Windows 10: Windows Defender stopped working

Discus and support Windows Defender stopped working in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I click on Windows Defender icon, I get a message that Windows Defender is not installed on the PC.Your suggestions?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KamalAhuja, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Windows Defender stopped working

When I click on Windows Defender icon, I get a message that Windows Defender is not installed on the PC.Your suggestions?

:)

KamalAhuja, Feb 15, 2020

2. Windows 10 defender stops my work

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

If Windows Defender is stopping you for performing some task and it is important for you then you may disable Windows Defender for some time and then enable it after the completion of the task.

In order to turn off Windows defender you need to perform the steps provided below and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key or click on Start.
    • Type Windows Defender in the search box.
    • Click on Windows Defender Settings.
    • Toggle the "Real-time protection" option to Off. This will disable Windows Defender
      in Windows 10.
    • Now try to convert a pdf to a ppt and see the difference.

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Feb 15, 2020
  3. Windows Defender stops scanning

You can follow these steps to disable Windows Defender from Windows 10:

• Type services in the Cortana search field, then click
      Services.
    • Locate then right-click Windows Defender Service.
    • Choose Stop.
    • Restart your computer.

Let us know if you have further queries.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Feb 15, 2020
  4. Le Boule Win User

Windows Defender stopped working

Windows Defender Stopped Working

Any error messages? Can you download other files? Any other security software installed? How long have you been using Defender? Any reason to suspect your computer is compromised by malware?

You may want to scan with the Emsisoft Emergency Kit (a free program): Как обнаружить и удалить угрозы с помощью Emsisoft Emergency Kit | Emsisoft | Security Blog If
    necessary boot into Safe Mode with Networking to download the scanner or use another computer, put the EEK file on a flash drive and insert the flash drive in the infected computer...you can run the scanner from the flash drive. Other scanners that may help
    with this issue are listed in List
    of Malware Removal Tools
    Since Defender is not working you might want to try the Microsoft Safety Scanner...

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

See the Answer of quietman7
    - MVP
    in
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_updating/windowsdefender-wont-turn-on/c502c63f-2ffe-4cfd-8b6b-bdfd086cfae0

Note the following excerpts from his post:

sometimes you may receive a message indicating your system has no protection...click here to turn on Windows Defender. If not, and Defender remains disabled, you will need to manually turn it on.

If Defender is still not running, check to make sure the Windows Defender service
    is started

Sometimes it may take a couple of computer reboots after performing the above steps to ensure Windows Defender is up and running properly.

Also see Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

If you can't get this problem resolved suggest you post back in this thread and provide additional information.

Alternatively - - -

You may prefer to install a third party antimalware program (which should disable Windows Defender).

There are a number of viable free and paid options available – take your pick.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Is Windows Defender The Best For Windows 10?
    Good article but ignore the ads.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/antivirus-partners#AVtabs=win10

Regards…

Top 10 Ways PUPs Sneak Onto Your Computer. And How To Avoid Them. | Emsisoft | Security Blog

Le Boule, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender stopped working

1. Windows Defender stopped working - Similar Threads - Defender stopped working

2. Windows Defender stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender stopped working: Split from this thread. Good day So sorry to bother you when you're off But my Windows Defender simply stopped working today after I restarted the system. I went online to check for a solution and found your solutions here so i'm gonna upload the two files you've asked for...
  3. Windows Defender stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender stopped working: Split from this thread. Good day So sorry to bother you when you're off But my Windows Defender simply stopped working today after I restarted the system. I went online to check for a solution and found your solutions here so i'm gonna upload the two files you've asked for...
  4. Windows Defender Service Stop Working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Service Stop Working: Sense and WdNisSvc services have stopped but when i try to start it this pops up[Original Title: Windows Defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-service-stop-working/f0f9b965-9d1e-4205-936f-755985b1ba57
  5. Windows Defender has stopped working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender has stopped working?: Is anyone else experiencing issues with Windows Defender? I noticed that my Defender had a red cross over it. When I opened up the dashboard, it prompted me to restart the Threat Detection service, but after some waiting, it couldn't restart it. I eventually rebooted my PC...
  6. windows defender stopped working

windows defender stopped working: threat service has stopped. Restart is now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-stopped-working/2f14500e-e59b-4a44-a772-822c1959b51c
  7. Windows Defender Stopped Working

Windows Defender Stopped Working: Dear Microsoft, I'm writing to email to ask for your help regarding my Windows Defender. I recently updated my Window 10 with the latest update, and now all of sudden my Windows Defender Stopped working. I already tried the different method posted else such as activating...
  8. Windows Defender Stop Working

Windows Defender Stop Working: windows defender worked on my system for some months after installing windows 10, but then it stopped now. each time I click on it to help me defend malicious virus, a pop will come up telling me to contact my security administrator to enable the program via group policy. pls...
  9. Windows Defender SmartScreen has stopped working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Defender SmartScreen has stopped working.: Hello there! I have recently upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro and since I have that done, in some programs, when I run them as admin, my laptop starts terribly lag then after a while a note "Windows Defender SmartScreen has stopped working"...
  10. Windows Defender Stopped Working

Windows Defender Stopped Working: My Windows Defender stopped working and I've tried the following with no luck: Can anyone help? 1. Press Windows Key + R 2. Type regedit in the run box. 3. Locate the following path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS DEFENDER\ 4. Right click this file and...