Windows 10: Windows 10 "Updates are available" POPUP (VERY ANNOYING)

Discus and support Windows 10 "Updates are available" POPUP (VERY ANNOYING) in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So this annoying message popup, like the lockscreen does, alt tabbing you out of games, fullscreen apps, and takes completely control over everything,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by killaz916, Jul 3, 2016.

1. killaz916 Win User

Windows 10 "Updates are available" POPUP (VERY ANNOYING)

So this annoying message popup, like the lockscreen does, alt tabbing you out of games, fullscreen apps, and takes completely control over everything, there is no way to get back into what u wanted until you hit [GET UPDATES], at this point and time it will load Windows Update but wont download anything because i have it said to notify but thats all, this is something new it only used to show notifications in the Action Center, now it does a popup too.. this happens 1-2 times a day, and random times as well. I refuse to update some things, so it always happens...

I took a sceenshot of the message box only.

Windows 10 "Updates are available" POPUP (VERY ANNOYING) [​IMG]

:)

killaz916, Jul 3, 2016

2. Cortana Pop Ups - How to stop?

kill this popup

albertstapp, Jul 3, 2016
  3. how can I stop those annoying windows 10 ads?

Last year I wrote a program called OptOut10 that will stop all the annoying Windows 10 ads, both in Windows and on MSN's website. It will also prevent Windows 10 from automatically being downloaded to your computer or spontaneously
    installing in the future. It is available here.

Techie007L, Jul 3, 2016
  4. CmmTch Win User

The obvious fix for the popup is to update. Short of doing that I don't know what else you might do.

The system is doing what it's supposed to, notify the user updates are available, and by not updating you're in an endless loop.

CmmTch, Jul 3, 2016
  5. killaz916 Win User
    Its not doing what its supposed to, because even when i do UPDATE, more updates come out, when im recording or doing competitive gaming it will interrupt me. I don't want it EVER doing this again, as it never used to do to begin with, its something Microsoft though would be a GREAT IDEA. It used to only notify in the action center and was never intrusive or annoying, also windows say some updates are important yet they arent...

Some suggestions of a work-around: "Microsoft Update Hider Utility" or "Disable Updates Notify and do it only when i want to update"

But there has to be a registry option or something that can disable this popup and leave the notify in action center, just like the old annoying "Windows Will restart your pc and you cant stop it issue."

killaz916, Jul 3, 2016
  6. CmmTch Win User
    On Win7 I had mine set to "notify" only, then the user had the option of updating when it was convenient. Since upgrading to W10 Home I've left it on "Automatic"

I turn my computer off every day when I'm done using it, the main annoyance is I don't realize it's had an update until I go to turn it off. That's when I see the word "update" with the shut down or restart commands from the start menu power choice, and I know it's updated at some point while I've been using it.

Other than that I wouldn't even know it updated, it does give a choice of when to restart, usually at 3:30am, I could defer the restart until that time if I wanted.

Sorry, I don't have a fix, or even a workaround, but it's doing what it's supposed to do, whenever there's an update available it will generate a pop up if you've set it to notify. Once you've updated there's the possibility that one or more of those updates, once installed, will generate another update(s). Then the pop up will come up notifying you, which is exactly how you have it set.

The only fix I know of to stop the "notify" pop up is to set updates to "Automatic"

Maybe somebody else will come along with a better answer that will get closer to what you want, you've set it to notify you of updates, but the notification message ends up being an annoyance.

There's quite a bit of knowledge on tenforums, if it can be worked around or maybe a reg hack somebody will know. Be patient and see what other replies might offer.

CmmTch, Jul 3, 2016
  7. CmmTch Win User
    killaz916, saw this post from TairikuOkami in this thread. regarding updates You might be able to get things set how you want doing this.

CmmTch, Jul 3, 2016
  8. elbmek Win User

I've never had that one before, sure its not a setting tweak? I see the new windows update is Aug 2nd release.

elbmek, Jul 3, 2016
  9. killaz916 Win User
    i used the group policy manager - “Configure Automatic Updates” setting set to 2, notify but don't download or install. it only used to do this...

