Windows 10: Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

Discus and support Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Yes, the numbers for 8.x weren't great, although they did and are making profit on it. And remember, just as a farm stand they have other products.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by PaulGo, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Tony K Win User

Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

Yes, the numbers for 8.x weren't great, although they did and are making profit on it. And remember, just as a farm stand they have other products. Past OSs are like aces up their sleeves. It was a fight at 8F. If one didn't like it then don't use it. What else could we say? The complaining may have helped, but to a company the numbers speak louder.

They brought the Start Menu back. I should think it not to be totally like the last as it's always been. Cannot one tweak it by placing tiles on the right to replace the missing links? Does not right clicking on the Start Flag or WinKey/X bring up the advanced context menu (power user task menu) in the lower-left corner of the screen? If so, how much better is that with more links there? One doesn't need to open CP using that most of the time. BTW, did they add more to that menu?

The biggest changes are bringing back the Start Menu with option to use the Start Screen and the tiling of apps, whether Win32 or Modern and in better combination. Much improved snapping also.

Tony K, Oct 6, 2014
  2. CountMike New Member

I don't know about you guys but to me XP had a best Start Menu, after that I barely used it. As for 10 I'm still waiting for it to mature, can bet there would be more changes to come. Adding tiles to it is not a bad idea at all specially if some really good Apps start coming. For now, I set that part to resemble my Start Screen, aka Metro because I got kinda used to it even without any real Apps, save for couple of Live tiles.
    The way it is now, it looks to me that Start menu is just combination of All Apps and Start Screen. One thing I hope for is that they'll make Start Menu to pop up with mouseover on Stat button together with Taskbar as I'm used to keep it hidden. Right now, it's a bit awkward, have to bring cursor to the bottom of the screen, slide over to Start button and than click on it. Too many motions just to get to Start Menu and than to chase small print and icons on the left side.
    A lot of work still left for MS in that segment if they want to negate need for third party customizers.

CountMike, Oct 6, 2014
  3. Alright don't get me started on Metro *Tongue
    First impression was OMG
    Second was Start8 less than an hour later after installing 8.1 *Wink

Not sure what your waiting for Mike go for it dude *Wink
    It's pretty stable but if you like Metro *Shock win-10 wasn't your idea *Smile

ThrashZone, Oct 6, 2014
  4. CountMike New Member

I'm not really ga-ga about Metro and even less about Apps but leveled with better performance of W8.1 I'm more than willing to put up with it. Once I got it set up the way it's best for me, I kinda got used to it but it's only one of the ways I set everything up to find and start programs.

CountMike, Oct 6, 2014
  5. Tony K Win User
    Ahh, TZ, it's Modern, not Metro. You might get sued using that word. *Tongue

Would someone please answer? > Does right clicking on the Start Flag or WinKey/X bring up the advanced context menu (power user task menu) in the lower left corner of the screen? If so, would someone please post a snip of it?

Tony K, Oct 6, 2014
  6. ThrashZone, Oct 6, 2014
  7. Tony K Win User
    Thanks, TZ.

There's added links on that. Pretty soon all what's in CP will be on the menu, so no need for a CP.

Tony K, Oct 6, 2014
  8. Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again

No problem the tutorials are being added to daily *Wink

I'm not a large fan of shortcut keys to get to items so jury still out on that one,
    Power tools are great if one knows how to use them,
    I thought we were talking about average users not power or advanced users which are a large space between the two *Wink
    Basic customization don't confuse that with power tools dialogs unless they are made easy to access via desktop/ personalize *Wink

ThrashZone, Oct 6, 2014
  9. I don't really think much has changed from a regular consumers point of view since XP.
    Windows 10 seems fine so far, nothing much has amazed me yet (3 days).
    It would be nice to see a rotating 3 dimensional cube, with 4 desktops on it, bit far-fetched I know Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again :)

johnwillyums, Oct 8, 2014
  10. I've always considered that to be a useless gimmick. *Smile

lehnerus2000, Oct 8, 2014
  11. Yeah. Looks great though *Smile I don't really have the kind of mind that can cope with more than one desktop at a time anyway.

johnwillyums, Oct 8, 2014
  12. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

LINUX !!!!

You can get all sorts of effects -- I like "Wobbly Windows" when moving windows -- take your choice.

Now an OS that could type by me just THINKING and without having to type anything in would be brilliant too -- not so far fetched as you might imagine.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 8, 2014
  13. CountMike New Member

Boy, would my OS be confused !!!!!

CountMike, Oct 8, 2014
  14. JDobbsy1987, Oct 8, 2014
  15. Gimmick for most, but it does look so damn cool *Smile

SmartEyeball, Oct 9, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 10sion: What's Old Is New Again - Similar Threads - 10sion What's Old

2. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old windows on new PC: Will the product key work on the new pc as I can't do anything to remove the key from the old pc? The motherboard died so I need to change everything except SSD. I need to it and I dont want to buy license again....
  3. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old windows on new PC: Will the product key work on the new pc as I can't do anything to remove the key from the old pc? The motherboard died so I need to change everything except SSD. I need to it and I dont want to buy license again....
  4. Old windows on new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again: I installed the latest intel driver from intel's website the windows downloaded the old driver again and installed it I tried disabling the update but nothing works. Even let it install the old driver then update it again but the problem is still not fixed. I installed the...
  6. windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 is installing old intel drivers again and again: I installed the latest intel driver from intel's website the windows downloaded the old driver again and installed it I tried disabling the update but nothing works. Even let it install the old driver then update it again but the problem is still not fixed. I installed the...
  7. same old virus again in windows 11

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    same old virus again in windows 11: Hi again, i finally got some logs greg, hopefully this will help. So I have windows 11 apparently but the same old files appear and these are the logs I managed to capture if they are the actual ones from my scans, Rod Christoffersen 0414466007 Aussie *** Email address is...
  8. New pc buy Windows again?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New pc buy Windows again?: I just have a laptop with Windows 10 already installed (the laptop is new) and I want to build a gaming pc and assemble it myself. Now my question is if i have to buy Windows or if i can do it somehow? Neuer Pc nochmal Windows kaufen?
  9. Again new update and again explorer not responding

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Again new update and again explorer not responding: As title says again explorer not responding after updating and all i get is black screen. Tried running SFC/SCANNOW It found corrupted files and fixed them, but it didn't fix anything....
  10. old drivers are at it again

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    old drivers are at it again: With the new release of windows the old buggy 2.7 drivers are back that crashes the pc be warned includes latest 1803 version if i update your drivers windows update will replace them with the messed up ones this was a common issue that wa supposed to fixed you can try...