Windows 10: Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order

Discus and support Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; The Windows Photo Viewer will not display photos in the order they are sorted by Windows Explorer. This is not referring to the slide show feature,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by pmshop, Aug 4, 2015.

1. pmshop Win User

Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order

The Windows Photo Viewer will not display photos in the order they are sorted by Windows Explorer.
    This is not referring to the slide show feature, just the forward and back arrows.
    The only order pictures can be viewed is by name despite Windows Explorer being set at view by date, ascending.
    I have repaired Microsoft Live Essentials, uninstalled and reinstalled but the issue remains.
    This is also not an issue with photo tags or photo names.
    Windows Explorer sorts as selected but click a picture in the middle to view, click the forward arrow and instead of the next date picture being viewed, the next name picture is viewed.

:)

pmshop, Aug 4, 2015

2. Pictures in File Explorer - Photos vs. Windows Photo Viewer

I have directories that contain picture files as well as video files. If I want to use a photo viewer to just see the picture files, I generally use Windows Photo Viewer. Unfortunately, in Windows 10, when you sort a directory to anything other than "name",
    Windows Photo Viewer does not recognize the sort feature and just shows the pictures in "name" order. In Windows 7, it would show the pictures in the same sort order as File Explorer.

Photos does the sort properly but also previews video files. I don't want Photos to preview video files.

Can you get Windows Photo Viewer to show the pictures in the same order as File Explorer, or get Photos not to show video files?

Martin Gaida, Aug 4, 2015
  3. windows photo viewer display order not as file explorer

I have set file explorer to show my images in date order. I like to click on an image and have it open in W photo viewer, then browse via the arrows through the folder (previously in date order as in file explorer). Unfortunately the viewer is stuck on name
    order and not date order. This seems to be since windows 10.

I have tried the regedit fix to get photo viewer to display in date order here:

Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order Solved - Windows 10 Forums

it does NOT work (yes I restarted).

Any way to fix this please?

(... surprised we have to edit the registry for this yet we're not trusted to update windows manually - strange policy decision?)

Sorry if I sound grumpy ... I am!

(oh and system restore doesn't work with kaspersky installed).

I don't know why I can't just login with the previ, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Joergi Win User

Hi!

I upgraded to Windows 10 recently as well, I have the same problem and I also have a solution. However, I do not know, if it is ideal. Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order :)

What is obviously missing is an entry in the registry called DropTarget. This entry tells Windows Photo Viewer to display the images in the sorting order of the folder Photo Viewer got called from.

Non-solution:
    I saw that at least in my registry there is a DropTarget defined in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget. From the name of the key and from reading the docs this looks as if it would be applied to all calls to this program, but -if that actually is the case- for me this entry does not work. It has been there (at least) after my Windows 10 upgrade, also the "Clsid"="{FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}" seems to be fine, but it does not do the job.

Solution:
    For me, this problem was present for jpg and png files, but not for bmp, dib, gif, jfif and what else can be opened with Windows Photo Viewer. To fix this, I have added the following to the Windows Registry:

Code: [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpegfile\shell\open\DropTarget] "Clsid"="{FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pngfile\shell\open\DropTarget] "Clsid"="{FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}"[/quote] After you added that to the registry, rightclick a jpg file, select "Open with", choose Windows Photo Viewer and click "Always open with this app". This step is not intended to actually change the program you are using (actually the program stays the same), but it makes Windows reload the file associations.

If afterwards you open a jpg or a png file, the sorting order should be the same as it was in your folder - at least it was for me.

Final thoughts:
    I would be happy, if I got it working using the key Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget I mentioned above, but that is only a technical detail. Fact is: With the jpegfile and pngfile DropTarget posted above it's working!

Joergi, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Thanks a lot,
    I had the same issue than you and your solution perfectly work for me too.
    Good job
    [/quote]

Radicalizer, Aug 8, 2015
  6. pmshop Win User
    Thank you all very much!
    Now if I could only get a response to the other issue for Edge Browser.
    Cannot login to web based email. Entering user name and password then hitting enter is like clicking refresh.

pmshop, Aug 8, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Aug 8, 2015
  8. Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order

Hi, I was wondering if you could help me step by step on how to add the code to the registry, I don't have much experience with it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

[/quote]

LuthexColbark, Sep 12, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Luthex, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

Using the tutorial below to restore Windows Photo Viewer will include this as well.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Sep 12, 2015
  10. 5quirre1 Win User
    Doesn't work. Jpegs and pngs still ordered by name only. Any other ideas?

