Windows 10: Windows 7 Update to 10

Discus and support Windows 7 Update to 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Last year, tried to update my 2 PC's, one with 8.1 and one with 7. Both failed on updates using the update process and an ISO burned to DVD. Tried for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Coastalguy, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Windows 7 Update to 10

Last year, tried to update my 2 PC's, one with 8.1 and one with 7. Both failed on updates using the update process and an ISO burned to DVD. Tried for almost a month, searching the net to no avail and gave up.

Before the free period was up, figured maybe the update system was perfected better, so searched again and found on the Microsoft site, their Windows 10 Update application. Used it to successfully update my 8.1 to 10, so hopefully tried it on my 7.

However, after finding my PC is ok for updating, it downloaded and configured to 100% and then restarted, displaying a black screen with a percent completed in a white circle. At the bottom was 3 processes, copying the files, updating the applications/devices and configuring the system. It went through about 50% of the copying but then restarted and re-configured back to 7. I did this twice with the same results.

Unless someone can finally provide a solution to upgrade my 7, it looks like I will not be able to upgrade, but to purchase a full version of 10 and try that to upgrade or do a clean install.

:)

Coastalguy, Jun 27, 2016

2. How to update Windows 10 Pro

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070422)

How To Update Windows 10 Pro, Jun 27, 2016
  3. Windows 10 haven't updated to version 1511 --- How to find product key

I haven't run the ISO disk as of yet, I want the current product key in hand, on a post it note, prior to doing that, not interested in MS bullS**T about it not being needed. 2 hours online with tech support and they can't cope with the question of how
    can the current product key be accessed in windows 10.

I've never owned a Apple product, but I can never see buying or having another MS product in my household after this.

NOT THE ONLY ONE

Windows 10 update fail, Jun 27, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 7 Update to 10

NavyLCDR, Jun 27, 2016
  5. Hazel123 Win User
    I would try a clean install. I had a similar thing with a Windows 7 laptop, and after a clean install it worked perfectly. I don't think upgrades always work well depending on what's already installed on the system and there can be conflicts or corrupt files that cause issues.

I did a clean install last week, after making a System Image of Windows 7 first and also saving all personal files to a portable hard drive. Last year there was a driver issue for the graphics, but when I did the clean install last week, Windows found all the drivers. So the updated ISO and a clean install may work.

We have one machine that definitely won't run Windows 10 though - it has a cedartrail processor and won't run anything except Windows 7 (it won't even run Linux without graphics issues). And with that one I had problems getting Windows 7 back on it. So before doing the clean install I'd make sure you have a number of options for reinstalling W7 just in case. ie make new recovery disks (there'll be an option somewhere in the system from the manufacturer) which can reinstall the original software and set up from disk - as well as a system image and saving all your files.

Hazel123, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 7 Update to 10

1. Windows 7 Update to 10 - Similar Threads - Update

2. My update keeps saying eror?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My update keeps saying eror?: When I'm trying to update my computer it is saying eror? How do I fix this big problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-update-keeps-saying-eror/6dc28e21-e91f-42e8-8600-fe2bb91aca6e
  3. My update keeps saying eror?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My update keeps saying eror?: When I'm trying to update my computer it is saying eror? How do I fix this big problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-update-keeps-saying-eror/6dc28e21-e91f-42e8-8600-fe2bb91aca6e
  4. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence: MS release monthly security updates, do I need to install allall previous months or just the latest one will do?assuming i got my laptop in Feb 2024, what is the correct sequence to install those monthly updatesoffline, from update catalog.?...
  5. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence: MS release monthly security updates, do I need to install allall previous months or just the latest one will do?assuming i got my laptop in Feb 2024, what is the correct sequence to install those monthly updatesoffline, from update catalog.?...
  6. Windows dynamic cumulative update install sequence

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Why is windows update breaking my pc every other day?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is windows update breaking my pc every other day?: Windows update keeps breaking my display drivers with every minor update. Every other day I have to reinstall my display driver because after every update when I try to launch a game I get a warning about corrupted/outdated display drivers. Rather than making my PC work...
  8. Why is windows update breaking my pc every other day?

Why is windows update breaking my pc every other day?: Windows update keeps breaking my display drivers with every minor update. Every other day I have to reinstall my display driver because after every update when I try to launch a game I get a warning about corrupted/outdated display drivers. Rather than making my PC work...
  9. Why is windows update breaking my pc every other day?

10. 0x80070643 Update error

0x80070643 Update error: Hello,I have read the threads in regard to the update error, it suggested you need the recovery to be at least 250 mg? OK, before delving into making it larger possibly nowhere have I seen yet how to see if it is bigger than 250?I know it is a little more than right clicking...