Windows 10: Windows has messed up my desktop

Discus and support Windows has messed up my desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was messing around in the notification area and all of sudden my desktop has changed, every app I've opened takes full screen, and won't restore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rboppy, Jan 3, 2018.

1. rboppy Win User

Windows has messed up my desktop

I was messing around in the notification area and all of sudden my desktop has changed, every app I've opened takes full screen, and won't restore down, they will minimize. All the desktop icons are hidden, there's something similar to the start menu on the left side of the desktop where I can click and get my icons, they're large, in the middle of the desktop.

What's going on?*Mad

:)

rboppy, Jan 3, 2018

2. windows 10 has messed up my tablet

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated. 

Method 1:

Step 1:

Try to boot into Safe Mode with Networking and perform the Clean Boot.

Press and hold the shift key while clicking on Restart
    at the login Screen (Bottom right corner).

1. Select Troubleshoot
    and click on Advanced Options.

2. Select Startup Settings
    and click on Restart.

3. After restarting, choose Enable Safe modewith networking.

If the issue does not persists in Safe Mode, then perform a Clean Boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as Clean Boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

Step 2:

Put the computer in Clean Boot and check if it helps.

By setting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a Clean Boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After Clean Boot troubleshooting step, refer to "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with Clean Boot" from the article.

Method 2: You may try to boot from the Windows 10 media and try performing an Automatic repair from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE).

To perform Automatic repair on Windows 10 computer follow these steps:

a) Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer

b) Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

c) Click Next and select Repair your computer.

d) You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option
    Troubleshoot
    and select Advanced options.

e) You may choose Automatic Repair from Advanced boot option.

You may refer to the below link to download the ISO and create the installation media:

Download Windows 10

For reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/resolve-windows-blue-screen-errors

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Jan 3, 2018
  3. mac0252 Win User
    windows 10 has messed up my tablet

What you don't understand is I can't get into safe mode, with networking or otherwise. My tablet doesn't respond to f8 or any other command, I have definately tried all of them. It looks like the only solution is to replace the hard drive, I guess I'll have
    to send it back to DELL, or replace the hard drive myself. My venue 11 pro was perfect the way it was, I wish I had never put Windows 10 on it. All I get on it now is a blue screen with a white circle going around and around. I have tried every key combination
    I could, including f5& home after letting the battery in the tablet run down. That just took me to a diagnostics page that was worthless, does anyone know how to format this hard drive, considering I can't get back into it, no matter what I do?

mac0252, Jan 3, 2018
  4. Windows has messed up my desktop

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

• Select the Start button, type control panel andthen choose it from the list of results.
    • Search Control Panel for Recovery.
    • Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
    • Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.
    Note
    If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check, go to the Control Panel, search for Recovery, and then select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.

FreeBooter, Jan 3, 2018
  5. rboppy Win User
    Thanks, I'll try that, but why did it happen?

The last restore point was 12/27, update was 12/20, I'll choose 12/27 if that does'n work I'll try 12/20

rboppy, Jan 3, 2018
  6. It could be malware infection or it could also be cause by corrupted Windows system files.

To open an elevated Command Prompt window In Windows 10 type cmd.exe into Start Menu, right-click on Cmd.exe, and open it as an administrator.

Execute below commands from Command Prompt one at time.

Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth[/quote] DISM use for repairing Windows component store corruption.

Code: Sfc /Scannow[/quote] The Sfc command will repair corrupted or modified system files.

Malwarebytes' scanner
    If this program is already installed: Skip the installation and run only the scan!
    Download and install: Please download Malwarebytes' scanner to your desktop.