5quirre1, Sep 17, 2015
  11. 5quirre1 Win User
    Oh well. If I get some time, maybe I'll attempt to figure out why my system didn't accept the changes. Thanks anyways!

5quirre1, Sep 17, 2015
  12. RobOrland Win User
    When I first tried this solution I thought it didn't work either, but then I realised that I'd missed out the curly brackets enclosing the string. Hence I entered....
    FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A
    when I should've entered....
    {FFE2A43C-56B9-4bf5-9A79-CC6D4285608A}

It now works perfectly - huge thanks to Joergi for this - I'd never have figured it out myself!

I hope this helps in some way.

RobOrland, Oct 2, 2015
  13. khamseen Win User

After you added that to the registry, rightclick a jpg file, select "Open with", choose Windows Photo Viewer and click "Always open with this app". This step is not intended to actually change the program you are using (actually the program stays the same), but it makes Windows reload the file associations.

If afterwards you open a jpg or a png file, the sorting order should be the same as it was in your folder - at least it was for me.

Final thoughts:
    I would be happy, if I got it working using the key Applications\photoviewer.dll\shell\open\DropTarget I mentioned above, but that is only a technical detail. Fact is: With the jpegfile and pngfile DropTarget posted above it's working![/quote] Thanks for this! This issue has been bugging me for months now since upgrading to Win 10 and I just could not find a reason for it happening. Added these reg entries has got it working as it should once again.

You should probably check that before suggesting it to people. The registry edits they make in that tutorial do not include the ones posted above.

khamseen, Nov 12, 2015
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello khamseen,

At the time that was posted, it was included in the .reg files in the tutorial. Since then, it was discovered to cause the issue at the link below, and was then removed.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...tml#post429905

Brink, Nov 12, 2015
  15. khamseen Win User
    Ahh ok, apologies. I'm just glad I can eventually rely on Photo Viewer again.

khamseen, Nov 12, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows Photo Viewer; sorting order not the same as view order - Similar Threads - Photo Viewer sorting

2. How to view photos in Windows 11 in the same order as they are sorted in a folder?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to view photos in Windows 11 in the same order as they are sorted in a folder?: How to view photos in Windows 11 in the same order as they are sorted in a folder?Now when I double-click some .jpg-file in Windows 11 Explorer, It opens the photo in Windows Photos App. The problem or issue is when I click the arrow to see the previous or next photo, the...
  3. How to view photos in Windows 11 in the same order as they are sorted in a folder?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to view photos in Windows 11 in the same order as they are sorted in a folder?: How to view photos in Windows 11 in the same order as they are sorted in a folder?Now when I double-click some .jpg-file in Windows 11 Explorer, It opens the photo in Windows Photos App. The problem or issue is when I click the arrow to see the previous or next photo, the...
  4. New Windows Photos app not sorting photos in the correct order.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Windows Photos app not sorting photos in the correct order.: I am using both one drive and apple photos, when viewing media the media does not respect the date taken order. I.E. I have a two pictures that were taken at the same time, separated by several pictures that were taken before or after. It is beyond belief that MS cannot even...
  5. New Windows Photos app not sorting photos in the correct order.

New Windows Photos app not sorting photos in the correct order.: I am using both one drive and apple photos, when viewing media the media does not respect the date taken order. I.E. I have a two pictures that were taken at the same time, separated by several pictures that were taken before or after. It is beyond belief that MS cannot even...
  6. Windows task view order

Windows task view order: I would like to pin or something one of my windows visual studio code to a position on the task view 1st so when i do alt tab and see the task view its always at first....
  7. Windows task view order

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows task view order: I would like to pin or something one of my windows visual studio code to a position on the task view 1st so when i do alt tab and see the task view its always at first....
  8. file/folder sort order

file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  9. file/folder sort order

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file/folder sort order: win 10 file explorer sort order by date is always folders first.i prefer order by date, regardless of folder, shortcut or file...OR folders last, by datei think there is a date column select, then a secondary SHIFT column select... but.... i cant find it...
  10. Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order

Photo Viewer does not show photos in sorted order: I store both RAW (CR2) and JPG versions of all my photos, with each folder sorted by type. Before Windows 10 this allowed me to view all the JPGs without the CR2 (which take longer to load). The new version insists that I view both! How do I restore the original...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. picture view order is different from file browsing order

2. windows photo viwer not sorting