Windows 10: Windows boot manager

Discus and support Windows boot manager in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Sorry, no but that's wrong. That only shows when bios is set to CSM mode. The boot manager entry allows to boot in bios mode aka legacy mode.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by harleymike, Feb 28, 2016.

1. fdegrove Win User

Windows boot manager

Hi,

Sorry, no but that's wrong.
    That only shows when bios is set to CSM mode. The boot manager entry allows to boot in bios mode aka legacy mode.
    It should not even show up unless " showing invalid boot entries" or something along these lines isn't checked in the bios of the machine.

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2016
  2. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Don't worry about that, it has nothing to do with what you're experiencing. Just ignore it.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2016
  3. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I suspect that's what it does.I suspect that's what it does.
    Easiest way to find out is to disconnect the new SSD and boot the machine. If it runs Windows then quite likely it'll always boot from it and the new SSD is basically a storage drive. Unless you can change things in bios that is which I doubt as this looks like a tablet with a Msata soldered to its motherboard, right ?

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2016
  4. unlisted Win User

Windows boot manager

Windows boot manager [​IMG]

Here is a screenshot of the disk management.

I'm seeing conflicting results on this. Before I start reinstalling all of the applications and recovering my files from backup I want to make sure Windows is installed properly and I don't run into problems down the road.

I just had my Dell XPS 8700 crash last week with a "no boot device available" problem on the original HDD.

I installed the new Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD with Windows 10. The boot priority is set at "UEFI Windows Boot Manager" and the SSD is not an option currently. The SSD does show up in the BIOS under SATA 1 just not in the boot priority list.

unlisted, Apr 4, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    You should be good to go. Your computer is booting from the EFI system partition on Disk 0 and loading the OS from the 3rd partition on Disk 0.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2016
  6. unlisted Win User
    So it is installed properly even though there is not a SSD option in the BIOS boot priority?

Is this just the the proper way since a SSD loads much quicker versus a traditional HDD and doesn't need to search for a particular drive?

unlisted, Apr 4, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's just the way your bios is setup, but it's fine just the way it is. I don't see any reason to change anything.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2016
  8. fdegrove Win User

Windows boot manager

Hi,

The MSata drive is on that MB is what exactly ?

If it's an SSD then it's OK but probably much slower than the newer SSD you just installed.

Fine, yes but optimum it probably is not. No idea what you can set in bios though.

One of these days we'll boot from RAM.... Or a small extremely fast SSD drive...

Oh well, what do I know.... ??

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2016
  9. unlisted Win User
    It is a 32GB mSata SSD which I believe intended to speed up the original HDD caching. Not sure if it is going to be useful now that I have installed a SSD for my main drive.

Thanks again for your help. I just don't want to run into any problems in the future if I can avoid it. My old HDD just seemingly crashed and I got a "no boot device available" error. I took this opportunity to go the SSD route for the system and application drive and will install a HDD for additional file storage.

The "UEFI Windows Boot Manager" was new to me and wanted to make sure I have a proper setup before going through with the installation of all of my applications and files from my backup drive. I am used to seeing the actual drive as an option in the boot priority but I suppose the motherboard and SSD have dictated this setup instead.

There is not a lot of info out there that explains the the purpose, reasoning, or any differences for this setup so just trying to be proactive and avoid any headaches in the future. *Smile

unlisted, Apr 4, 2016
  10. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

You set up the system perfectly.
    The 32Gb was indeed intended to overcome the speed limitations of a typical spinner by using it as a caching device.
    You could now use it for whatever you fancy really.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Apr 4, 2016
  11. Hey guys.

I have the same issue and yes, I'm good with whatever works too but my question is:

Is UEFI mode better than Legacy? I know Legacy is a much older method of booting but what's faster and better?

pabloottawa, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows boot manager

1. Windows boot manager - Similar Threads - boot manager

2. **Bootable pen drive not visible in boot manager.** How to make it visible and boot the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    **Bootable pen drive not visible in boot manager.** How to make it visible and boot the...: I am trying to reset windows due to corruption of files of windows due to idk.I tried the following ways:I used media creation tool to make iso in pen drive.I tried rufus tool to do the same with both GPT and MBR type of systems.Tried contacting Microsoft, they also tried to...
  3. **Bootable pen drive not visible in boot manager.** How to make it visible and boot the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    **Bootable pen drive not visible in boot manager.** How to make it visible and boot the...: I am trying to reset windows due to corruption of files of windows due to idk.I tried the following ways:I used media creation tool to make iso in pen drive.I tried rufus tool to do the same with both GPT and MBR type of systems.Tried contacting Microsoft, they also tried to...
  4. Backup distroyed Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup distroyed Windows Boot Manager: I got my wife a new PC with OEM Win 11 installed. It worked fine when powered up. I had previously made a backup on a external hard disk of her old Win 10 pc using the free version of AOMEI backupper version 7.3.3 . I selected System Backup.The backup appeared to work...
  5. Backup distroyed Windows Boot Manager

Backup distroyed Windows Boot Manager: I got my wife a new PC with OEM Win 11 installed. It worked fine when powered up. I had previously made a backup on a external hard disk of her old Win 10 pc using the free version of AOMEI backupper version 7.3.3 . I selected System Backup.The backup appeared to work...
  6. Can I move Windows Boot Manager to another drive without reinstalling windows?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can I move Windows Boot Manager to another drive without reinstalling windows?: I want to remove that hard drive from pc because it is starting to fail https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-move-windows-boot-manager-to-another-drive/49d45fc6-2fe3-43fe-961d-0c7e6037786d
  7. Can I move Windows Boot Manager to another drive without reinstalling windows?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I move Windows Boot Manager to another drive without reinstalling windows?: I want to remove that hard drive from pc because it is starting to fail https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-move-windows-boot-manager-to-another-drive/49d45fc6-2fe3-43fe-961d-0c7e6037786d
  8. Can I move Windows Boot Manager to another drive without reinstalling windows?

9. Why is my PC not able to get a Windows Boot Manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my PC not able to get a Windows Boot Manager?: Ive recently got myself a new NVMe 2.0 SSD Samsung 980 and ive installed windows on it. But for whatever reason it doesnt boot. SSD is visible and Windows is downloaded on it Confirmed due to missing space on the SSD after download. What i noticed is that there is no Windows...
  10. Why is my PC not able to get a Windows Boot Manager?

Why is my PC not able to get a Windows Boot Manager?: Ive recently got myself a new NVMe 2.0 SSD Samsung 980 and ive installed windows on it. But for whatever reason it doesnt boot. SSD is visible and Windows is downloaded on it Confirmed due to missing space on the SSD after download. What i noticed is that there is no Windows...