Windows 10: Windows Defender is showing "detected" threats; how do I know if it removed them

Discus and support Windows Defender is showing "detected" threats; how do I know if it removed them in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; My Windows Defender is providing a list of "threats detected," but I don't see any indication as to whether it has "removed" or "quarantined" them.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by NathanSalant, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Windows Defender is showing "detected" threats; how do I know if it removed them

My Windows Defender is providing a list of "threats detected," but I don't see any indication as to whether it has "removed" or "quarantined" them. How do I know whether I am safe?

:)

NathanSalant, Aug 19, 2019
  2. Try3 Win User

Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

3. Windows Defender - File Removed

Windows defender has removed file from my PC as being a medium level threat, I know this file and I also know that windows detects it a false positive.

I want Windows defender to return the file to where it was removed from, but am unable to get it to do this.

I go into defender and its not listed under Quarantined Items.

but is listed under all detected Items. How can I find this file and return it to where it should be?

Peter

PeterByers010201, Aug 19, 2019
  4. Windows Defender is showing "detected" threats; how do I know if it removed them

Windows Defender Doesnt Remove threats.

Can you give us what is/was the fully qualified name and
    path
    to the file deemed to be a virus/trojan ?

It will be a lot easier to help you remove it once we know what it is and
    where its saved into, as it appears under quarantine or on the list of detected items

`~`

I suggest you to use Windows Defender Offline in Safe mode and remove the virus and check if the issue is resolved.

Windows Defender Offline is a stand-alone tool that comes preloaded with the latest antimalware updates. It works outside of Windows, which means it can catch and clean infections that hide themselves when Windows is running.

• Go to another PC that isn’t infected and download Windows Defender Offline.

• Insert a blank USB flash drive or CD into the PC, and then run the Windows Defender Offline file that you just downloaded.

• You will be prompted to install Windows Defender Offline to the blank USB flash drive or CD.

• After you’ve installed Windows Defender Offline onto the USB flash drive or CD, insert it into your infected PC and
      restart in
      Safe Mode
      . You will be prompted to start the Windows Defender Offline tool.

The following articles may help if you're having trouble getting the tool to work:

After you've used Windows Defender Offline, you should make sure your security software is up to date and run a full scan:

Even if we've already detected and removed this particular threat, running a full scan might find other malware that is hiding on your PC.

Please post to us if the virus issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

-=-

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Aug 19, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender is showing "detected" threats; how do I know if it removed them

1. Windows Defender is showing "detected" threats; how do I know if it removed them - Similar Threads - Defender showing detected

2. How do I remove a PUA detected by Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I remove a PUA detected by Windows Defender?: Windows Defender identified a PUA but does not offer me a way to either remove or quarantine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-a-pua-detected-by-windows-defender/dee80648-5ef9-413e-a32d-1be40828d594
  3. How do I remove a PUA detected by Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I remove a PUA detected by Windows Defender?: Windows Defender identified a PUA but does not offer me a way to either remove or quarantine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-remove-a-pua-detected-by-windows-defender/dee80648-5ef9-413e-a32d-1be40828d594
  4. How do i remove these "threats"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i remove these "threats"?: I used tron script to check for malware and viruses and i guess it removed some. Now it left 8 "threats" in my microsoft windows security antivirus and i can't remove them.The tutorial that I followed to use tron...
  5. Windows Defender detects potential threats bit won't show them in the History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender detects potential threats bit won't show them in the History: when running a scan it comes up saying there are potential threats but when I check the history after the scan nothing shows in the quarantined or removed folders yet all my updates and everything a showing as up to date?? [Original Title: windows defender]...
  6. Windows Defender finding threats but cant remove them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender finding threats but cant remove them: Hey everyone, i noticed that my pc was acting up so I did a bit of digging, and saw that windows defender saw a few threats, I then do a scan, try to take actions, whatever, but to no avail. Then I tried other antiviruses, malwarebytes, emsisoft, ESET, MSERT, But again,...
  7. Detecting threats but not removing

Detecting threats but not removing: Hello. For last couple weeks, Windows defender in my Windows 10 pc has been running constantly consuming significant CPU> 50%, Memory and power. When I ran fill scan it found 300+ threats but when i start action to remove it doesn't do anything, just keep running. When I...
  8. How do I remove the threat detection history from windows defender GUI.

How do I remove the threat detection history from windows defender GUI.: Is there a secret to removing the threat detection history from windows defender GUI. I understand that the threats detection history items that reside there wont do me any harm. In theory. However, there are many items in my history view. It makes it difficult to sort...
  9. Threat Detection in Windows Defender Removed or Restored ?

Threat Detection in Windows Defender Removed or Restored ?: My windows virus and threat protection software picked up on this: SoftwareBundler:Win32/Prepscram and said it was "Removed and Restored." I assume that means the threat was quarantined, then removed, then the file it affected was restored. When ı click only option to make...
  10. Windows Defender detected threat but unable to remove

Windows Defender detected threat but unable to remove: Hi community, My windows defender just found a threat in my com: Threat detected: Program:Win32/Wacapew.B!ml Alert Level: Medium Category: Potentially Unwanted Software Details: This program has potentially unwanted behavior Affected items: file:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. option when theat detected in widnow defender

2. virtool:win32/defendertamperingrestore

3. when do severe threats found by windows defender get removed

4. virtool win32 defender tampering restore,
  5. virtool:win32/defendertamperingrestore find by windows security Quarantined or removed ?