Windows 10: Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode

Discus and support Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In MSconfig I set windows to boot into safe mode, now it will not boot at all. Previously it booted into normal mode. I used a Windows recovery disc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by toolman59, Sep 7, 2016.

1. toolman59 Win User

Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode

In MSconfig I set windows to boot into safe mode, now it will not boot at all. Previously it booted into normal mode.

I used a Windows recovery disc from which the only option that works is the command prompt. From the cmd prompt I can see all of C: drive and also run regedit.

Is there anyway from the cmd prompt to reset Boot from safe mode back to normal mode?

:)

toolman59, Sep 7, 2016
  2. CraigMSN Win User

Windows 10 "shutdown" causes next boot to fail

Windows 10 "shutdown" causes next boot to fail. After performing a normal shutdown, the next time I try to power up and boot the computer, the process fails with the black screen and blue windows showing. This is true whether booting up in normal mode, or
    safe mode. Cycling power, or just pressing the reset button will cause the next boot to succeed. Again whether booting in normal or safe modes. When shutting down from safe mode, the next boot always works (even in normal mode). A "restart" always works.
    The "shutdown" process appears to be leaving something on the hard drive that causes a cold boot to fail, but the process of trying to cold boot corrects the problem for the next time.

Has anyone had this experience, and do you know how to fix it?

CraigMSN, Sep 7, 2016
  3. Windows 10 fails to boot into Safe Mode

Old title: Monim

Hi professionals,

my system is windows 10, one time try to start in safe mode but i couldn't and the PC became disable to startup.

i try many way to startup (by USB boot) but no way, i missed in advanced options startup, help please.

A.monimPigeon, Sep 7, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums
    Option 3 and then number 5

Hope that works. Always worth checking the Tutorial section. Please have a look.

Or, if you have restore points, you can run System restore from your boot disk.

Failing those, it is possible to restore the backup copy of your registry.

When back running again (hopefully) I suggest you then do an in-place upgrade repair install.
    Instructions also in the Tutorial section.
    Keeps all your progs + data and most settings.

Once you have a stable working PC, I would urge you then to start using disk imaging e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium + external storage so you ca recover from many problems to a previous working state without technical help.

dalchina, Sep 7, 2016
  5. toolman59 Win User
    Thank you very much, Option 3 No 5 spot on.

I do have a Windows image from last week, but, the boot disc could not do a startup repair or find the image on the external or internal drives.

I did the anniversary install last week which cured all the obvious problems, such as SFC not able to repair corrupt files, not able to open update & security in settings and ChkDsk not completing.

After the install Boot times were reduced dramatically and the other problems were solved.

It would appear that something is preventing the system booting into safe mode.

Thank you again for you timely help

toolman59, Sep 7, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good, now you can do an in-place upgrade repair install to repair Safe Mode.

Precede it with this in case sthg has happened to your file system:

From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!

An In-place upgrade repair install will fix many things, but not those where the settings are not changed by the procedure.

For this you need an installation medium with the same base build as you have installed, and x64 if you have a 64 bits OS, else x86 (32 bits).

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    - this includes a link from which you can obtain Windows 10 iso file (" download a Windows 10 ISO"), or create a bootable medium.

I would recommend creating the bootable medium, as this can be used
    - for any future in-place upgrade repair install
    - to boot from and use its recovery options should Windows become unbootable.
    - to clean install Windows

This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - Windows.old will be created
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.
    - you will need to redo any language downloads including the display language if you changed that)
    - inactive title bar colouring (if used) will be reset to default
    - if Qttabbar is installed, you need to re-enable it in explorer (Options, check Qttabbar)
    This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect (free/commercial) + boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

dalchina, Sep 7, 2016
  7. toolman59 Win User
    dalchina

Thank you for all your help. Attached is the ChkDsk results from Event viewer.

I have read the various links and downloaded the Windows 10 Pro ISO and will give Macrium a try.

toolman59, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows fails to boot, into safe mode or normal mode - Similar Threads - fails boot safe

2. Windows won't boot, normally or in safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't boot, normally or in safe mode: It gets to the windows logo with the spinning dots and just stays there. Tried safe mode and it did the same thing.I've ran chkdsk and SFC in the recovery environment, found no problems with my windows drive.Leading up to this my pc was freezing when idle no BSOD just froze...
  3. Windows won't boot, normally or in safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows won't boot, normally or in safe mode: It gets to the windows logo with the spinning dots and just stays there. Tried safe mode and it did the same thing.I've ran chkdsk and SFC in the recovery environment, found no problems with my windows drive.Leading up to this my pc was freezing when idle no BSOD just froze...
  4. Windows won't boot, normally or in safe mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Force a normal boot out of safe mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Force a normal boot out of safe mode: I recently discovered I had a Trojan infection on my pc. When searching for basic troubleshooting, I found out booting on Safe Mode was going to help out. The problem is that when I try to boot onto safe mode, the pc shows no display and stays on without me able to see a...
  6. Force a normal boot out of safe mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Force a normal boot out of safe mode: I recently discovered I had a Trojan infection on my pc. When searching for basic troubleshooting, I found out booting on Safe Mode was going to help out. The problem is that when I try to boot onto safe mode, the pc shows no display and stays on without me able to see a...
  7. Force a normal boot out of safe mode

8. Boot Up - Safe vs normal mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Boot Up - Safe vs normal mode: My PC always Boots up into 'SAFE mode'. How do I Boot up in normal mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/boot-up-safe-vs-normal-mode/5aa99c05-5456-4fe6-a38c-6765b8046b9c
  9. Unable to boot Windows 10, normal or safe mode

Unable to boot Windows 10, normal or safe mode: This morning when I started my laptop, all I could see was the mouse pointer arrow on a black screen. I restarted the laptop, but it gets stuck at the spinning white dots. From what I have read, it seems like an issue related to the Nvidia driver. Here is what I have tried...
  10. Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot into Normal/Safe Mode with Networking, only safe mode...: Good Evening, I could do with some pointers on resolving an issue. I can only boot into windows in safe mode in Windows 10. Normal mode and safe mode with networking doesn't work. The problem occurred after a windows update. I have removed the latest updates that were...