Windows 10: Windows Defender no longer in context menu after Windows Update

Discus and support Windows Defender no longer in context menu after Windows Update in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have a Microsoft surface Pro IV, with Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.18362 build 18362. On June 23, Windows Update did a "Feature update to Windows 10,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Harold E1, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Harold E1 Win User

Windows Defender no longer in context menu after Windows Update

I have a Microsoft surface Pro IV, with Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.18362 build 18362. On June 23, Windows Update did a "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1903".

Ever since then, Windows Defender no longer appears in the file context menu.

How come? What can I do to put it back in context menu?

:)

Harold E1, Jun 29, 2019
  2. Brink Win User
    Brink, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Bob#Bob Win User
    Windows Defender Context Menu Error

I am running Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit. My AV program is BitDefender and I have Windows Defender set for periodic scanning. Prior to the April 2018 update to Windows release 1803 I could right-click any item on my PC and do a 'scan with Windows Defender'
    from the context menu that popped up. After the update it no longer works, and I have the same problem on 4 PCs so it isn't a quirk of just one PC. When I right-click a file and try a contextual 'scan with Windows Defender' I now get an error message saying
    'Your IT Administrator has restricted access to some areas of this app and the item you tried to access is not available. Contact IT Helpdesk for more information'. I get the same error message if I go to START>SETTINGS>UPDATE&SECURITY>WINDOWS SECURITY and
    click one of the listed protection areas such as Virus & Threat Protection. Regardless of what the error message says, nothing is actually restricted. If I click OK to the error message in SETTINGS the list of protection areas changes to an array of icons
    for the same list, and these work as they should. I can get then round the lack of context menu action by doing a custom scan of any particular folder. For this purpose I have created a desktop folder called CHECKTHIS and I drop anything that needs checking
    in to it, followed by a custom scan of the folder. But it is very irritating and it takes time. Everything worked before the latest update and now it throws up the error. I am using Home Edition and I don't have an IT Administrator or an IT Helpdesk. Does
    anyone know what is going on please? I can't be the only person with this problem.

Bob#Bob, Jun 29, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

SEtting up automatic updates for windows defender on windows 8

I have found this on the internet en have set up a task for automatic definitions update for Windows Defender but a window pops up when this starts to run.
    Is there a way to set this without any window popping up so that it just runs in the background?

Now I'm using
    "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate -MMPC

I'm currrently using it as described here:
    https://forum.raymond.cc/threads/let-your-windows-8-defender-update-itself-automatically.34359/

P4-630, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows Defender no longer in context menu after Windows Update - Similar Threads - Defender longer context

2. Context Menu is no longer translucent

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Context Menu is no longer translucent: I suddenly noticed that my right click context menu is no longer translucent. while taskbar, notifications and edge are working totally fine. I reinstalled my graphics driver but it didnt solve the issue. I am using latest insider build in Canary channel 25314....
  3. Context Menu is no longer translucent

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Context Menu is no longer translucent: I suddenly noticed that my right click context menu is no longer translucent. while taskbar, notifications and edge are working totally fine. I reinstalled my graphics driver but it didnt solve the issue. I am using latest insider build in Canary channel 25314....
  4. How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu?: How to get the "Scan with Windows Defender” context menu in Windows Explorer?Win 10 Home 64 bit, new high-specs PC; I am reluctant to make registry changes....
  5. Can't scan with Windows Defender context menu

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't scan with Windows Defender context menu: in 1803, i can't scan with context menu. it says admin limited access to some areas of the app. that's on the admin account. any idea how to fix? (ps.. using 3rd party av.. though why should that matter? worked in 1709) 109765
  6. Windows 10 context menu option to "Scan with Windows Defender"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 context menu option to "Scan with Windows Defender": All Can someone tell me if the option above has vanished as a result of the Windows Update of 10 10 2017? I no longer see this option. How can I re-enable it? Thanks . 95206
  7. Windows 10 context menu bug after a recent update

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 context menu bug after a recent update: I'm running Windows 10 Pro, version 1607, OS Build 14393.693. One of the recent updates messed the right click menu on Windows Explorer and Skype as you can see from the attached screenshots. It starts with all items blackened, and appear only when I go over them with the...
  8. Add Windows Defender Firewall context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Windows Defender Firewall context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Windows Defender Firewall context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Windows Defender Firewall context menu in Windows 10 [img] Information Starting with Windows 10 build 16193, Windows Firewall has been renamed to Windows Defender Firewall....
  9. Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu - Add in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Scan with Windows Defender Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove "Scan with Windows Defender" Context Menu in Windows 10 Windows Defender helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other...
  10. Add Windows Defender Antivirus context menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add Windows Defender Antivirus context menu in Windows 10: How to: Add Windows Defender Antivirus context menu in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Windows Defender Antivirus context menu in Windows 10 Windows Defender Antivirus helps protect your PC against malware (malicious software) like viruses, spyware, and other...