Windows 10: Windows Defender "threat service has stopped restart it now"

Discus and support Windows Defender "threat service has stopped restart it now" in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello. I`m new here and also looking for help. The problem started today. Yesterday installed KB4549951 update. If i try to do full scan defender... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Durzzak, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Windows Defender "threat service has stopped restart it now"

Hello. I`m new here and also looking for help.

The problem started today. Yesterday installed KB4549951 update.

If i try to do full scan defender just stops after a few minutes.

Event viewer just gives multiple "The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error:

General access denied error"

Edit:

Quick scan works OK,but as soon as i start Full scan cpu goes to 95-100%

Then,defender message appears.

Cpu is I7 8700

Windows 10 1903 /Tried 1909 same thing/

Mawarebytes shows nothing

Adware cleaner also.

Sfc/scannow shows no errors

submitted by /u/Durzzak
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Durzzak, Apr 16, 2020

2. WD: "Threat services has stopped" I'm unable to restart/reactivate.

I am not able to activate viruses and threat protection in windows defender

it says threat services has stopped. Restart it now. But nothing happens.

I tried but I am not able to activate viruses and threat

any suggestions regarding this issue? please do reply

* Original title: windows defender

Insiya_1996, Apr 16, 2020
  3. Rhina Vib Win User
    Windows defender: "Threat service has stopped"

Hi,

For us to better assist you, we need to ask a few questions:

• Which version of Windows are you using?
    • Were there any changes made before experiencing this issue?

For steps to help resolve the issue, you can refer to
    cuda18
    's post on this
    link

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, Apr 16, 2020
  4. Windows Defender "threat service has stopped restart it now"

Windows defender: "Threat service has stopped"

Some users might be experiencing a glitch with starting the Threat Service (Windows Defender Antimalware Service) that was apparently delivered on Patch Tuesday. The first thing to try would be manually restarting the PC lots of times, with a break
    between the restarts (Start button > Power > Restart), as described by Le Boule in this thread:

Windows Defender - Virus & Threat Protection - Restart Now

This issue might also be related to the known glitch where the Security Center Service needs to be restarted in order to get Windows Defender up and running – so try this:

• Manually restart the Security Center, and then attempt to start the Windows Defender Antivirus Service:

1. Press Win Key + R

2. Type “services.msc” and click OK.

3. Right-click on Security Center and click
    Restart

3. Right-click on the Windows Defender Antivirus Service and click
    Start.

If that doesn't work, then you should follow these general troubleshooting steps:

• Remove any undetected malware by scanning with several third-party malware-removal apps, starting with Malwarebytes Free:

List of Malware Removal Tools

• Run the cleanup tools for any previously installed or preinstalled AV apps:

List of anti-malware product removal tools

• Run the standard Windows 10 system integrity checks:

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Source thread:

Defender stopped and cannot restart it

If the above steps fail to start the Windows Defender Antivirus Service, then you can try the steps provided here:

Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10

I hadn’t noticed that

PrashantKumar96
    actually advised setting DisableAntiSpyware = 0
    in this forum article. Before you do that, you should always try just deleting any possible entry for
    DisableAntiSpyware = 1, since that setting might have been added by another program or by malware – and that setting will always prevent Windows Defender from starting. For the sake of both ease and safety, this should be done with a REG command.

Type “cmd” in the search box; and then right-click on
    Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

And then copy, paste, and enter this command:

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableAntiSpyware

This is the proper way to enable Windows Defender when it's been turned off via Group Policy.

We can see that there’s a general confusion with respect to this Group Policy setting by the way that Brink equivocates deleting the
    DisableAntiSpyware entry with setting its value to 0.

DisableAntiSpyware DWORD

(delete) or 0 = On

1 = Off

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/turn-on-or-off-windows-defender-in-windows-10.6895/

But this setting actually uses a three-state logic, where the absence of the setting specifies the normal
    Automatic Disabled compatibility mode for Windows Defender.
    Setting DisableAntiSpyware = 0 sets Windows Defender's operational state to “always on” [DisableAntiSpyware = 0 (logical “no/never”)], whereas [DisableAntiSpyware = 1 (logical “yes/always”)] sets Defender’s
    operational state to “always off”; and where removing the DisableAntispyware registry entry simply returns Defender to its default operational state – where Defender will be automatically disabled by the installation of any third-party AV app, and
    automatically enabled when a third-party AV app is uninstalled.

