Windows 10: Windows 10 upgrade stuck on spinning dots, did everything

Discus and support Windows 10 upgrade stuck on spinning dots, did everything in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have just upgraded my Lenovo Flex 2 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 with the ISO MS had provided in their site. Things were going smoothly until after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by blazinfire, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Windows 10 upgrade stuck on spinning dots, did everything

I have just upgraded my Lenovo Flex 2 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 with the ISO MS had provided in their site. Things were going smoothly until after reaching 75%, the laptop rebooted and voila, an empty black screen was in front of me. After 1 hour of waiting for something to happen, I decided to shut down through holding the power button and restarted. The Lenovo logo and the spinning dots appeared but after a moment, the logo disappeared and the spinning dots have remained again for an hour. I have did everything from the sites Google has brought me to, including
    - removing all wireless dongles (particularly the one for my wireless mouse)
    - ctrl alt del
    - esc
    - f8/shift+f8
    - win+p
    - hard reset
    But nothing happened and the dots went spinning and spinning until the screen turned off with the power still on. What should I do??? I have important documents I should have finished in my laptop by now. Hope someone can reply ASAP

:)

blazinfire, Oct 22, 2016

2. Just spinning dots?

Windows 10 was working fine........restarted and stuck with spinning dots. I tried restarting with shift, F8 and still the same spinning dots.

BarryMeskin, Oct 22, 2016
  3. Starting Windows 10

Hey guys!

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7, every time i turn on the PC, the loading is stuck on Windows logo (with the spinning dots, which spin for a moment, and then simply stop and nothing happens)... After that, I press the restart button on
    my PC box and the problem is gone, and I can enter Windows normally... But i have to do this every time i start the PC - stuck at win logo, restart, and everything is fine....

Any advice for this?

Thank you!

DenisMioković, Oct 22, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 upgrade stuck on spinning dots, did everything

Depending on what exactly had happened- which is completely uncertain at this point- you might be able to 'go back to your previous build' by booting from Win 10 installation media - e.g. burn your iso to a DVD- and via Repair your computer, navigate to the option to do that.

You could check to see if that's likely by looking at your system partition - if Windows.old is present, you may be able to.

Note: it only takes one incompatible program (there aren't many), or some disk corruption etc and something can go wrong.

You'll have realised it's best never to do major upgrades at critical times, and always have backups. You may prefer to copy your important documents off the disk and work on them elsewhere. You could do that by getting the boot disk (DVD or flash drive) from the top of the Software and Apps section in this forum, and booting from that.

We recommend using disk imaging time and time again- best update your disk image before key changes so you can restore your previous working state if sthg goes wrong, quite quickly and without technical help.

dalchina, Oct 23, 2016
  5. An update...

So I tried connecting my laptop to a 2nd monitor (which is my TV) via HDMI and as soon as I connected it, the spinning dots paused and a BSOD appeared with a VIDEO DXGKRNL FATAL ERROR message then restarted. I continued to connect my laptop to my TV and the boot screen appeared again with the logo and the spinning dots and after a moment, the logo disappeared and the dots was intact. After a while, a mouse cursor appeared that I can move but it had no use. I believe this is a video card issue. BTW, I have a Lenovo Flex 2 14 (20404) with an i5 4210-U processor and Intel HD Graphics 4400 as the integrated GPU and an NVIDIA GeForce 840M as the discrete one. And before I forget, please know I am a newbie on this one so I hope you will answer me as simply as you could. Please help me

blazinfire, Oct 23, 2016
  6. Yet another update.

As I figured out that the cursor can move when I connected my bricked laptop to the TV thru HDMI, I tried to "blindly" log on to my laptop as I saw from another forum and tried to do the command Win+P, 2x down arrow key and enter. The laptop screen turned off and the display transferred to the TV screen so I thought it worked. But the bad news is the desktop did not visually open and both the cursor and the spinning dots were intact on the TV screen. I also tried to press Ctrl+Alt+Del and I noticed the loading circle near the cursor appeared for a few seconds. This might mean that I was already able to access the desktop but not visually. I am starting to get very puzzled because I have never saw this issue on the internet.

blazinfire, Oct 23, 2016
  7. But my laptop doesn't have a CD/DVD drive I can use to boot from W10 installation media. Is a USB flash drive applicable too?

blazinfire, Oct 23, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, Please see
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

The easiest option for you is to use the MS media creation tool to create a bootable flash drive. Make sure it's big enough- 6Gb+ e.g. Or you can use an external USB disk if you wish.

Please note: you can edit posts rather than creating a string of posts- it's easier to read.. thanks.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 upgrade stuck on spinning dots, did everything - Similar Threads - upgrade stuck spinning

2. Stuck on the welcome screen with the spinning dots

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck on the welcome screen with the spinning dots: I turned it on and scanned my fingerprint, and now it’s just loading eternally. Closing the lid turns the screen off, but when I wake it back up, it’s still loading. It doesn’t even respond to the power button or any combination with the escape buttons. The computer is a...
  3. Windows stuck on spinning dots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows stuck on spinning dots: Hi, I i have a desktop, which has been running Windows 10, updated from Windows 7. Yesterday when I tried to start it up, it got stuck at the black screen with the Asus logo and black spinning usually, but now frozen dots. In the past it has occasionally been slow at this...
  4. Windows 10 is Stuck in Spinning Dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 is Stuck in Spinning Dots: Hi guys, I need some help. I just encountered this bizarre problem on Windows 10 64-bit (this is the second time that I encountered the problem this year). Here’s how the problem started: 1. I noticed that Windows 10 Pro 64-bit is stuck on spinning dots. I’ve waited for...
  5. Stuck at Spinning Dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Stuck at Spinning Dots: I have a Dell Precision 7910 on windows 10 1803. I updated a couple weeks ago through windows update. I have booted the machine several times since updating. A few days ago I update the NVIDIA driver. I have dual K620 cards. Booted a couple of times sine that update. Today...
  6. Windows 10 latest update stuck at spinning dots

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 latest update stuck at spinning dots: Even after several restarts and trying ctrl alt delete. There's no work around. Can't solve this. Please help. The message is: we couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. Don't turn off computer. 88966
  7. Windows 10 boot stuck on spinning dots

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 boot stuck on spinning dots: Hey, so to start with, I have a gaming pc and a mac. My macs hardrive (bootcamped windows 10) wasnt working. So to test if its still alive, I plugged it into my gaming pc (set it as my first boot option) to see if itll boot.. and it did. The issue arises when I unplug...
  8. Stuck at spinning dots

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuck at spinning dots: Hi, first of all, sorry for my bad English. My issue is pretty straight forward: last night I left my computer powered on, and when I woke up, I had a Windows update screen stuck at 100%. The mouse didn't work, everything was frozen. I restarted my PC and it froze at...
  9. Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck- Black Screen - Blue Logo - Spinning Dots

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Upgrade Stuck- Black Screen - Blue Logo - Spinning Dots: Hi guys, I know there's many threads on this subject but none seem to answer it for me. System: i7 950 X58A-UD3R Rev 2.0 16gb Ram GTX760. Pretty sure it's a Samsung 250gb SSD. So I upgraded W7 to W10 via iso. Install made it all the way. On reboot it's now suck...
  10. Windows 10 stuck on spinning dots during bootup

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 stuck on spinning dots during bootup: I upgraded Alienware Aurora Windows 7 to Windows 10 and everything was going fine. Then one day my computer restarted by itself (I didn't see but I assume it was installing an update) and afterwards it will not boot up. Every time I try to boot I see the Alienware screen,...