Windows 10: windows defender FALSE VIRUS RESULTS!

Discus and support windows defender FALSE VIRUS RESULTS! in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Connected external hdd scanned with wf, had a lot of viruses so I decided to wipe the entire drive, now that its fully wiped wf still says there are... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by izou1838, Aug 14, 2019.

1. izou1838 Win User

windows defender FALSE VIRUS RESULTS!

Connected external hdd scanned with wf, had a lot of viruses so I decided to wipe the entire drive, now that its fully wiped wf still says there are viruses on a none existing drive. How do I get rid of that message?

I unplugged the drive and restated the pc and the current threats message still there!!!!

stupid wf doesn't know how to detect when a drive was fully wiped?

:)

izou1838, Aug 14, 2019
  2. MicDal22 Win User

Windows Defender False alarm

I am getting many false alarms from Windows Defender.

When I follow up and look for details of the alarm/virus, there is nothing listed. .... so what is it picking up??

Haven't had the time to investigate fully. I havent changed any of its default settings since it installed with Win 10.

Windows Defender might be a half baked app from Microsoft??.

MicDal22, Aug 14, 2019
  3. Try3 Win User
    Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

4. Snixtor Win User

False positive for desktop shortcut scanner.lnk

The 1.239.488.0 virus / spyware definition update that rolled out about 24 hours ago appears to be producing a false positive for any shortcut placed on the desktop called "Scanner.lnk". I can consistently replicate a false positive for Trojan:Win32/FakeSysdef
    with the following steps.

• Create a shortcut to an exe file.
    • Place the shortcut on the desktop.
    • Name the shortcut "Scanner".
    • Run "Quick Scan".
    I don't get the same result by directly scanning the file, nor by uploading the file to www.virustotal.com, so it would appear this is as a result of a heuristic rather than a file content analysis. I also don't get the same result with a shortcut that links
    to a website.

Can anyone else replicate? How can we go about getting the Windows Defender team to reconsider this heuristic? It's a bit heavy-handed.

Snixtor, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

1. windows defender FALSE VIRUS RESULTS! - Similar Threads - defender FALSE VIRUS

2. Defender FullScanRequired = False

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender FullScanRequired = False: When I check the defender setting on my system using the powershell command Get-MpComputerStatus I see that the following settings for full scan. I haven't been able to find much info on why it shows my FullScanRequired = False and how to change it. I even tried...
  3. Defender FullScanRequired = False

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender FullScanRequired = False: When I check the defender setting on my system using the powershell command Get-MpComputerStatus I see that the following settings for full scan. I haven't been able to find much info on why it shows my FullScanRequired = False and how to change it. I even tried...
  4. False Windows Defender Warnings??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    False Windows Defender Warnings??: I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right subject area, but....Running Win11 Home 22H2 22621.755. After running 2 updates today, KB5018341 and then KB5018496 and both showing successful installs, a few minutes after restart, I got an email from *** Email address is...
  5. False positive in Defender?

False positive in Defender?: Defender has just identified an alleged Script/Wacatc.B1Ml trojan in a zip file that has been on my system for many years. It didn't object to the unzipped version, a vbs file. I don't know where the zip file has been put, to send a sample and I can't remember how to send...
  6. Windows Defender False alarm

Windows Defender False alarm: C:\Program Files\Sandboxie-Plus\Sandboxie-Plus-Installer.exe This is Windows Defender False alarm. Please remove from alarms.Releases · sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie · GitHub...
  7. Windows Defender Offline Results - "Abandoned" virus status meaning

Windows Defender Offline Results - "Abandoned" virus status meaning: I had Adware:JS/InjectorAd.A on my computer. I used Windows Defender Offline to remove it. There were multiple adwares on my laptop as it kept regenerating. 3 of the adwares say removed. But of the last 2, one says "Abandoned" and the other says "Quarantined." Does this...
  8. Windows virus protection is false.

Windows virus protection is false.: I was trying to install mupen64 (a nintendo 64 emulator that basically everyone uses) and it thinks it's a virus for no reason. how do I bypass the windows defender blocking it for no reason? seriously I just wanna use a N64 emulator....
  9. Windows Defender False Positives

Windows Defender False Positives: I received an alarming message from WD which says all antivirus providers are disabled, which I think was a false positives. So I went on a check. And the result: [ATTACH] Protection is on, license is active and my firewall is on too. Can you tell why that message is...
  10. Windows Defender False Icon

Windows Defender False Icon: My Windows Defender Security Center indicates "Actions Recommended" but all sections are green ticked with no actions needed. Any answers to this? Help appreciated....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender falsly identiifes a virus