As the "method of last resort", you can set the Group Policy for Windows Defender to its “always on” mode:

Type “cmd” in the search box; and then right-click on Command Prompt and select
    Run as administrator.

And then copy, paste, and enter this command:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v DisableAntiSpyware /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Then click the Restart button (it might be necessary to restart the PC first).

If this doesn’t work, then you should remove this setting with the REG DELETE command provided above.
    Note that this REG ADD command is just the safe and easy way to perform the registry edit that was described in the answer to this thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-stopped/5724ac44-80ff-4a2f-a3a5-46686a92edd9

No internet-connected PC is safe when it's running without real-time protection. So if you’re not able to restart the Windows Defender Antivirus Service, then the best course of action would be to just temporarily install a free third-party AV solution
    until we can get a handle on things. Replacing Defender with a third-party AV app should at least provide you with a viable alternative for Defender’s real-time protection, and thus let you safely connect to the internet:

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp

GreginMich, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows Defender "threat service has stopped restart it now"

1. Windows Defender "threat service has stopped restart it now" - Similar Threads - Defender threat service

2. Threat Service has stopped. Restart it now.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Threat Service has stopped. Restart it now.: Hello, I got this problem for a while but I've tried all things all this time but none worked... I tried changing the Registry, try to turn on the services, trying to enable the policy and etc. The thing is that I don't really know what to do anymore with it... Can you guys...
  3. Threat Service has stopped. Restart it now.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Threat Service has stopped. Restart it now.: Hello, I got this problem for a while but I've tried all things all this time but none worked... I tried changing the Registry, try to turn on the services, trying to enable the policy and etc. The thing is that I don't really know what to do anymore with it... Can you guys...
  4. Threat service has stopped, restart it now

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Threat service has stopped, restart it now: Hi, I have downloaded and anti vierus to get rid of some of the virus but now it expired. The anti virus makes the windows defender stopped working it shows that it stopped the services and needed to restart. I tried several times but restarting won't help. What to do??...
  5. Threat service has stopped restart it now

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Threat service has stopped restart it now: I got this error after installing the Malwarebytes anti-virus and uninstalling it. No matter what i do it just doesn't work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/threat-service-has-stopped-restart-it-now/db8b52df-2006-43c0-a92d-e706b15a5956
  6. Threat Service has stopped. Restart it now.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Threat Service has stopped. Restart it now.: So, I just reinstalled new Windows due to BSOD I experienced the day before BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG. The new Windows provide me with update and it failed, so I followed the guidance from the internet. One of which required me to disable several services related to the Windows...
  7. Windows Defender "threat service has stopped restart it now"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Defender "threat service has stopped restart it now": Started today. Yesterday installed KB4549951 update. If i try to do full scan defender just stops after a few minutes. Event viewer just gives multiple "The Windows Defender Antivirus Service service terminated with the following error: General access denied error"...
  8. Threat Service Has Stopped, Restart It Now.

Threat Service Has Stopped, Restart It Now.: I get this message every time I go onto Windows Security Defender, as well as every defending thing has been turned off, and it refuses to turn back on. Every time I click "Restart Now," it says there was an "Unexpected Error". I have already tried to use the registry key...
  9. Threat Service Has Stopped, Restart It Now.

Threat Service Has Stopped, Restart It Now.: I get this message every time I go onto Windows Security Defender, as well as every defending thing has been turned off, and it refuses to turn back on. Every time I click "Restart Now," it says there was an "Unexpected Error". I have already tried to use the registry key...
  10. The Threat Service Has Stopped Restart It Now

The Threat Service Has Stopped Restart It Now: I'm running Windows 10 64 bit on a desk top. Red cross through virus and threat protection Updates are complete except for KB2267602 (Definition 1.279.1236.0) -Error 0x80070643 upon attempting to install Attempts to restart the threat service receive "Sorry we ran into a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the threat service has stopped restart it now