Windows 10: Windows boot slowly after dual boot Ubuntu

Discus and support Windows boot slowly after dual boot Ubuntu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I used to use Windows for my work and It used to boot very fast. However, after dual boot with Ubuntu, my windows boot time became very long, it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by buimanhthang, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Windows boot slowly after dual boot Ubuntu

I used to use Windows for my work and It used to boot very fast. However, after dual boot with Ubuntu, my windows boot time became very long, it was annoying. I deleted Ubuntu, FORMATED ALL DRIVE, devided partitions, reinstalled Windows but it is still not better. FAST BOOT IS ENABLED, no start up app, no firewall, no antivirus.After windows logo 10 sec, boot is stucked in black screen 10 sec, and no background image in login screen (My laptop used to boot just in 8 sec before dual boot)

:)

buimanhthang, Dec 17, 2016

2. Boot time in Windows 10

Why does Windows boot slowly after dual boot with Ubuntu?

I used to use Windows for my work and It used to boot very fast. However, after dual boot with Ubuntu, my windows boot time became very long, it was annoying. I deleted Ubuntu, FORMATED ALL DRIVE, devided partitions, reinstalled
    Windows but it is still not better. FAST BOOT IS ENABLED, no start up app, no firewall, no antivirus.

After windows logo 10 sec, boot is stucked in black screen 10 sec, and no background image in login screen
    (My laptop used to boot just in 8 sec before dual boot)

Bui Manh Thang, Dec 17, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Dec 17, 2016
  4. Asuza Win User

Windows boot slowly after dual boot Ubuntu

Hello buimanhthang,

Is your BIOS in UEFI or in Legacy mode? and with fast boot do you mean the option in Windows, the option in your bios (optional) or both?

Also, you could try to disable GUI boot. It basically gets rid of the Windows logo during the boot.
    Open the run dialog with Windows key + R. then type in "msconfig" and activate "No GUI boot" inside the Boot tab.

Windows boot slowly after dual boot Ubuntu [​IMG]

Save changes and reboot. Let me know if the problem still exists.

Asuza, Dec 17, 2016
  5. Windows boot slowly after dual boot Ubuntu [​IMG]

Here is my BIOS settings. I tried setting no GUI boot, but it is not better.

6. Only one thing changed is that there was no circle loading symbol under windows logo. It is not faster. Above is my BIOS settings

7. As an experiment and I know it sounds counter intuitive. Would you mind trying shutting off hibernation which in turn will disable fast startup. Also if your device has something for fast start, like an Asus laptop, make sure its disabled. My thought is to just see how fast your machine boots right from storage drive.

Elevated command prompt powercfg -h off

Same command to turn on but with on instead of off.

Caledon Ken, Dec 17, 2016
  8. Windows boot slowly after dual boot Ubuntu

I tried and I boot like restarting.

Boot in restarting is longer than boot after shutting down.

In restarting, it takes 8 sec on Windows logo and loading symbol. After that windows logo disappear and it takes 10 sec. It is stucked in black screen in 8 sec. And login screen, it takes 15 sec.

Booting after shutting down is a bit faster but it is still stucked in black screen a while before entering login screen with no background image (although I setted its background)

9. Found this article, some of it you've done but two interesting steps, Virtual Memory size and Linux Terminal, and I'm not sure when they get invoked in boot so they may make no difference. I know you want to reduce or better yet eliminate black screen portion after 10 logo. Worth a read.
    5 Tips to Fix Slow Boot Times in Windows 10

In your BIOS Screen shots, and I'm not saying its wrong, you have as Boot options the Onboard NIC's. I'm on soft ground here but do you actually boot from a Network. Is it trying these options somehow?

Caledon Ken, Dec 17, 2016
  10. I think that boot options doesn't make sense. Anyway, thank you for your care.

