Windows 10: Windows 10 unexplained os size fluctuations

Discus and support Windows 10 unexplained os size fluctuations in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; One day, A while back, I got a desktop notification that my os partition was was running out of room. This was totally unexpected. Previous to this,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kitpzyxmsir, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Windows 10 unexplained os size fluctuations

One day, A while back, I got a desktop notification that my os partition was was running out of room.

This was totally unexpected. Previous to this, my 40 gb partition had about 15gb free, and suddenly I only had 200mb of free space available.

It was not a result of a recent windows update.

All my data is on a separate partition, and I make it a practice to only use portable programs whenever possible, situated on the data partition. I have a standard set of programs installed on the OS partition which rarely varies except for updates, and certainly nothing that word cause a sudden occupancy of 15g.

I use Macrium, so it is a simple task to go back to a time when the OS size is normal. When this first happened, I restored a backup image, and did my windows updates, after which things seemed to be back to normal.

But again, a few days ago, it happened again. I cant say exactly when, because I dont regularly check the OS size, but I did check it after the last windows update, and it looked normal, and no major changes have been made since.

I again did an image restore and the windows updates, and closely kept a log of the OS size. It was initially 11.1gb of free space.

I also noticed that rebooting the computer would result in size fluctuations. But maybe this is normal?

I then did a disk cleanup which found a whopping 10.9gb of windows update files (which were not there before the image restore), which I deleted, but it only got me back to 12.6gb free.

A few more reboots, and I now had 16gb free. It has now settled in at 15.5gb free.

The size of my OS now is 24.4gb...about what it should be. Because the image I restored was a few months old, I still have to tweak a number of things, but the major space eaters are already in place and up to date.

I'm gonna watch it closely. It's been 2 days now.

I'd like to know if this has happened to you.

thanks

:)

kitpzyxmsir, Dec 27, 2017

2. What is "Other" under Storage?

Sorry, I missed that post. So to recap, your system size is fluctuating by 10 to 20 MB each time you have checked over a period of a week. Sometimes higher and sometimes lower. Thanks for staying on top of this. I can't say for sure what is causing those
    fluctuations to happen. I'll need to get back to you.

As for the temp files, any OS is going to have temp files that are in use as a result of using the device. This is true on Windows as well. When you tap the Delete button in temporary files you should see some space recovered. However, it will not delete
    anything that is in use or needed at that moment. In other words, it is not possible to achieve absolute zero for temporary files.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Greg [MSFT], Dec 27, 2017
  3. Unexplained change in icon size

Option 1:

Open Start > Settings > System > Display

Make sure recommended settings are selected for Scale and Layout and Screen resolution.

Another thing you can try:

uninstall your display driver then restart

Boot to the Windows 10 desktop

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Display adapters

Right click the current display adapter

Click Properties

Click Driver tab

Click Rollback driver if the option is available

If not

Right click the current display adapter

Click Uninstall

Exit Device Manager

Restart

I recommend you uninstall the KB4048955

Press Windows key + R

Type: appwiz.cpl

Hit Enter

Click View installed updates

Select the recent update

(This is the update you want to uninstall KB4048955)

Right click it then click uninstall.

Restart then see if stability is restored.

The update might try to install again. So, try blocking it.

Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?

Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

If its the icons and toolbars, then Go back to Start > Settings > System > Display

Click in the Scale and layout list box, try another scale such as 125 to see if that works or play around with custom scaling.

Option 2:

Perform a repair upgrade

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki...

Andre Da Costa, Dec 27, 2017
  4. Windows 10 unexplained os size fluctuations

Maybe someone could answer this.

I came across a thread that mentioned Windirstat.

I ran it and the hiberfil.sys size is 6.3gb. As far as I know, I have Hibernate disabled, so I don't understand this.

Could it be that I had Hibernate enabled in the past and the file remained there? Of course, that wouldn't explain my free space fluctuatons, would it?

The only other conclusion I can figure is that my ssd is failing.

kitpzyxmsir, Jan 2, 2018
  5. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 unexplained os size fluctuations

1. Windows 10 unexplained os size fluctuations - Similar Threads - unexplained size fluctuations

2. Unexplained Display

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unexplained Display: Hello Folks, when I connect my Doro PhoneEasy 612 mobile phone to any USB port on my Win 10 or Win 7 PC I gat as in my image. My Win 10 pc is a laptop without a disc drive.-...
  3. Unexplained dowloads

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unexplained dowloads: Today, Host Process for Windows Services has downloaded 1GB with no request, permission, or explanation.I have metered broadband during the day. I do not take kindly to 10% of the month's allowance being used in this way.The two main servers involved were:...
  4. fluctuation in data

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    fluctuation in data: hello i am a user of windows 10 i saw that there is a fluctuation in data left in the c drive - sometimes it goes to 81.0 left then 79.3 then 80.7 then 78.6 please tell me what can i do...
  5. Windows credentials unexplained entry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows credentials unexplained entry: Hi Whenever I look at my windows Credentials I see an unexplained entry at the top of the list of web credentials as follows it is currently http://E93EC0BD-87BD-9E3A-89160C088DA9 there is then a sequence of numbers as the user name and a further sequence of numbers and...
  6. Optimum OS partition size?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Optimum OS partition size?: I have a two-years old Dell XPS 8930. It came with a 2TB hard drive. I 1.5TB and 1TB hard drives from its predecessor home build. I'm awaiting delivery of a 1TB WD SN550 NVMe SSD drive, on which I intend to do a clean install of Windows 10. I'll then use the 2TB hard drive...
  7. Sound Fluctuation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sound Fluctuation: Ever since I updated my laptop on 10/8/2019 I've had an issue with the audio slowing fluctuating up and down. For Example when watching a youtube video my volume would be set to 30. Throughout the duration of the video it sounds as if the volume fades away and then jumps back...
  8. volume fluctuation

in Windows 10 Customization
    volume fluctuation: whenever i play any audio or video my volume goes from 100 to zero and vice-versa. i have tried every thing from reinstalling the drivers to reinstalling windows on my laptop and also changing the setting in audio enhancements....
  9. Folder properties size fluctuating and inaccurate.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder properties size fluctuating and inaccurate.: Folder properties sometimes gives accurate size and count but mostly just one of the internal folders and sometimes impossible readings like 45TB for a 17gb folder. This problem first occurred on a new Seagate Expansion Drive then on data transferred back to my main...
  10. sizes of OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sizes of OS: My Windows 7 pro 64-bit eats up about 27G. My Windows 10 64-bit eats up about 41G. AND I don't have everything on it. Don't understand the huge difference. 2986