Windows 10: Windows 1809 START menu forgets new folder and changes in app list

Discus and support Windows 1809 START menu forgets new folder and changes in app list in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I wanted to condense all office apps into one folder in the start menu instead of having them scattered throughout start in alphabetical order. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jkh334, Nov 17, 2018.

1. jkh334 Win User

Windows 1809 START menu forgets new folder and changes in app list

I wanted to condense all office apps into one folder in the start menu instead of having them scattered throughout start in alphabetical order. I changed the name of the default 'Microsoft Office Tools' folder to ...Office 2019 and made a new folder inside this one named ...Office Tools placing the apps that were in there originally into the new folder while moving the main office apps from throughout start into the ...office 2019 folder. Everything seemed to behave as expected with all office apps in the ...Office 2019 folder when I clicked on start.

It seems a short time later (probably after a reboot) the apps are no longer in the Office 2019 folder but scattered again in ABC order throughout Start. When I right-click and 'Open File Location' the changes I made are still there but so too are new shortcuts to the office apps added outside the Office 2019 folder back in the original default location. I'm attaching screenshots of what my start menu folders look like showing the times I made the folders and then the times where the new original shortcuts were somehow brought back. Any ideas how to fix this would be appreciated.

Windows 1809 START menu forgets new folder and changes in app list [​IMG]

:)

jkh334, Nov 17, 2018
  2. Deblk Win User

How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu

Hiya...I created a new folder in the start menu folder but it does not show in the All Apps List?

Deblk, Nov 17, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Customize Start List Folders in Windows 10  

Hello @WTenNewbie, *Smile

If you like, you could use step 4 in Option One of the tutorial below to add a folder that contains your own shortcuts in the All apps list on the Start menu.

*Arrow Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

Brink, Nov 17, 2018
  4. Windows 1809 START menu forgets new folder and changes in app list

How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

Please elaborate on I was unable to get it to recognize a new folder

Do you mean
    the folder did not appear in the Start list
    - or -
    you could not create the folder

I add folders and shortcuts to the Start menu regularly. Once I figured out the time stamp thing (a new object shows up, a copied object might show up).

Please follow these steps exactly and post any problems you run into when they happen.

1. Open Control Panel (View by: Small icons)

2. Right click Indexing Options in Control Panel
      Select Create shortcut
      answer Yes when the dialog window tells you that the shortcut cannot be created here ....
      There should now be an Indexing Options shortcut on your Desktop

3. Launch File Explorer
      Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
      Create a new folder named 10test
      Open the new 10test folder in File Explorer
      Drag the Indexing Options shortcut on your Desktop to the new 10test folder

4. Open Start - the 10test folder should be at the top of the list and the Indexing Options shortcut is inside that folder.

That is the process I use.

There were issues with Start in some of the earlier Preview builds, but I haven't seen those in the Retail release.

If I recall, pinning something from the list to Start seemed to wake up the process. Try that if you don't see the 10test folder in the menu list.

That's about all I can think of.

Slartybart, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

Windows 1809 START menu forgets new folder and changes in app list

1. Windows 1809 START menu forgets new folder and changes in app list - Similar Threads - 1809 START menu

2. Is there anyway to prevent "folders" from being in the start menu apps list?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there anyway to prevent "folders" from being in the start menu apps list?: [ATTACH] What I mean is that I dislike the way Windows will display folders in the start menu. Maybe it's blasphemous to say here, but I prefer the way Mac OS has apps as "packages" and then you just click on the app to launch it and it has a clean look where every app...
  3. Alphabetical Listing of Apps on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Alphabetical Listing of Apps on Start Menu: The alphabetical listing of all apps on the start menu has disappeared and now all i have is an all apps button which then displays icons on the main screen and not the start menu...
  4. Issue With Start Menu Apps List

Issue With Start Menu Apps List: I run Windows 10 and have an issue with the Start Menu List of Apps the list of apps/ programs in alphabetic order that appears on the left side of the screen next to the Start Tiles. Some shortcuts are contained in folders that I want to move out of the folders, place them...
  5. Customize Start Menu App List

Customize Start Menu App List: Greetings, I've already tried asking this in Microsoft Answers. I have created an "Adobe" folder (below) in the Start Menu app list, to put Adobe apps in: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Adobe I have moved Acrobat Reader and Photoshop Elements into the...
  6. Certain apps not showing in Start Menu app list

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Certain apps not showing in Start Menu app list: So, I'm on Windows 10, the latest version, and I have been having one issue. I have certain apps such as Cydia Impactor which doesn't show up in the app list. I can pin it to the start menu but I really want it in the list. This app was originally in the Documents folder...
  7. Windows 10 start menu no longer lists apps in alphabetical list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 start menu no longer lists apps in alphabetical list: I just recently had an update which resulted in my start screen no longer display my apps in an alphabetical list. I do I recover that format ? Version 1809 of Windows 10 Build 17763.195 Thank you in advance, June...
  8. Cortana don't show hidden folder in "Start Menu App List"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana don't show hidden folder in "Start Menu App List": Hi, Why Cortana don't search hidden folder in Start Menu? I copied a folder that contains my portable apps shortcut, when I copy that folder to Start Menu folder [in ProgramData], Cortana lists that folder in Start Menu App List and Cortana search works but when I hide that...
  9. Start menu Apps list is not updating when changes are made to folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu Apps list is not updating when changes are made to folder: Hi folks, pulling my hair out on this one. I'm trying to clean up and create folders for the new 'all apps' alphabetical list through the StartMenu\Programs folder. I can confirm that dragging a shortcut OUT of the folder does update and the app is removed from the list....
  10. How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I add a new folder to the All Apps list in start menu: Hiya...I created a new folder in the start menu folder but it does not show in the All Apps List? 58936

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 1809 hidecalendar from start menu applist