Windows 10: Windows' Profile folder named Downloads

Discus and support Windows' Profile folder named Downloads in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, My profile folder (c:\Users\[profile]\ is shown as Downloads in Windows Explorer although it is not the Downloads folder (see picture). This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tanin, Jul 10, 2019.

1. tanin Win User

Windows' Profile folder named Downloads

Hi,
    My profile folder (c:\Users\[profile]\ is shown as Downloads in Windows Explorer although it is not the Downloads folder (see picture).
    This happened when i mistakenly relocated the Downloads folder to "c:\Users\[profile]" instead of "c:\Users\[profile]\Downloads".

As I couldn't manually relocate the Downloads folder afterwards (for some reason, there's no Location tab when the Downloads folder is set to the Profile folder) I had to reassign the Downloads folder with a bat file I found here:
    Restore Default Location of Personal Folders in Windows 10

The location itself, i.e. the path, is still my profile name, for example "c:\Users\" but it is still very annoying.

I there a way to fix this?
    Thanks *Confused

:)

tanin, Jul 10, 2019
  2. DSD
    DSD Win User

Need help with changing name of user profile folder

I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign out and back in again and it didn't work. I think the reason is because Windows created a TEMP user and would log me in under that so there would be a folder named C/User/TEMP and still the original named folder of C/User/myuserfolder.

I found this on the forums here: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 | Windows 10 Tutorials

The instructions are very similar to what I have tried. In the above post John W used safe mode. Do I need to go through all the steps again as listed in the post and then go into safe mode, or can I just use safe mode to change the folder name?

Also, are there newer instructions for how to do this with updates to Windows since the above thread was posted over a year ago?

Thanks in advance.

3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Windows' Profile folder named Downloads

Lost my "Downloads" FOLDER and somehow re-named my User Profile with this same "Downloads" Folder - Help!

Hi,

If the Downloads folder is deleted, disappeared or missing in Windows PC, then you'll not be able to find any downloaded files or data anymore. However, you can restore it back by following these steps:

• Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Users\Default folder.
    • Right-click on Downloads in the right side pane and select
      Copy
    • Navigate to C:\Users\your name folder and right-click the folder.
    • Select Paste.

Then the missing Downloads folder shall be replaced and you’ll be able to use it properly again.

Get back to us with the outcome.

Marque Lor, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows' Profile folder named Downloads

1. Windows' Profile folder named Downloads - Similar Threads - Windows' Profile folder

2. Fix the user profile folder and name on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fix the user profile folder and name on Windows 11: After a fresh Windows 11 installation, Windows chose a different local component for my user profile. Then it beautifully restored a backup from my previous version into a horribly broken and useless state because many of the things it restored depended on absolute...
  3. Fix the user profile folder and name on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix the user profile folder and name on Windows 11: After a fresh Windows 11 installation, Windows chose a different local component for my user profile. Then it beautifully restored a backup from my previous version into a horribly broken and useless state because many of the things it restored depended on absolute...
  4. Profile name

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Profile name: why does Microsoft change my profile name to IT DEPT for no reason? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/profile-name/8b7ecd4e-5053-4967-8fd8-e71f3ae38178
  5. Restore Downloads folder name

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Restore Downloads folder name: While I was trying to relocate my User folders to a separate drive I messed up and pointed my "Downloads" folder and "Music" folder to the same place. Now I have two "Music" folder links and they both point to the same place. Every time I select "Restore Default" for the...
  6. Profile name

in Windows 10 Customization
    Profile name: How do I change the name in my user profile? David https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/profile-name/ec492152-1f64-4b5b-b7ab-10640280e743
  7. User/profile is downloads folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User/profile is downloads folder: Hi, i have the same problem as this guy, but i have not a solution User/profile is downloads folder 165566
  8. User/profile is downloads folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User/profile is downloads folder: So i don't know what i did but my "User" profile shows the download symbol. Sorry it's not in English Imgur: The magic of the Internet Imgur: The magic of the Internet (this means users/profiles) Imgur: The magic of the Internet (this is supposed to be my user/profile but...
  9. User Profile Folder Name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User Profile Folder Name: This just something I'm starting up in hopes that enough people will complain about it that Microsoft will change the programming to make it easier to get your User folder renamed. Because going through the hassle of creating a new user, backing up all your files in your...
  10. Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10: How to: Change Name of User Profile Folder in Windows 10 How to Change the Name of a User Profile Folder in Windows 10 When signs in to the new account for the first time. A user profile is a collection of settings that make the computer look and work the way you...