Windows 10: Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages

Discus and support Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Aren't those cookie ads? That's not really what this is about. This is about free software that's trying to lure you into a premium by telling you lies... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 30, 2018.

1. lx07 Win User

Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages

You are quite correct - I was conflating two separate issues.

However deciding if something is coercive is a value judgement. Perhaps CCleaner would be a better example. No-one (I suppose) would say its locked "Pro" features are coercive but they do encourage you to upgrade for (I think but it doesn't matter if it is true) no benefit. Someone would have to say "CCleaner.exe is good, DodgyScanner.exe is bad" which is tricky as it could be just a matter of opinion.

It will be OK if you can override it but already I find smartscreen/defender deleting some downloads it doesn't like even if you say "Download anyway". You can only override this by suspending protection.

We will see how it works out anyway I guess.

2. Scramjet Win User

This could affect the giveaway software that a lot of people look forward to checking out each day. As most know the giveway software is a time-limited offer and must be installed within 24 hrs. If MS detects something in those installed applications then it will be removed without the PC owner's knowledge or consent. Many times the features in the giveaway version is what the person wants, but because they offer better features in the Pro version they let you know. So we stand to lose applications that we use. This is becoming too controlling for MS. Sad *Sad

Scramjet, Jan 31, 2018
  3. There comes a time in everyone's life that they must take responsibilities for their own actions or lack thereof. I for one, want complete control over my PC and if I have to remove Defender, I will do so.

Josey Wales, Jan 31, 2018
  4. Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages

Always used MS Def as a second opinion-scanner , but if its removing things I want to keep , then I will remove/disable Windows Defender for sure..........!

pietcorus2, Jan 31, 2018
  5. Started trying to use Defender on some of the house hold systems, but if removes something I wanna keep, then yup will eventually be sticking with Avast Free, and Malwarebytes Free. Guess will see what happens prior to March 1st, or if I experience performance issue might end up with it disabled once again and back on Avast lol, time will tell

AMDMan2016, Jan 31, 2018
  6. Tony K Win User
    Thanks for posting the article, Shawn. *Smile

The statement “making unnecessary purchase decisions” is absolutely correct. Everything one needs to maintain the Windows system is already included. All automatic these days as well.

How about this instead? > MS knows that most of their user base is full of users that for lack of a better words - Not as tech savvy and get swindled. Do you have something against anyone protecting the ignorant and/or naïve? This leads to 3rd party crapps to take over part or most of their system and heaven only knows how much telemetry if that be the case.

Well stated, Faith. *Thumbs

What access is that? Do you mean impermissible access? If so, perhaps you can show us how they do.

Oh please. Really? #1 is that they don’t remove them, but rather don’t include them and never have in the past. Secondly, that would be like someone walking into an auto dealership wanting to purchase less-costly model demanding that they get all the features of the more-costly model. One gets what one pays for under capitalism, yes?

Doesn’t sound like you feel you have “complete control” if MS has “access to your PC”. So why is it you don’t you take your own advice of “take responsibilities for their own actions or lack thereof” and use a different OS? If not, sounds to me like you’ll at least have to look for a different AV then. *Wink

Tony K, Jan 31, 2018
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

My thoughts exactly. Some scripts that used to run on Oulook.com (the free version that is) were so cpu heavy that it actually made the program hang.
    Not to mention the energy it is stealing from the users etc. It really was becoming ridiculous.
    So yes, MS is guilty just the same as they promote the add free version alongside and of course that's a paid for version.
    The entire web is getting ridiculous with all these adds and trackers if you'd ask me.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Jan 31, 2018
  8. Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages

Nice "Straw Man" defence. *Rolleyes

I'm talking about a completely different issue:
    https://www.ghacks.net/2016/07/28/mi...indows-10-pro/
    There's even a thread about it on TenForums:
    Microsoft removes some policies from Windows 10 Pro

Note:
    I should have said W10 Enterprise not W10 Workstation in the previous post.

lehnerus2000, Feb 1, 2018
  9. I just happen to believe that any user of Windows 10 is not as dumb as you think they are. Everyone is possible for their own actions. Microsoft did not create Windows 10 for snowflakes that need a safe zone. I have faith in humanity, as Windows 10 is used world Wide by many people of various backgrounds that can use Windows 10 without MS as a baby sitter./*Wink

Josey Wales, Feb 1, 2018
  10. Tony K Win User
    LOL, yes, I gave it my best shot. *Wink

Well, that’s a horse of a different color. I see what you mean now. Although not included in group policy, there is a work around or on/off toggle for most.

Tips and Tricks: I don’t get them anymore, so I’ll assume it’s not included any longer. Do you still get them?

Store app suggestions – Toggle off in Setting app > Personalization > Start > or:

Turn Off Automatic Installation of Suggested Apps in Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Lock screen:

Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

All but this one > Turn off Microsoft consumer experiences policy > But, SFAIK don’t allow it upon installation > If you enable it, then it will continue with feature updates. Same with Cortana and other features, although some can be toggled on or off.

I think I covered all the items in the article. If I didn’t, let me know.

Most users obtained 10 via the free upgrade/update offer, did you? As I’m sure you know, although not publicly known, that could be achieved way past the deadline MS gave up until recently. Let’s say I give you $200 with no strings attached and as you have you hand out I grab it back, then only give you $175 back. Are you going to complain that you now only have $175? Meaning > As soon as you update to a new feature update, that is now a totally new edition of Windows. If anything, I see MS giving back some features along the way. Don’t you? And don’t forget all the free features that come along with the feature updates; All without charge.

