Windows 10: Windows Defender is missing, please help.

Discus and support Windows Defender is missing, please help. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hiya guys. In a nutshell my windows defender is missing. I first noticed the issue when i tried to click on the open security control center option... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by SageofRage, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Windows Defender is missing, please help.

Hiya guys.

In a nutshell my windows defender is missing. I first noticed the issue when i tried to click on the open security control center option (where you would manage exceptions to the antivirus for example) in the update & security tab in the settings, and nothing happened. If i click on the windef icon on the taskbar same result, it dosent react, no hung processes or nothing. If i try to open it in safe mode it gets wierder: it closes the settings window as soon as i try to click on the update & security tab.

In the policy editor (gpedit.msc) i dont even have a windef folder just windef antivirus and windef smartscreen and one more which i cant recall (in work atm).

I tried to run the sfc scan which stops at 50% in both normal and safe modes. It says it cannot perform the requested operation.

I tried the DISM scan/restore thing i get an error message saying that the specified buffer contains ill formed data.

Antivirus says everythings a-okay.

Im at about my wits end here, any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards
    Sage

PS: First time poster, hope i did everything correctly .

:)

SageofRage, Jul 10, 2017

2. my phone is missing, Please help.

Thanks! Windows Defender is missing, please help. :)

mariannebasa, Jul 10, 2017
  3. my phone is missing, Please help.

Thanks! Windows Defender is missing, please help. :)

mariannebasa, Jul 10, 2017
  4. prikker Win User

Windows Defender is missing, please help.

prikker, Jul 10, 2017
  5. essenbe Win User
    Welcome to tenforums. When you say Anti Virus says everything is OK, I assume you have a third party Anti Virus. If that is the case, third party anti virus's will disable Defender.

essenbe, Jul 10, 2017
  6. No i dont have any third party antivirus.
    Im talking about the windows defender antivirus.

SageofRage, Jul 10, 2017
  7. SageofRage, Jul 10, 2017
  8. torre Win User

torre, Jul 10, 2017
  9. dencal Win User
    Left click on Winkey to reveal apps.
    Scroll down to "Windows Accessories".....scroll down to the bottom one.....is it "Windows Defender Security Centre"?
    If it is there click on it...

dencal, Jul 10, 2017
  10. Nope. Unfortunately its not there neither.

SageofRage, Jul 11, 2017
  11. Shameful, i know, but i neglected to create one...

SageofRage, Jul 11, 2017
  12. Eagle51 Win User
    Long shot, but check Services to see if Windows Defender Antivirus Service and Windows Defender Security Center Service are running and set to Automatic.

Eagle51, Jul 11, 2017
  13. Windows Defender is missing, please help.

Okay so not a proper solution but for anyone struggling with this in the future:
    What Microsoft IT says that if the sfc and the DISM both fails than the system files are already corrupted and the easiest fix for it to perform an Upgrade Install, which will keep all personal files and requires no product key or activation.

Just pop in your WIN10 ISO and select upgrade install.

SageofRage, Jul 11, 2017
  14. These are my services
    Windows Defender is missing, please help. [​IMG]

SageofRage, Jul 11, 2017
  15. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey SageofRage,
    Since your considering an Upgrade Install, you might want to try FixWin for Win10. It's got an option under it's System Tools to repair/reset Windows Defender. I've never used it, but don't think it would hurt anything at this point *Smile

FixWin for Windows 10: Repair problems and issues in a click

Eagle51, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender is missing, please help. - Similar Threads - Defender missing please

2. MISSING WINDOWS DEFENDER! UNABLE TO REINSTALL, RESET OR UPDATE!! PLEASE HELP!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MISSING WINDOWS DEFENDER! UNABLE TO REINSTALL, RESET OR UPDATE!! PLEASE HELP!!!: Hi guys! Please I need help with my Windows Defender. I can't find it on my Windows 10 Pro anymore, it has vanished completely! I've tried EVERY possible means to reinstall it but it just wouldn't. I need your help guys. Thanks a lot. PS: The Security providers are all...
  3. MISSING WINDOWS DEFENDER! UNABLE TO REINSTALL, RESET OR UPDATE!! PLEASE HELP!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MISSING WINDOWS DEFENDER! UNABLE TO REINSTALL, RESET OR UPDATE!! PLEASE HELP!!!: Hi guys! Please I need help with my Windows Defender. I can't find it on my Windows 10 Pro anymore, it has vanished completely! I've tried EVERY possible means to reinstall it but it just wouldn't. I need your help guys. Thanks a lot. PS: The Security providers are all...
  4. MISSING WINDOWS DEFENDER! UNABLE TO REINSTALL, RESET OR UPDATE!! PLEASE HELP!!!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Windows Defender warning... Please help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender warning... Please help!: Hello;I am having an issue with Windows Defender on Windows 11.I have tried rescanning and there are no listed drivers. I recently updated to the "New Outlook" and also downloaded the Apple Music app. These are the only changes I have made. I checked online and it is not...
  6. Windows Defender warning... Please help!

Windows Defender warning... Please help!: Hello;I am having an issue with Windows Defender on Windows 11.I have tried rescanning and there are no listed drivers. I recently updated to the "New Outlook" and also downloaded the Apple Music app. These are the only changes I have made. I checked online and it is not...
  7. Help me please? Windows is missing a file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help me please? Windows is missing a file?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/YumeToshi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/madlp9/help_me_please_windows_is_missing_a_file/
  8. Windows 10 - not opening Windows Defender - please help

Windows 10 - not opening Windows Defender - please help: [ATTACH] This is showing up. I have tried a few different solutions that have been suggested on the net, but nothing seems to work... please suggestions. https://preview.redd.it/y2yq9q5cxt161.png?width=1920&format=png&auto=webp&s=eee01bbbefc82a40b38e1a6cbbd2e79ca61b4e16...
  9. Windows Apps Missing!! Help Please.

Windows Apps Missing!! Help Please.: So today I bought a new laptop, it was fine at first, all the apps were there. I decided to reset it, I may have accidentally turned it off while resetting, when I turned it back on it was on the setup. From then on there were no windows apps like microsoft store or mail....
  10. Missing thumbnails-PLEASE HELP

Missing thumbnails-PLEASE HELP: I need HELP. I have windows 10. I am missing thumbnails ONLY for 4k 24fps video clips. 4k 60fps video clips are fine. All my photo thumbnails are fine. Both 4k 60fps and 24fps are mp4 files. I have tried everything. Tried clicking the options and to "show all thumbnails."...