• Double-click mb3-setup-consumer-3.x.x.xxxx and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • Click Finish.
    • On the Dashboard, click the 'Check for Updates' button.
    • After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now' button.
    • A Threat Scan will begin. Please allow it to progress through the scanning process.
    • When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Quarantines Selected button to allow the program to clean what was detected.
    • In most cases, a restart will be required.
    • Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

How to get logs: (Export log to save as txt)

• After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open Malwarebytes once more.
    • Click on the Reports tab > Scan Report. (if you have done more than one scan in the past, select the most recent that shows the Date and time of the scan just performed. Press View Report button.
    • Click 'Export'.
    • Click 'Text file (*.txt)'
    • In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.
    • In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.
    • A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".
    • Click Ok
    • Find the log on your Desktop and Attach that saved log to your next reply.

(Copy to clipboard for pasting into forum replies or tickets)

FreeBooter, Jan 3, 2018
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    Eagle51, Jan 3, 2018
  8. rboppy Win User

Thanks Eagle51, I'm sure that's what happened, didn't know anything about Tablet Mode. I was trying to get rid of some of the apps from the Notification area on that computer. My main computer, has only 6 apps when Expanded, the other one has ~12 or 16 and I never use um. I don't remember how I got rid of them on this computer.

rboppy, Jan 4, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    Yep, a careless click on the 'Tablet mode' tile in the notification area will do that *Smile

You add or remove them in Settings > System > Notifications & actions.

*Arrow Add or Remove Quick Actions in Action Center in Windows 10

Bree, Jan 4, 2018
  10. rboppy Win User
    Thanks Bree, I looked all over for that!

rboppy, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows has messed up my desktop - Similar Threads - has messed desktop

2. Enabling HDR has messed up my displays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enabling HDR has messed up my displays: I use a an alienware ultrawide not HDR capable as my main monitor. I connected an LG OLED as the 2nd display and all was working ok, but then with the LG set as my main display I toggled on HDR, this caused my display to flash and both to stop displaying an image.I...
  3. My Windows desktop was messed up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Windows desktop was messed up: public Desktop was showing instead of user desktop: I will explain what I did in Windows 11 English. I just wanted to have the screenshot taken with the shortcut Win+Shift+S going inmy Desktop folder instead of one of my two OneDrive Folder: OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots.1. Right-click on OneDrive/Pictures/Screenshots ->...
  4. Peek At Desktop messed up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Peek At Desktop messed up: HI all,Another problem out of the box Of course, its windows! in my newly purchased dell XPS17 which runs on windows 10 pro, 11 gen i7, 32Gb ram, nVidia Geforce 3060.... $3400 in total!The peek onto desktop functionality, accessed through the peek button on the far right end...
  5. Peek At Desktop messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Peek At Desktop messed up: HI all,Another problem out of the box Of course, its windows! in my newly purchased dell XPS17 which runs on windows 10 pro, 11 gen i7, 32Gb ram, nVidia Geforce 3060.... $3400 in total!The peek onto desktop functionality, accessed through the peek button on the far right end...
  6. Peek At Desktop messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Desktop messed up on startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop messed up on startup: Hello,I've been having an issue with my desktop icons arrangement for a while. Normally, I never use a predefined sorting method such as by name, size, item type... and custom sort the desktop icons myself. It used to work normally: I sort the icons, and they stay where they...
  8. Update has messed up my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Update has messed up my computer: Can't open start menu, settings or anything like that. The way i display my homescreen has changed completely, internet not working and when i restart my computer nothing changes. i updated my computer last night after being prompted and now I just can't do anything on it....
  9. OneDrive Has Messed Up My Laptop!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Has Messed Up My Laptop!: I recently activated OneDrive. It backed up all the files on my Dell laptop Windows 10. Unfortunately, now my desktop screen, where I keep all the files and folders I am working on, contains random files and folders. Essentially, it now contains ALL my files and folders...
  10. Windows 10 Messed up my WiFi driver and desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Messed up my WiFi driver and desktop: Windows 10 messed up my wifi driver and only got a black screen now. Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-messed-up-my-wifi-driver-and-desktop/b3a3ed71-5630-4525-a79c-a5631ebf3ac9