Windows 10: Windows installation media USB plugged in stopped PC from POSTing. With it unplugged I can...

Discus and support Windows installation media USB plugged in stopped PC from POSTing. With it unplugged I can... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am not sure if this is a Windows problem, Asus problem or USB drive problem, but I figured someone may be able to help me here. I need a second drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Mjolnir2425, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Windows installation media USB plugged in stopped PC from POSTing. With it unplugged I can...

I am not sure if this is a Windows problem, Asus problem or USB drive problem, but I figured someone may be able to help me here. I need a second drive with windows installed to experiment with some possibly OS-corrupting software. First time I installed Aura sync, it didn't work and uninstalling it corrupted windows (audio glitches, freezes, frame drops at idle). I reinstalled windows with the same usb drive in question. The last setting set in Aura is saved in the BIOS EEPROM chip, so I wanted to set the color mode on a second drive, save the profile to the BIOS chip and put my drives back in without worrying about corrupting a good install of Windows 10.

THE PROBLEM/BUG

I disconnected my SSD and HDD and connected an old 500GB HDD. I got into UEFI just to see if the drive is working, and it is. I shut down the computer, put the same 16GB USB drive into the same motherboard port as the last time when it installed correctly. I turned the PC back on, didn't see the American Megatrends screen and, actually, no display signal was sent out. After about 10s of fans at 100%, the PSU shut off with the recognizable relay click, turned on, stayed on for 3s it turned off again and repeated the power cycling. After holding the power button and taking the USB installation drive out, I could get to BIOS again.

submitted by /u/Mjolnir2425
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Mjolnir2425, Nov 9, 2019
  2. Bree Win User

Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

Bree, Nov 9, 2019
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Nov 9, 2019
  4. thraxed Win User

Windows installation media USB plugged in stopped PC from POSTing. With it unplugged I can...

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows installation media USB plugged in stopped PC from POSTing. With it unplugged I can...

1. Windows installation media USB plugged in stopped PC from POSTing. With it unplugged I can... - Similar Threads - installation media USB

2. USB Keyboard is not connecting after unplugged and plugged-in

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Keyboard is not connecting after unplugged and plugged-in: Hola,No funciona correctamente el plug and play con mi telcadoNormalmente los dispositivos USB son "Plug & Play", debería conectarse si se desconecta y se enchufa, pero no fue así. El teclado funciona, así que intente reiniciar la máquina con el teclado ya conectado. En ese...
  3. Random usb plug and unplug sounds

Random usb plug and unplug sounds: Hi, recently there have been some random usb plug/unplug sounds in my pc and when i check with usbdeview, i find this unknown usb device sometimes keeps connect then disconnect for like 5 seconds then completely disconnect. I wanna know how to fix this, ty for any help.Here...
  4. Random usb plug and unplug sounds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random usb plug and unplug sounds: Hi, recently there have been some random usb plug/unplug sounds in my pc and when i check with usbdeview, i find this unknown usb device sometimes keeps connect then disconnect for like 5 seconds then completely disconnect. I wanna know how to fix this, ty for any help.Here...
  5. Random usb plug and unplug sounds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Blue screen when plugging in or unplugging a usb.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue screen when plugging in or unplugging a usb.: I’ve been having frequent blue screens whenever I unplugged my mouse or unplug my controller, also happens when plugging or unplugging any usb. Started happenening after I did a clean wipe and a new install of windows....
  7. Blue screen when plugging in or unplugging a usb.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue screen when plugging in or unplugging a usb.: I’ve been having frequent blue screens whenever I unplugged my mouse or unplug my controller, also happens when plugging or unplugging any usb. Started happenening after I did a clean wipe and a new install of windows....
  8. Blue screen when plugging in or unplugging a usb.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in: * I previously posted this in /r/techsupport but did not get any solutions to the problem * I've had this Windows 10 computer for about 3-4 years now and up until a few days ago it was working perfectly fine with no problems. Yesterday, my computer wouldn't detect my PS3...
  10. USB Keyboard is not connecting after unplugged and plugged-in

USB Keyboard is not connecting after unplugged and plugged-in: Hi, I am using this PC HP for 2 years with same USB keyboard Dell, suddenly yesterday the keyboard was not working, normally USB devices are "Plug & Play" it should connect if unplug and plugged-in but it didn't work so give a try to reboot the machine then keyboard...