Tony K, Feb 1, 2018
  11. matfx Win User
    I think some free software going too much, some users might not aware that "unwanted" software will install during installation process of the free app, because they will put the Agree/Disagree button in a confusion manner. But then its up to consumers to decide, what Microsoft did here looks like a "force" watchdog and also a privacy intrusion of consumers pc.

matfx, Feb 1, 2018
  12. Ztruker Win User
    I work with Windows users every day at the shop. Most (60% or more I'd say) do not have a clue what they are doing or how to go about doing anything other than use a browser to look at stuff on the internet or send and receive E-mail. Almost all use Google Chrome because it just showed up one day. They don't know how or why.

If you change anything on their system or pop up messages that require them to respond they don't know what to do. Many will turn off their computer at that point by holding the power button in till it powers off. They don't apply updates, they never move to newer versions of programs because they don't know how to or they are afraid if they try to they will mess something up and it will never work again.

If icons get moved on their desktop or even worse, get deleted, they panic.

These are the people who are very susceptible to scare ware tactics and the ones MS is trying to help. I'm all for it.
    Ideally there should be a opt out capability for tech savy people but I like what MS is trying to do.

Ztruker, Feb 1, 2018
  13. eLPuSHeR Win User

I share the same experience as Ztruker.
    I have to format a PC today that has got two av packages installed, five browsers or so, several crappy PDF printers and the list goes on and on. And it was infected by malware, of course.

As for original topic: we are just making guesses about how this new WD feature will work, and we don't know yet. Maybe is toggleable and/or configurable.

eLPuSHeR, Feb 1, 2018
  14. I didn't use any of them, so it didn't affect me.

The last time MS did something like this that affected me, was when they stripped the "Start Menu" code from W8CP, after they discovered that people were disabling Metro in W8DP.

The principle is clear, if MS doesn't like how users are using their own machines, MS will take action against them,
    "Do it our way or else!" *Sad

I got a copy of W10 Pro as a result of being in the W10 IP (no idea how it happened though).
    It's broken now.
    It won't correctly install the upgrade to the 1709.
    It constantly tries to download multiple GBs of files every time I turn the network on.
    It filled a 40GB partition with garbage (entirely) last time I left it running.

I regret accepting the free W10 Home install on my W7 Home Premium laptop.
    It's broken now.
    It won't correctly install the mandatory upgrade to the 1709.
    It constantly tries to download multiple GBs of files every time I turn the network on.

Both of them require clean installs from an ISO to fix them. *Sad

Service Packs were also free. *Smile

What real improvements (not new "freebies") have they added to W10 Home or W10 Pro?
    Instead of fixing the actual issues, all MS did was grudgingly add some sliders to try to silence user complaints about Privacy, Telemetry & Updates.

It's like when MS added a "Start Button" that opened the "Start Screen" (on W8.1) even though they knew that users wanted the "Start Menu" back.

lehnerus2000, Feb 1, 2018
  15. Jack07 Win User
    I hope this is not the start of a fully bloated Defender.
    What's next, warn us about old/not up to date apps and so on..

Jack07, Feb 1, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Defender to protect against apps that show coercive messages - Similar Threads - Defender protect against

2. Windows Defender not showing Protection History

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender not showing Protection History: I get notifications of controlled folder access but when I click it my windows defender's protection history is always empty. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/windows-defender-not-showing-protection-history/f0082567-a29c-451c-9a8f-33ddebb68464
  3. Windows Defender not showing Protection History

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender not showing Protection History: hello friends, something very annoying has been happening to me for a few weeks, at first I did not give it importance but now it is unbearable and annoying and the truth is I do not know what caused it, it may have been a windows update or The fact that I moved my programs...
  4. Windows Defender not showing Protection History

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender not showing Protection History: hello friends, something very annoying has been happening to me for a few weeks, at first I did not give it importance but now it is unbearable and annoying and the truth is I do not know what caused it, it may have been a windows update or The fact that I moved my programs...
  5. Windows Defender not showing Protection History

6. WIndows Defender not showing Protection History

WIndows Defender not showing Protection History: Hello,I recently re-installed windows on my pc, but I chose to keep all my files and apps. All the apps' data were alright, but windows defender's protection history was gone! I don't have a problem with that. But then no matter how many times my pc is scanned and actions are...
  7. Does Windows Defender protect me against hackers/spying?

Does Windows Defender protect me against hackers/spying?: I've recently become pretty paranoid about my PC's security. I've run multiple full scans that came up negative. I'm still slightly concerned about my security online. How good is Windows Security at protecting me against hackers? Does it secure my webcam and make sure...
  8. Protection Against Ransomwares

Protection Against Ransomwares: Does the Microsoft know all about ransomware? Microsoft's persons can catch them but...deal [Original Title: Protactions] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/protection-against-ransomwares/9dcfe6bc-8fa9-424d-a8cb-488a7095f186
  9. Does Windows Defender protect against malware with all browsers?

Does Windows Defender protect against malware with all browsers?: I have Windows 10 on my desktop. I have had Malwarebytes working on this computer since 2013. Suddenly, it will no longer open but it is still installed. I have no idea why this has happened and have had trouble getting help from Malwarebytes. Does Windows Defender...
  10. Is Microsoft Defender providing protection against "SaveThQueen" malware?

Is Microsoft Defender providing protection against "SaveThQueen" malware?: Hello, Is Microsoft Defender providing protection against "SaveThQueen" malware? Thanks, Florina https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-microsoft-defender-providing-protection-against/b16f50af-8b6c-4091-9c0b-649eb46c58de"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft windows defender coercive messaging microsoft