

:)

KAR -D95, Mar 31, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

Download Windows 10 TH/RS

*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

Dude, please stop bashing things you don't fully understand.

SFC is the first step, System File Checker. That can fix many issues using various flags and knowing the context, and is a first step when there is doubt about system integrity. This is a simple utility and using SFC /Scannow will be the most commonly used flagged command for initial repair diagnostics. Takes a few minutes and is worth doing to resolve issues. While it can repair many issues, there's also many it cannot. That's where the next step comes in should you need it.

DISM, or Deployment Image Servicing and Management, is the big gorilla in Windows OSes for repairs and image management. It has a wide variety of uses from image capture and deploy to repair.

The common command for DISM was DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth,

Just running this can result in a system being repaired, but since the launch of Windows 10, the image check has become more complicated, requiring you have the Install.WIM file available for the OS version you're trying to repair. This is relatively, though with Microsoft's deployment of Windows 10, most ISO's you get from them have an Install.ESD that must be converted to a .WIM file. Pretty easy to do with a command in CLI or Powershell.

I typed up an article about this in the past...I'll go ahead and share it here for a series of steps a person could take to repair OS corruptions in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10. It's not hard to do, but takes some attention to detail, being able to handle command line (which is easy), and a little patience.

I've personally fixed/repaired dozens if not hundreds of systems with these utilities, because simply... THEY WORK. How do I know? Because I'm a systems and network professional that has to manage 100s of Windows PCs ranging from XP to 10, and where we can use these utilities to repair corruption, we save a ton of time. My technicians, bench guys and engineers all know and use the hell out of these utilities.

I find it hard to accept your statement above as something acceptable to even say here, it clearly shows your lack of experience with using the repair utilities SFC and DISM correctly or looking into what the failures were and how to fix them appropriately. Nor is that kind of crap even what TPU is or has ever really been about, and being such a long time member I would have expected you know that...though you've always been that way so maybe it's just habitual...surely not helpful to anyone else participating in this thread, or even yourself.

The OS is literally telling you what is wrong and where it's keeping the information so you can look into it further, that's not whining, that's stating facts. Nice try though. If you don't want to learn how to fix OS corruption, don't blame the OS or tools, blame yourself and shut up about it, and don't bitch about the OS utilities whining...LOL, because in reality wouldn't your bitching mean you're whining??? *Slap :slap:

So knock that shit off and let's fix the issues instead k? *Wink Windows 10: Unable to download or fix files with DISM ;)

Kursah, Mar 31, 2020
  3. Kursah Win User
    Windows 10 is excellent but it's easy to break.

If you want some good information, here's some good reading that will hopefully be more helpful than I have been:
    As I said with Windows 10, the Microsoft Download Tool that most download Windows 10 from, in the Sources folder has an Install.ESD instead of Install.WIM. Well unfortunately, for a successful DISM repair using Install.WIM as the check against which your OS will be repaired isn't possible with the ESD file. But you can convert the ESD to WIM using DISM as well! It takes a little bit of time but is worth it to have around when you need it!
    I have debated taking the links and instructions I've shared and add them to a dedicated thread...it is handy to be able to repair your OS instead of wiping and reinstalling as many folks had to do in previous times.

Kursah, Mar 31, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

DISM unable to locate Install.wim file

Nothing wrong with using install.esd

@EasyGoingPat
    FYI, install.esd or install.wim both result the extraction of the component store files to temp folder (%USERPROFILE%\Appdata\local\temp) then use them to repair.

1. Copy install.esd to your Desktop
    2. From Admin command, run: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    3. then run: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:ESD:%USERPROFILE%\install.esd:1 /LimitAccess
    For Step 2 & 3. Just copy and paste the command to make sure the syntax is correct. See screen shot:
    NOTE: Step 2 in the screen shot will be different from yours since I have no corruption.

Windows 10: Unable to download or fix files with DISM [​IMG]

topgundcp, Mar 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Unable to download or fix files with DISM - Similar Threads - Unable download fix

2. "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" DISM...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" DISM...: Did a DISM scan nothing went wrong while with SFC it reported something and said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" along with telling me to check something to see what it is, i checked the thing but im not really...
  3. "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" DISM...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" DISM...: Did a DISM scan nothing went wrong while with SFC it reported something and said "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" along with telling me to check something to see what it is, i checked the thing but im not really...
  4. "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" DISM...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Fix DISM Unable to access the Image Error 2 on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix DISM Unable to access the Image Error 2 on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]When you run the DISM scan on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 system, you may get the Unable to access the Image Error 2, which consequently stops the Windows system image and component store repair operation on your device. This post provides the most applicable...
  6. Dism is unable to repair system files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dism is unable to repair system files: I have a Kodlix mini computer with Windows 10 Pro purchased in mid February of 2019. It came with version 1803 installed. A few days after it arrived, Windows update installed version 1809. I recently noticed that the March and April cumulative updates failed to install,...
  7. How to fix Windows 10 damaged files, when DISM won't wrk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to fix Windows 10 damaged files, when DISM won't wrk: I have a similar problem as described here I checked because my start menu, task lists, notification area icons menus (the ones when you click on the icon and it opens a menu) I have tried all that is said on that thread and no luck. I have downloaded two different Windows 10...
  8. DISM unable to locate Install.wim file

DISM unable to locate Install.wim file: Hi, Today, running sfc /scannow reported corrupted files it could not repair. I followed instructions here: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7...-10-image.html but I am unable to get DISM to find the Install.wim file even though I can see it quite clearly in Explorer....
  9. DISM failure -- unable to fix using Win10 ISO

DISM failure -- unable to fix using Win10 ISO: I recently restored an HP laptop that was crashing more frequently all the time -- and had to go back to early October to find a build that was stable without problems. So after updating the apps and settings, I ran a DISM command to analyze the component store, and it...
  10. Windows 10 DISM tool - unable to find Source File

Windows 10 DISM tool - unable to find Source File: Hello everyone, I've been having a terrible time trying to diagnose and fix corrupted system files. I have recently updated to windows 10 during the free upgrade process. I was running Windows 7 Pro before I updated. I have tried sfc /scannow command multiple...