Windows 10: Windows Brightness issue in Windows 10 1903 battery vs. plugged in.

Discus and support Windows Brightness issue in Windows 10 1903 battery vs. plugged in. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I heard that Windows 1809 had a flaw in it that caused the brightness on battery vs. plugged in to remain the same and they were going to fix it. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by boe_d, Aug 24, 2019.

1. boe_d Win User

Windows Brightness issue in Windows 10 1903 battery vs. plugged in.

I heard that Windows 1809 had a flaw in it that caused the brightness on battery vs. plugged in to remain the same and they were going to fix it. The drivers had nothing to do with it - it was a registry issue in 1809.

I just did a fresh install of 1903 on a completely formatted laptop and the issue is still there. On older installs of Windows 10 it works fine. Under power settings there is only the option to set when the monitor turns off on battery vs. plugged in - no brightness settings.

Here is a similar discussion on 1809 - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us.../2a1689ae-5625-4679-9ab7-3f754cb8111b?page=18

Here is another article that confirms 1903 has this flaw again - https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/th...ightness-from-power-options-in-windows.16589/

:)

boe_d, Aug 24, 2019

2. Laptop goes brighter when on battery, dim when plugged in

My dads laptop has been having this issue for a bit he says. He was having an error on boot that had an issue with the battery. And his battery couldnt hold a charge so i had him replace it. Thats all gone, but the dimming issue when plugged in is still there. I adjusted the brightness in ATI catalyst control panel but that just changed the white balance more than anything. I cant find a brightness setting in Win XP like I can in windows 7. Suggestions?

Hybrid_theory, Aug 24, 2019
  3. Mala_S Win User
    1903 - Broke On Battery Brightness Adjustment!

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In 1903, the display brightness behavior is modified. If a person adjusts their display brightness, that brightness will now be remembered as their preferred brightness whether they are on battery or connected to a charger. This new behavior
    results in a more consistent and battery friendly experience. This does not affect battery saver mode settings; if a person has opted into lowering the screen brightness in battery saver mode, their display will still dim when the battery is below the threshold
    selected.

Meanwhile, you may try with the steps listed below and see if it works:

Method 1

I would suggest you to update display drivers from the Device Manager. To do that:

• Right click on the Start menu and click on
      Device Manager.
    • Narrow down to Display adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the driver and select
      Update driver.

Here’s an article for your reference: Update drivers in Windows 10

If that doesn’t help, try method 2.

Method 2

Let’s try with the registry settings and see if it helps. To do that,

• Press Windows + R keys and type
      regedit.exe
      in the text box to start Registry Editor.
    • Narrow down to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 /0000
    • Double-click on the item of FeatureTestControl, set the
      hexadecimal value to fb20, and click OK.
    • Restart your machine.

Disclaimer: Normally, software programs make registry changes automatically. You should not make unnecessary changes to the registry. Changing registry files incorrectly can cause Windows to stop working or make
    Windows report the wrong information. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

However, if the issue persists, I suggest you to post a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub, so that our Developer team can have a look
    into it and include that in the future updates.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Aug 24, 2019
  4. Windows Brightness issue in Windows 10 1903 battery vs. plugged in.

Brightness issues

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with Brightness settings after upgrading to Windows 10 in the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

There is a possibility that this issue might have occurred due to incompatible or corrupt display drivers or the brightness settings are not correct in the system.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

To check for the brightness settings, please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows + C” keys on the keyboard.

• In the search box, type
      Power Options.

• Click on Power options, and under any plan, click
      Change plan settings.

• Click Change advanced power settings.

• In the list, expand Display, and then expand
      Enable adaptive brightness.

• To turn adaptive brightness on or off when your computer is running on battery power, click
      On battery, and then, in the list, click On or
      Off.

• To turn adaptive brightness on or off when your computer is plugged into an outlet, click
      Plugged in, and then, in the list, click On or
      Off.

• Click Apply. Click
      OK.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

Step 1:
    Update the Display driver.

Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

• Press Windows key + X when you are at desktop.

• Select Device Manager.

• Expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display driver and click
      Update Driver Software.

• Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
    Step 2:

Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

• Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.

• When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Also see: Download and install drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/all-drivers

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Aug 24, 2019
Thema:

Windows Brightness issue in Windows 10 1903 battery vs. plugged in.

1. Windows Brightness issue in Windows 10 1903 battery vs. plugged in. - Similar Threads - Brightness issue 1903

2. How to change Brightness when Plugged in or on Battery – Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to change Brightness when Plugged in or on Battery – Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]If you want to change screen brightness when plugged in or on battery, here is how you can do that. It is quite straightforward to change the brightness of your screen when using Windows 11 or Windows 10. There are essentially three ways to adjust the brightness, and...
  3. HDD cache flushing - on battery vs plugged in

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD cache flushing - on battery vs plugged in: Hi everybody, my laptop has a primary SSD and a secondary HDD. After trying all possible drivers, the best behaving one is fine when my PC is plugged in but on battery the bad HDD spindown behaviour comes back. Hence, I am trying to find at least all of the Windows 10...
  4. Intel Battery Management Device vs Plugged-in Not Charging

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Intel Battery Management Device vs Plugged-in Not Charging: Does anyone face this issue before? I am not sure when this was happening but after 1909 and suddenly my W10 Home x64 tablet only charges when its power off. There is no Microsoft Compliance Battery bla..bla...bla.. Can anyone help? submitted by /u/d4v1dv00 [link]...
  5. Windows 10 on battery vs plugged-in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 on battery vs plugged-in: Hi, I'm running a Dell laptop with a clean install of windows 10, so no Dell custom settings or whatsoever. When on battery, my laptop runs fine, no performance issues, and when doing nothing the CPU drops its frequencies down to 0.80GHz, as it is supposed to do. When...
  6. How to change Screen Brightness Battery/Plugged in

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change Screen Brightness Battery/Plugged in: I'm trying to adjust the screen brightness so that the screen dims when on battery power. The options do not seem to exist. I want the screen brightness to be 100% when plugged in and 33% when on battery....
  7. Laptop display issues since Windows 10 1903 update - can't adjust brightness on battery power

Laptop display issues since Windows 10 1903 update - can't adjust brightness on battery power: Hi I've recently gone through the 1903 update, and found that although most things are as they were or can be tweaked back to how they were, I now have an issue with display brightness on my Toshiba laptop When I initially switch on in the morning, be it using battery...
  8. Unable to set brightness level for Plugged in and on battery

Unable to set brightness level for Plugged in and on battery: I am using a laptop and I would like to set different screen brightness levels for ac and battery power. I used to be able to do this in the power options but after some version I don't remember, it was removed. However, I was not unhappy with this change because windows...
  9. 1903 - Broke On Battery Brightness Adjustment!

1903 - Broke On Battery Brightness Adjustment!: Got 1903 installed and now missing both of those sliders https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/69670d1458089843-adjust-screen-brightness-windows-10-a-adust_plan_brightness-2.png I can still adjust brightness for Plugged In mode in the notifications menu and...
  10. Battery vs Plugged In

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery vs Plugged In: I keep getting Plugged In or On battery warnings on my screen, even though the laptop is plugged in, and there does not seem to be any way of getting it to stop, it just seems to come on randomly, an idea how to stop this...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 fix no difference brightness level when battery and plugged in

2. windows 10 dim brightness when on battery

3. screen brightness wont automatically change from battery to plugged in win 10

4. different screen brightness when plugged in,
  5. different brightness setting missing for plugged in and on battery,
  6. brightness dim on battery windows 10,
  7. windows 10 brightness plugged in,
  8. Fix registry Battery Brightness Adjustment Windows 1809,
  9. configure brightness behavior on battery or UC Windows 10 1903,
  10. different brightness when power plugged,
  11. set different screen brightness battery vs plugged in & win10 & 1909,
  12. pc is brighter on battary than plugged in?,
  13. windoes 10 brightnes changes when battery pluggged in,
  14. adjust screen brightness for plugged in and on battery on windows 10 1903,
  15. windows 10 1909 computer does not brighten when plugged in