Windows 10: Windows Defender - This app is tuned off by group policy

Discus and support Windows Defender - This app is tuned off by group policy in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi everyone! I'm italian, my english is not that good and I'm new on this forum. My PC was infected by malware but now I think I solve it. The... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Sam91, May 10, 2017.

1. Sam91 Win User

Windows Defender - This app is tuned off by group policy

Hi everyone!
    I'm italian, my english is not that good and I'm new on this forum.
    My PC was infected by malware but now I think I solve it.
    The problem is Windows Defender.
    If I try to open it, came out this message:
    "This app is turned off by group policy - To allow this app to run, contact your security administrator to enable the program via group policy"
    I tried to open Local Group Policy settings but there isn't Windows Defender folder (Local computer policy - Computer configuratio - Administrative templates - Windows components).
    In Services - Windows Defender Services I found:
    "Startup type: Manual" and I can't change it.
    "Service status: Stopped".

Does anyone have any advices?
    Thanks

:)

Sam91, May 10, 2017

2. This app is turned off by group policy.

Hi Ankit,

Thank you for using Windows 10.

We understand your concern.

Kindly let us know:

• Which all apps got installed automatically?
    • Have you recently installed any third party antivirus?
    I would suggest you to disable the antivirus software in your computer if you have any and check.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily
    disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

I would also suggest you to run the Microsoft Safety Scanner which is a free Scanner downloadable security tool that provides on-demand scanning and helps remove viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. It works with
    your existing antivirus software. Refer to the link below:

Safety Scanner - Windows Defender Security Intelligence

Disclaimer: Data or files which are infected by malware might be beyond cleaning and have to be deleted entirely to maintain the integrity of your system, which means there might be a potential
    for data loss.

Feel free to write to us for further help and we’ll try our best to address your concern.

Navneet Anand, May 10, 2017
  3. This app is turned off by group policy.

1. Right click the Windows logo (Start Button)

2. Select 'RUN'

3. Type on the 'RUN' box: regedit then click on Yes

4. go to 'HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender' by:

double click on HKEY LOCAL MACHINE

double click on SOFTWARE

double click on POLICIES

double click on MICROSOFT

select Windows Defender then it will have a value on the right side then delete the value that says: DisableAntispyware

then restart the computer

5. Then left click on the Windows logo (Start Button)

6. Select Settings

7. go to Update & security

8. go to Windows Defender then at the very bottom please click on Use Windows Defender

Congratulations!

I hope your issue is resolved.

ReynoCampos, May 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, my advice is that you first have a look at this:
    Turn On or Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection in Windows 10 Windows 10 Security System Tutorials
    Read through to the end where you will find some useful reg files.

(The Tutorial section here includes many professional quality articles which you are free to browse and search)

If you need more, try the reverse of the following methods.

These are written to tell people how to disable Defender- you wish to enable it, so you must do the opposite.

You may disable Windows Defender in the Windows Registry as well. Basically, it is the same setting that gets written to it when you disable the application in the Group Policy Editor.

• Tap on the Windows-key to open the Start Menu.
    • Type regedit.exe and hit enter.
    • Confirm the UAC prompt to continue.
    • Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
    • If you see the preference DisableAntiSpyware on the right double-click on it and set it to 1 to disable Windows Defender.
    • If the preference does not exist, right-click on Windows Defender and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value, and name it DisableAntiSpyware.
    To restore Windows Defender at a later point in time, delete the key or set its value to 0.

Method 3: Normal disable and Task Scheduler
    If both methods outlined above don't work, you may still have another ace up your sleeve that you can try out.

• Tap on the Windows-key to open the Start Menu.
    • Type taskschd.msc and hit enter to open the Windows Task Scheduler.
    • You may get an UAC prompt that you need to accept.
    • Navigate to Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender.
    • There you find "Windows Defender Scheduled Scan" which you need to double-click on.
    • Switch to the Conditions tab when the window opens.
    • Select "Start the task only if the computer is idle for" and set a large idle time amount there to prevent it from being run on the system.

(See
    How to disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 permanently - gHacks Tech News
    for the full article)

dalchina, May 10, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Defender - This app is tuned off by group policy - Similar Threads - Defender app tuned

2. windows defender turned off by group policy

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    windows defender turned off by group policy: i have an HP laptop, and when i try enabling Windows Defender, it just doesnt let me... i tried many different solutions that are commonly known, but I’m not able to try a specific one since when i type group policy on start nothing shows up please someone help...
  3. window defender turns off by group policy

window defender turns off by group policy: i really want help because i unable to turn on window defender which shows turnoff by group policy plz help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/window-defender-turns-off-by-group-policy/05d50a9e-c7ec-46ed-9331-5d9b3ecbea67
  4. windows defender turn off by group policy:

windows defender turn off by group policy:: how can I on my windows defender? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-turn-off-by-group-policy/2491d75a-40f4-48ad-9af2-60106a7cb07b
  5. WINDOWS DEFENDER "GROUP POLICY"??

WINDOWS DEFENDER "GROUP POLICY"??: Windows defender wont turn on "to allow this app to run must contact security administrator to enable program via group policy" first i thought it was because i had McAfee installed on my computer but after totally uninstalled still giving same message when attempt to turn...
  6. Windows defender turned off by group policy and cannot be updated

Windows defender turned off by group policy and cannot be updated: My windows defender was switched off by group policy. i followed a procedure to switch it on and now i cannot update my windows defender when connected to the internet. Cloud based protection too cannot be switced on. Any help ......
  7. Defender turned off in group policy

Defender turned off in group policy: defender is currently off and when i try to turn on it says its set off in group policy. I am not sure how this happened but i cant turn it on again. gpedit isnt available on my home version of windows so how did it get turned off in the first place? 66403
  8. Windows defender is "Turned off by Group Policy"

Windows defender is "Turned off by Group Policy": Hey! I am using Windows 10 Pro. When I launch Windows Defender, it tells that this program had been turned off by group policy. I tried to run as administrator and reinstall Windows Defender, but the problem still persists 87057
  9. How to disable Defender "This app is turned off by group policy" popup

How to disable Defender "This app is turned off by group policy" popup: I have Windows 10 Pro. I have Norton Internet Security Suite installed, so I don't need Windows Defender. But I keep getting a pop up saying "Windows Defender - This app is turned off by group policy." How can I stop this pop up from, you know, popping up? Thanks,...
  10. Windows Defender Group Policies

Windows Defender Group Policies: I am running Windows 10 (AU) 1607, and under the Windows Defender Group Policy setting I had set the Send File Samples when Further Analysis is Required to be SEND SAFE SAMPLES. What is the difference between Send Safe Samples and Send All Samples? Thanks in advance...