Windows 10: windows defender registry key change

Discus and support windows defender registry key change in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; hi, my windows denfender services become disable , not sure why. I already take ownership of registry key of... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Vince_2020, Jan 3, 2020.

1. windows defender registry key change

hi, my windows denfender services become disable , not sure why. I already take ownership of registry key of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend then change start key from 4 to 2, it still unable to change the key?

any idea?

:)

Vince_2020, Jan 3, 2020

2. Windows defender

Hello Lardie,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

From the description provided, I understand that the status of the windows defender is disabled after configuring a third party antivirus software.

Please be informed that if you do install a third-party tool, Windows Defender will realize it and automatically disable itself by default.

In order to turn the Windows Defender feature back on, follow the below suggested methods and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Method 1

The trick is to change the real time protection from OFF to ON. Follow the below steps.

• Launch Control Panel from the Start Menu.
    • Choose the Action Center under System and Security option.
    • Locate the notification which says that Windows defender is turned off below the
      Security label. Hit the Turn on now tab to active the Windows Defender again.
    Method 2

Enable the feature using Power shell command lines. Follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key and type Powershell
      in search, right click on it and Open as administrator .

• Copy and paste the following command in Power shell and hit enter:

Set-MpPreference -DisableRealtimeMonitoring $false
    Reference: Windows Defender Overview

Method 3

Enable the feature using Registry editor. follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key and type regedit
      in search, right click on it and Open as administrator .
    • Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender

• Change the permissions of the key (take ownership and give your account write permissions) and change the value DisableAntiSpyware from
      1 to 0.
    Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore,
    make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following
    article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jan 3, 2020
  3. Frogger Win User
    Modded Registry. Want Old Back....

did you try this

To restore the registry
    Open Registry Editor.
    Click Options, and then click Print to print these instructions. (If you are using the Help and Support Center, click Print above the topic area.) They will not be available after you shut down your computer in step 2.
    Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
    In the list, click Restart, and then click OK.
    When you see the message Please select the operating system to start, press F8.
    Use the arrow keys to highlight Last Known Good Configuration, and then press ENTER.
    NUM LOCK must be off before the arrow keys on the numeric keypad will function.

Use the arrow keys to highlight an operating system, and then press ENTER.
    Caution

Incorrectly editing the registry may severely damage your system. Before making changes to the registry, you should back up any valued data on your computer.
    Notes

To open Registry Editor, click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    Choosing Last Known Good Configuration provides a way to recover from problems such as a newly added driver that may be incorrect for your hardware. It does not solve problems caused by corrupted or missing drivers or files.
    When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, Windows restores information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet only. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.

Frogger, Jan 3, 2020
  4. CarolLJ Win User

windows defender registry key change

Windows Defender Registry Keys

Steve,

If you disabled it by changing Start from 2 to 4, you can just reverse it back from 4 to 2.

I have it disabled in this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender

Check out this tutorial. There are registry key downloads for both on and off:

Turn On or Off Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10

CarolLJ, Jan 3, 2020
Thema:

windows defender registry key change

1. windows defender registry key change - Similar Threads - defender registry key

2. Windows 10 keeps changing registry key on reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 keeps changing registry key on reboot: Every time I restart Windows 10 the following registry key is changed without my permission[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr.exe]"Debugger"="C:\\Program Files\\ClassicTaskmgr\\tm.exe"what do I need to do to...
  3. Windows 10 keeps changing registry key on reboot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 keeps changing registry key on reboot: Every time I restart Windows 10 the following registry key is changed without my permission[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr.exe]"Debugger"="C:\\Program Files\\ClassicTaskmgr\\tm.exe"what do I need to do to...
  4. Windows 10 keeps changing registry key on reboot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 keeps changing registry key on reboot: Every time I restart Windows 10 the following registry key is changed without my permission[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr.exe] "Debugger"="C:\\Program Files\\ClassicTaskmgr\\tm.exe"what do I need to do to...
  5. Windows 10 keeps changing registry key on reboot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 keeps changing registry key on reboot: Every time I restart Windows 10 the following registry key is changed without my permission[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\taskmgr.exe] "Debugger"="C:\\Program Files\\ClassicTaskmgr\\tm.exe"what do I need to do to...
  6. Registry keys registry keys

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry keys registry keys: Where can I customize the file type/extension icon? John 137822
  7. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change registry value in dynamically created registry key: Hello, I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it seems the best way to do this is by changing a registry value that controls whether the mic is enabled or disabled. I've...
  8. Change Registry-Key with Powershell

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Registry-Key with Powershell: Hi Forum I have a Problem with changing Registry-Keys with PowerShell. I use the following entry: $path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers \StorageOnArrival" Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name Default -Value...
  9. Change Registry-Key with Powershell

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Change Registry-Key with Powershell: Hi Forum I have a Problem with changing Registry-Keys with PowerShell. I use the following entry: $path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\UserChosenExecuteHandlers \StorageOnArrival" Set-ItemProperty -Path $path -Name Default -Value...
  10. Windows Defender Getting Turned Off with Registry Key Setting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Getting Turned Off with Registry Key Setting: On a Windows 8.1 PC, something keeps setting the registry key'Disable AntiSpyware' to on/1. I've tried deleting that entry, and changing it back to zero, which allows me to start Defender up again. But a few minutes later, something either adds that registry key back in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why windows defender registry value keeps changing to 1