Windows 10 "Updates are available" POPUP (VERY ANNOYING) [​IMG]

Thats the action Center notification, never alt tabbing, only the noise, and a left over highlited icon, unless ofcourse im not in a app, ill see it. BUT in post 1, out of no where, i get that annoying thing, im on Build 1151 if that helps.

killaz916, Jul 3, 2016
  10. CmmTch Win User
    The version (non-insider) right now for W10 is 10586.420 1511.

Your replies are just repeating what the problem is, please try one of the suggestions given to you. There's no misunderstanding of the issue, and I can see how it would be very annoying to have that update window pop up when you're in the middle of something. But regardless of what it used to do, now it's doing something different, it would appear something different needs to be tried to get the end result you're wanting, no more windows update pop up message.

Please see the thread regarding updates from my post #5, try this solution from that post. This would seem to take care of the update pop up window issue.

CmmTch, Jul 3, 2016
  11. killaz916 Win User
    I have tried this metered connection, it does nothing to help, i ignored that solution because it doesn't apply to me, just like elbmek says he has never seen this message before, and google has no results either.

There must be a registry edit that can be done to disable the Popup, just like you can disable UAC.

killaz916, Jul 4, 2016
  12. Mystere Win User
    If you let your updates go too long, you will get that popup. The solution, is to update more frequently when it's NOT in the middle of something important. If you keep your system up to date, and apply updates when it's convenient for you, it won't force you to do them when it's inconvenient.

Mystere, Jul 4, 2016
  13. killaz916 Win User

so 3 days is too long for Microsoft eh? i would still like a way of shutting it off, so i never see that popup. and only the action center one. Thanks for clarifying why its happening though.

killaz916, Jul 4, 2016
  14. elbmek Win User
    I have updates on auto, so maybe that's why I never see it.

elbmek, Jul 4, 2016
  15. CmmTch Win User
    You're right elbmek, we'll never see it, I'm set to auto too.

The obvious fix for the immediate problem is check for updates more often per Mystere's explaination, seems if it's too long between updates then the pop up is generated.

There may be a reg hack, or something else, but for right now it's a fix for the pop up.

CmmTch, Jul 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 "Updates are available" POPUP (VERY ANNOYING) - Similar Threads - Updates are available

2. Annoying Microsoft popup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Annoying Microsoft popup: When I click to open an email in Outlook I have popup "When you sign in, we use your account to sign you in to other Microsoft apps and services," with options to "Continue" or "Don't sign in." I click "Don't sign in", as I use different Microsoft accounts for different...
  3. Mysterious annoying popup

Mysterious annoying popup: I am suddenly getting an annoying repetitive message, referencing external flash drives, for no obvious reason that will not go away. "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create...
  4. Mysterious annoying popup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mysterious annoying popup: I am suddenly getting an annoying repetitive message, referencing external flash drives, for no obvious reason that will not go away. "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create...
  5. annoying popups

in Windows 10 Customization
    annoying popups: How can I get rid of constant popup that begin on my desktop and continue wherever I go from there? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/annoying-popups/74893105-46df-43e1-9d68-e3de2fef2693
  6. annoying popup

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    annoying popup: I have an annoying popup that flashes onto my screen warning of some program failure or something but before I can read it, it's gone and comes back every minute or so and has progressively become faster and faster....
  7. Very suspicious update popups on Windows 10

Very suspicious update popups on Windows 10: I have been getting a strange popup for update without any update about what it's about. It also want's to install Yahoo search It has happened few times so far and I am unable to figure out which program is it related to. I used process explorer and to find out that...
  8. Annoying Malwarebytes popup

Annoying Malwarebytes popup: When I first installed MBAM, it was automatically the trial paid Version. Since I hadn't upgraded after the trial, it reverted to the free version (which is what I wanted). Every time I turn on my computer I get a pop-up from Malwarebytes trying to upgrade me. Is there any...
  9. Annoying PopUp.

Annoying PopUp.: Hi, this annoying pop-up, suddenly appeared, it's in Spanish, I think. Is it a virus or a continuation of Micro$ofts policy to annoy users (customers) to the Max!! 20489
  10. Annoying popup menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Annoying popup menu: Recently I have been getting an Windows 10 popup menu (see attached file) that comes up randomly and I have no idea how to turn it off. What is really annoying is when I am typing in Word or an email and it pops up, if I hit the corresponding letter that service opens up....