Windows 10: Windows Defender PUA Protection

Discus and support Windows Defender PUA Protection in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Some Reason can't get our 2nd Desktop PC to keep on with Windows Defender Pua Protection, Avast was removed with Wise Uninstaller, rebooted system,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AMDMan2016, Oct 5, 2019.

1. Windows Defender PUA Protection

Some Reason can't get our 2nd Desktop PC to keep on with Windows Defender Pua Protection, Avast was removed with Wise Uninstaller, rebooted system, used Avast clear in safe mode as additional step, then ran ConfigureDefenderx64 to configure Defender, made sure enabled Pua protection, then restarted, and when i opened that little app today

Showed Pua Protection disabled still

Any advice? should i do a repair install on that system? and work my way around the other household systems as they all previously ran Avast, and was uninstalled in similar fashion on each one recently

Desktop 1 a repair Install might be hard as I got Programs on D Drive, as well as a few on C:\ Drive that is SSD (1 game), Windows, that is all on the SSD, and a few small programs

D: has Steam games, Firestorm 3rd party viewer for Secondlife, User library folders, and such

Last time I attempted to restore Macrium system image, some how lost Pro, and ended up back with Home, I do have images saved, but nothing before Avast was reinstalled on advice from another online friend. Or should I just wait til 1909 is released and do a clean install

:)

AMDMan2016, Oct 5, 2019
  2. Jsssssssss, Oct 5, 2019
  3. dencal Win User
    Enable or Disable Windows Defender PUA Protection in Windows 10  

Hi Shawn
    For some reason Powershell suggestion in this tut does not work on my computer, though your REG File does.
    This in on Build 1703....see attachments.

Windows Defender PUA Protection [​IMG]

Windows Defender PUA Protection [​IMG]

dencal, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Rob Koch Win User

Windows Defender PUA Protection

Why AdWare protection , PUA ,and PUP protection are not enabled by default in windows defender ?

It isn't enabled because the PUA protection in Windows Defender wasn't designed with consumer users in mind, it was instead designed for businesses which require this for compliance or other high security reasons.

Block Potentially Unwanted Applications with Windows
    Defender AV - Microsoft Docs

If you read the title above carefully, you'll notice that it states "Block Potentially Unwanted Applications". This is because the MS PUA protection provides no granular control over these like antimalware apps such as MBAM, instead it can only block them.

The reason for this is that it was designed for businesses which don't want any such PUA apps installed on their machines and can so be used to lock these down. This means that there's no way provided to allow that single coupon or advertising app that
    some consumers might want, so the support issues this would create for Microsoft with consumers aren't worth their time, thus it's not easily possible for consumers to enable PUA protection.

Remember that any program that is truly acting as malware is already treated by Windows Defender as such, while as Microsoft clearly states about PUAs in their article:

"These applications are not considered viruses, malware, or other types of threats, but might perform actions on endpoints that adversely affect their performance or use. PUA can also refer to applications that are considered to have a poor reputation."

So Microsoft doesn't make it easy for consumers to enable PUA protection, since they never intended it to be used by them in the first place.

In fact, in the years since 2005/6 that I've been using the Microsoft security products, I've had only a single item identified by Malwarebytes Antimalware as a PUP and this was actually an add-on included by Dell on a laptop that wasn't really of any concern
    at all. Typically the only people whom ever receive PUPs are those who either install 3rd-party (usually free) programs or use their computers in risky ways, a careful person will almost never experience one of these during years of computer use.

Rob

Rob Koch, Oct 5, 2019
Thema:

Windows Defender PUA Protection

1. Windows Defender PUA Protection - Similar Threads - Defender PUA Protection

2. PUA not deleted or quarantined by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PUA not deleted or quarantined by Windows Defender: Windows Defender scan has picked up three different PUA. I use start actions but it is still on my laptop OS windows 10 Pro and active https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pua-not-deleted-or-quarantined-by-windows-defender/f6d0cb27-400c-4e9e-81bd-1d5b955837d0
  3. PUA not deleted or quarantined by Windows Defender

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PUA not deleted or quarantined by Windows Defender: Windows Defender scan has picked up three different PUA. I use start actions but it is still on my laptop OS windows 10 Pro and active https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pua-not-deleted-or-quarantined-by-windows-defender/f6d0cb27-400c-4e9e-81bd-1d5b955837d0
  4. Troubleshoot Defender, PUA help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubleshoot Defender, PUA help: I have a thread over HERE on some help with some kernel errors/BSODs and the kind gentleman or lady helping me asked me to request some troubleshooting with Windows Defender and to ask for @Ramesh Srinivasan. Ramesh SrinivasanUnfortunately, I dont know what kind of help i...
  5. Troubleshoot Defender, PUA help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshoot Defender, PUA help: I have a thread over HERE on some help with some kernel errors/BSODs and the kind gentleman helping me asked me to request some troubleshooting with Windows Defender and to ask for @Ramesh Srinivasan.Unfortunately, I dont know what kind of help i need: Anyone available to...
  6. Windows defender found PUA

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows defender found PUA: A weird question but anyway I have F-secure installed. I know that Windows Defender does not work with F-secure. But I did a full scan of my computer with Windows Defender because I got a blue screen earlier and wanted to do a scan with another program too just in...
  7. Windows Defender blocking PUA?

Windows Defender blocking PUA?: Few questions about blocking PUA in Windows Defender. I enabled the prevention or blocking of PUAs and would like to ask how intrusive the notifications are? Are there a lot of false positives? I only download and install apps which I really need, no Java installed and...
  8. Windows Defender PUA/PUP protection is too picky

Windows Defender PUA/PUP protection is too picky: Today WD deleted Wagnard's DDU saying it was a non safe application. I had to run the GUI interface to be able to recover it from quarantine. How could inform MS that this is a false positive? 106924
  9. Windows Defender PUA feature?

Windows Defender PUA feature?: WD has this new feature called PUA. Is this for domain environments or can this be done on a standalone Win10 Enterprise? Or is this needed on a standalone system? I know it has to be enabled in the registry. If enabled, how will this effect the use of a machine? Will...
  10. Enable or Disable Windows Defender PUA Protection in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Windows Defender PUA Protection in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Windows Defender PUA Protection in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Windows Defender PUA Protection in Windows 10 The Potentially Unwanted Applications (PUA) protection feature in Windows Defender Antivirus can identify and block PUAs from...