Windows 10: Windows Defender Threat History & Actions

Discus and support Windows Defender Threat History & Actions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi, Hope someone can help clear this up for me. Defender found and stopped something it defined as potentially unwanted software:... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by markrose65, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Windows Defender Threat History & Actions

Hi,

Hope someone can help clear this up for me.

Defender found and stopped something it defined as potentially unwanted software: Win32/Unwaders.C!ml

The threat was apparently quarantined and all the details were there such as threat severity, recommended actions etc.

What I do not understand is why there is an Allow button next to this. What function does it serve and why would I want to allow it anyway?

I find no option to remove or take any other action except to clear history.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

:)

markrose65, Oct 5, 2018
  2. mmast Win User

Windows Defender Reports Malware, Taking Care of it, No Further Action Required, Yet History is Empty

Windows Defender running on Windows 10 Pro x64 pops up a message (lower right corner of screen) that it detected malware, that it is taking care of the threat and that no further action is required. When I open the Defender UI and click on the History tab
    and view All detected items, the list is empty.

Isn't this a bug in Defender? Either there was no malware and it should not have reported that there was, or there was malware and it should be in the list of detected items.

mmast, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Try3 Win User
    Windows defender false positive - forced to allow threat

Windows defender has started to identify C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe as a threat [normally reported as a Trojan Powessere.G]. I use mshta.exe to run an hta custom MsgBox - I have been hoping to keep using my current CustomMsgBox tool [batch file calling a vbs-hta file] until later this year when I hope to have had enough time to replace it with a PowerShell alternative.

Windows defender's notification lets me "allow the threat" but that seems to me to be a bigger security hole than is necessary - it will now ignore a potentially real intrusion when all I want to run is a genuine Windows component. My immediate problem is fixed but I would prefer to fix the false positive using the exclusions list.

I cleared the 'Allowed threats history' so I could use the exclusions list instead. I added C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe to the file exclusions list and I checked that it had taken properly by checking the exclusions list both in the UI & in the Registry. But the exclusion made no difference, it continued to detect and block the exe.

I have repeated the attempt several times [by clearing the allowed threats list & exclusions list beforehand] and the results are the same every time
    - allowing the threat works,
    - using the exclusions list has no effect.

I studied the relevant tutorial but have not spotted an error in what I have been doing - Add or Remove Windows Defender Exclusions

Does anybody with experience of using the exclusions list to counter false positives have any suggestions for me?

Denis

Try3, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Windows Defender Threat History & Actions

'windows defender successfully took action on 1 threat'

I get a notification that 'windows defender successfully took action on 1 threat' but I am not able to see what the problem or threat was that it took action on. Advice?

TragicallyMisunderstood, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

Windows Defender Threat History & Actions

1. Windows Defender Threat History & Actions - Similar Threads - Defender Threat History

2. Can't Remove Microsoft Windows Defender Threat History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Remove Microsoft Windows Defender Threat History: I've read through a ton of posts on this and adjacent topics and none of the proposed solutions have helped yet, here's the full context:The kali linux iso is packaged with code that gets flagged by Windows Defender, this is a well known fact, I'm not worried about it as kali...
  3. Windows Defender Offline Scan Threat History empty

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Offline Scan Threat History empty: Dear reader,I'am looking for the scan results of the windows defender offline scan on a PC with Windows 10 LTSC 1809 fully updated. When I do a quick scan I have the following results:So here I can see the information about the threats, duration, etc...But when I do a offline...
  4. Windows Defender Offline Scan Threat History empty

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Offline Scan Threat History empty: Dear reader,I'am looking for the scan results of the windows defender offline scan on a PC with Windows 10 LTSC 1809 fully updated. When I do a quick scan I have the following results:So here I can see the information about the threats, duration, etc...But when I do a offline...
  5. Windows Defender Offline Scan Threat History empty

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Windows Defender Threat Protection history crashes

Windows Defender Threat Protection history crashes: I used to be able to see and alter the controlled folder access protection history with windows 10. Ever since a recent update I cannot view my protection history without the window crashing. I have tried deleting my threat protection history but even in Command Prompt and...
  7. Windows Defender - Full scan - Take action on threats

Windows Defender - Full scan - Take action on threats: After running a full scan, some threats were reported. "Taking action" has now been in progress for several hours. Is this normal? How long can it take? what happens if I terminate it by closing the window?...
  8. Windows Defender: "Threat Found and action taken" Protection History "No recent items" WTF???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender: "Threat Found and action taken" Protection History "No recent items" WTF???: [ATTACH] I have been getting a notification 2x a day that Windows Defender discovered a threat. https://preview.redd.it/675bq2vz73m41.png?width=415&format=png&auto=webp&s=077bc1854fa85d70045faec30eaea47dbfc0ef36 So when I click on the notification, it takes me to...
  9. Windows defender threats found and available actions

Windows defender threats found and available actions: I did a full system scan with windows defender and it found threats. My question is with the available actions, i'm not sure what each one does exactly and want to make sure I choose the right one. My options Clean threat quarantine remove allow on device What do...
  10. Windows Defender Threat History & Actions

Windows Defender Threat History & Actions: Hi, Hope someone can help clear this up for me. Defender found and stopped something it defined as potentially unwanted software: Win32/Unwaders.C!ml The threat was apparently quarantined and all the details were there such as threat severity, recommend actions etc....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. threat history windows defender

2. threat history

3. threat history windows defender gone

4. windows defender threat history,
  5. threat history windows 10,
  6. remove threat from protection history,
  7. WINDOWS DEFENDER HISTORY ACTION,
  8. Threat blocked in protection history,
  9. protection history on defender to high,
  10. windows detected virus but virus protection history empty,
  11. get a log of windows defender actions,