11. Asuza Win User
    Hello, you could try the following , *Smile

Make sure that you have a Windows installation medium, may it be a DVD or USB. If you don't have one you can take a look here on how to get it: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...-download.html

Before you begin, create a system restore point !

• Boot from the DVD or USB
    • Select your language etc. and click Next.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Click Troubleshoot.
    • Click Advanced Options.
    • Click Command Prompt.
    • In the command prompt window, type bootrec /fixmbr
    • Close the command prompt.
    • Click Turn off your PC.
    • Boot into Windows.

Please let me know if this has worked.

Asuza, Dec 17, 2016
  12. It doesn't work, nothing changes

buimanhthang, Dec 18, 2016
  13. Spectrum Win User

To really see what is going on as your system boots, we need a Windows Performance Recorder boot trace. This is not a very beginner-friendly task, so it's ok if you are not comfortable doing this.

However if you're willing to give it a try, you will need to install the Microsoft Performance Toolkit via the Windows ADK, and then perform a trace of your machine booting.

Launch Windows Performance Recorder (wprui.exe) and configure it so it looks like this:

After pressing "Start" it will reboot your machine and then generate a report. The resulting output will be in "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\WPR Files". It will likely be over 100MB in size, so you may wish to use dropbox or similar to upload it.

Spectrum, Dec 18, 2016
  14. A bit silly but I knew why. I turned off superfetch in services. That is why Windows boot slowly, now it runs normally. Thanks everyone!!!

buimanhthang, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows boot slowly after dual boot Ubuntu - Similar Threads - boot slowly dual

2. Dual Boot Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  3. Dual boot Ubuntu

Dual boot Ubuntu: I tried 'Ubuntu' for a while. Later got the drive deleted. [ATTACH] But the Ubuntu Boot Manager is there in the BIOS ? How can I remove that? Dr Abdul Rasheed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dual-boot-ubuntu/8d273b76-c1f2-4f23-9ba6-28a4c96b9141
  4. Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Support
    Dual booting Ubuntu and Windows 10, can't boot into Ubuntu: I've dual booted my computer with Ubuntu, I was able to boot into it for a while until windows updated itself and now it skips over the Linux boot menu. Secure and fast boot are both disabled. I've tried adding Ubuntu onto the Windows boot menu but I can't get that to work...
  5. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  6. Dual boot with Ubuntu gone

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu gone: Suddenly my grub is gone and when I boot my device goes directly to the Windows 10. Can I remove Ubuntu through Windows without concerns or should I need to be careful because grub is still around and probably will brick my PC? Thanks! submitted by /u/Johan144 [link]...
  7. Unable to boot Windows after installing Ubuntu as dual boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to boot Windows after installing Ubuntu as dual boot: Initially my windows was running perfectly. Then i tried to dual boot it with ubuntu. After doing dual boot I'm not able to access windows. I'm getting a screen like this.[IMG]I also tried using grub command but it didn't work!! ***Original title: Dual boot***...
  8. Remove Ubuntu dual-boot

Remove Ubuntu dual-boot: I currently have a Surface Pro 1 with Windows 10 that also has Ubuntu installed on it as well. I would like to remove Ubuntu and restore the default Windows boot manager. Right now, it's currently doing a Windows 10 reset (Remove all files from all drives and clean them),...
  9. Ubuntu Dual Boot

Ubuntu Dual Boot: I am using the non-metro Windows 10 boot loader to manage a dual boot setup (legacy BIOS) with Ubuntu. Generally, everything works fine. However, sometimes when I perform an update in Ubuntu, grub overwrites the Windows MBR. Then I have to use EasyBCD to restore the Windows...
  10. Remove dual boot - Ubuntu

Remove dual boot - Ubuntu: Hi, I am running Widows 10 on a UEFI/EFI/GPT system. I'd like to try and install a Linux OS on another partition. Installing is not a problem my question relates to if I decide to remove Ubuntu, how will I repair my Window's bootloader? I've been doing a lot of reading on...