Windows 10: Windows Apps not working, none of the fixes help

Discus and support Windows Apps not working, none of the fixes help in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded to Insider Builds of Windows 10, but after many errors I encountered with it I decided to roll back. I had an option to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Margister, May 4, 2016.

1. Margister Win User

Windows Apps not working, none of the fixes help

I have recently upgraded to Insider Builds of Windows 10, but after many errors I encountered with it I decided to roll back. I had an option to restore to the previous version of Windows in the settings app, and so I have done so. This rolled me back to pre-Insider normal Windows build, but my Windows Metro apps and Store would not open. By running the Calculator I'd see a black box pop-up and suddenly disappear.
    This wasn't so bad initially, until by someone internet advice I ran this in Poweshell:
    Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”
    Now none of the apps even attempt to open, and running the Calculator pops up a box asking which app to use to open the calculator with, and the only option available is the Windows Store, although it has no logo.
    If I select Windows Store and press OK, I get the following error message:
    Title: ms-windows-store:Assoc?protocol=calculator
    Contents: Windows cannot find 'ms-windows-store:Assoc?protocol=calculator'. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again.

After this I ran the .bat file from here:
    Store - Re-register in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    but it closes very quickly.
    To read the message I ran re-register_Store.bat from the elevated Cmd, and I got the following:
    Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\AppxManifest.xml' because it does not ex
    ist.
    At line:1 char:97
    + ... fest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\AppxManifest.xml:String) [Ad
    d-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManag
    er.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

:)

Margister, May 4, 2016
  2. Arun B J Win User

After the store not working and none of the fixes worked i decided to run a recovery and low and behold EVERYTHING not microsoft needs to be removed.

Hi,

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• What is the exact issue that you’re facing with Windows 10 anniversary update?
    • Are you facing any issue with Games on Windows 10?
    • Have you updated all the drivers?

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution. Please get back to us with the above information in order to assist you accordingly.

Thanks and regards.

Arun B J, May 4, 2016
  3. kjl1956 Win User
    After the store not working and none of the fixes worked i decided to run a recovery and low and behold EVERYTHING not microsoft needs to be removed.

ALL steam and EA origin games, realtek audio, nvidia gtx drivers. What the #$@!^& do I have a computer for, to be a microsoft slave device to push out your priority garbage down my throat.

Could not understand why so many of us were having issues on 1607, here's the answer.

Yea get us locked in on the free stuff to just switch gears after the 29th deadline, now come the brute force

takacs.

My steam library across several drives ranges in about 6tb of data alone.

I know MS is trying to get in on the game thing but this just takes it too far.

Blocking the windows store and trying to push me into the MS system.

I did not put this pc together just to have the privilege to hand over control to big MS.

Done.

kjl1956, May 4, 2016
  4. flybynite Win User

Reinstall from scratch.

flybynite, May 4, 2016
  5. Margister Win User
    I've got about 1.5TB of applications installed on this system, that would take much longer to reinstall than to find some complex solution.

Margister, May 4, 2016
  6. flybynite Win User
    I understand. You need to download the iso of whichever build you have. Mount it, and click on setup. It is an inplace reinstall. Sort of like upgrading to your same build.

flybynite, May 4, 2016
  7. Margister Win User
    Wouldn't that remove my applications?
    By the looks of things my WinStore folder is missing, but SFC did not fix it.

Margister, May 4, 2016
  8. flybynite Win User

Not if you choose to keep everything.

flybynite, May 4, 2016
  9. Margister Win User
    Do you reckon that if I entered for Insider Builds again, I'd regain my Store?

Margister, May 4, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, May 4, 2016
  11. Margister Win User
    Hey, I have taken the good ISO and ran the program, it said that 86% of it was done, and then it rebooted. I was prompted with the Updating Windows screen which reaches some percentage (19%?) but then the computer reset, stating 'Restoring your previous version of Windows' and after a reset I had a 'Scanning and repairing drive C:'. Now I am back to my Windows 10 with broken Windows Apps, and the Windows 10 installer thingy gave me this message:
    0x8007002C - 0x2000D
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.
    Fyi, my Toshiba drive (3TB) is split into 2 drives (as my Explorer shows), drive C: which contains the Windows installation and is 61.4GB free out of 149GB, and my Data which is 1.38TB free out of 2.55TB.

Margister, May 5, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Margister,

If you like, try step 7 to do a repair install using the Media Creation Tool to see if it may work instead.

Brink, May 5, 2016
  13. Margister Win User

When I was referring to the program I actually meant the Media Creation Tool's upgrade now. That is the method I have used, and it gave me the error above.

Margister, May 5, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    In that case, you may need to clean install or refresh Windows instead. *Sad

Brink, May 5, 2016
  15. Margister Win User
    I have no option to refresh Windows within the settings, only to reset it :/
    If I'm going to have to go through the pain of reinstalling everything and so on, I will definitely not go with Windows 10 again.

Margister, May 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows Apps not working, none of the fixes help - Similar Threads - Apps working none

2. none working apps in start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    none working apps in start menu: The start menu app is not working right now. It is not clickable and when you click it several times the PC will crash and be not responding. I restart multiple times it will not move. Before I was able to resolve this by updating my Windows now I dont have update it the PC...
  3. none working apps in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    none working apps in start menu: The start menu app is not working right now. It is not clickable and when you click it several times the PC will crash and be not responding. I restart multiple times it will not move. Before I was able to resolve this by updating my Windows now I dont have update it the PC...
  4. None of the windows apps working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    None of the windows apps working: When i try to open any windows app, like microsoft store or the xbox app, it always opens for a milisecond then immedietely crashes, I tried checking for updates and everything was up to date. I also tried redownloading the xbox app from browser since it wasn't working. when...
  5. None of the windows apps working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    None of the windows apps working: When i try to open any windows app, like microsoft store or the xbox app, it always opens for a milisecond then immedietely crashes, I tried checking for updates and everything was up to date. I also tried redownloading the xbox app from browser since it wasn't working. when...
  6. help none of the microsoft apps open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    help none of the microsoft apps open: so my problem is that i cant open any microsoft apps like:calculator,camera,movies,minecraft,mixed reality and etc and it greyed out too is there way to fix problem?...
  7. help none of the microsoft apps open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    help none of the microsoft apps open: so my problem is that i cant open any microsoft apps like:calculator,camera,movies,minecraft,mixed reality and etc and it greyed out too is there way to fix problem?...
  8. None of my apps are working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    None of my apps are working: My desktop starts up fine, sign in goes fine, then cannot do anything. Can open apps i.e. Excel but then cannot do anything. Cannot open files, and cannot exit out of the program. All of the apps have the problem. I do get a message to Pin to Start? Does anyone have any...
  9. Search Broken - None of the Fixes are Working

in Cortana
    Search Broken - None of the Fixes are Working: The search field was working find and all of a sudden, when a search I get a big grey box and it will not work. I've already looked for resolutions and nothing is working. This is a major issue for me, I have a lot of files as I'm a writer with hundreds of articles I often...
  10. None of my windows apps work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    None of my windows apps work: I just did the update to windows 10 and now none of my windows apps work. I have tried resetting all the apps, repairing them, and running the powershell with answers from other threads. I tried redoing the update, and even tried restoring to earlier version of windows. None...