Windows 10: Windows Start menu - I can't unpin a blank tile

Discus and support Windows Start menu - I can't unpin a blank tile in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've had an invalid shortcut in: C:\Users\myUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and I removed it but the problem is that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AltairAC, Jul 30, 2017.

1. AltairAC Win User

Windows Start menu - I can't unpin a blank tile

I've had an invalid shortcut in: C:\Users\myUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and I removed it but the problem is that I didn't unpin it from the Start Menu first and now I'm stuck with a blank tile which I can move around and resize but can't unpin.

Windows Start menu - I can't unpin a blank tile [​IMG]

Clicking on "Unpin from Start" does nothing. I tried restarting my computer but the tile is still there. I tried creating another shortcut with the same name as the tile in C:\Users\myUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but it didn't do anything.

If there is no other solution, I will do this: Reset Start Layout in Windows 10 but I put a lot of effort into my start menu and I'd rather avoid starting from scratch if it's possible.

:)

AltairAC, Jul 30, 2017
  2. GabijaA Win User

Unable to unpin, resize or rename tiles on Windows 10 Start menu

Original title:- Can't do anything with start menu tiles

I can't unpin or resize tiles in Windows 10 start menu. Also, I can't choose Show more tiles option and I can't rename tile sections.

GabijaA, Jul 30, 2017
  3. BJF_jr Win User
    Windows 10 start menu app icons wrong can't delete app.

I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Windows shows activated and everything works fine.

Except the Windows 10 start menu does not show Icon apps correctly. I use Google Chrome and pinned this tile to my Start Menu. The Icon shows as a generic Icon (looks like a white sheet of paper). I have several like this: Notepad++, Steam, MediaMonkey,
    and others. The apps work, but the tile icons are not right.

More disturbing is I pinned the OneDrive app to the menu. It shows up as a blank tile of the color I have chosen. I can Resize it or Unpin from Start. When I unpin from Start it does not go away and when I Resize it does resize, but still is only a blank
    tile.

If I unpin and restart nothing changes.

I would rather have the OneDrive tile go away, but do not want to uninstall Onedrive as I use it constantly. The Onedrive thing really bothers me, but otherwise this is just an asethetic issue

BJF_jr, Jul 30, 2017
  4. docpipo Win User

Hello, I apologize ahead of time as I am developing a migraine and cannot concentrate on reading at the moment, however I am hoping this (Administrative Tools - Add or Remove from Start Menu - Windows 7 Help Forums) will help you out in some form or fashion. If not, I sincerely apologize and hope to help you fix it soon. best of luck (if it does not work, I am almost certain you would be able to remove a registry for it with regedit OR CCleaner (there is an option to remove registry entries that are no longer referenced and whatnot. )

UPDATE: I just noticed in my corner notifications I have something that says Safely remove usb... etc it is for my wireless adapter, idk if that helps.

docpipo, Jul 30, 2017
  5. AltairAC Win User
    Thank your for your reply.

CCleaner didn't find anything and I'm afraid that the link you provided is not related to my problem. The tile is a leftover from a shortcut that opened the following software http://safelyremove.com/.

AltairAC, Jul 30, 2017
  6. docpipo Win User
    If you know the link to the shortcut, you may be able to remove it with command prompt.

something like Code: del /a /q "%USERNAME%\menu start\programs\autostart\shortcut.lnk"[/quote] possibly without the "autostart" portion.
    I really hope this helps, I'm sorry if it didn't.

docpipo, Jul 31, 2017
  7. AltairAC Win User
    possibly without the "autostart" portion.
    I really hope this helps, I'm sorry if it didn't.[/quote] The problem is that I already deleted the shortcut "C:\Users\myUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\USBSafelyRemove.lnk" before I unpinned it from the Star Menu (I already mentioned that in the first post but maybe I didn't explain my problem well enough). I have a tile but no shortcut (*.lnk file). I tried adding other shortcuts with the same name and path but to no avail. I can pin them on the Start Menu and then I have 2 tiles named "USBSafelyRemove". One works as advertised but it doesn't affect the other one (the one you see in the screenshot above).

AltairAC, Jul 31, 2017
  8. docpipo Win User

You explained yourself fine, I completely misread it and I apologize for that. I hope you can figure it out, and if you do, be sure to post here telling us how so we can help people in the future. Best wishes, Pipo.

docpipo, Jul 31, 2017
  9. spunk Win User
    If you have not emptied the Recycle Bin, restore the Shortcut to it's original position. Or, do a System Restore to a time before you deleted it. Now you should be able to unpin the the tile from the desktop. then you can delete the shortcut again.

spunk, Jul 31, 2017
  10. AltairAC Win User
    Thank you very much! I used shift + delete but I managed to recover the deleted .lnk file with Recuva (deep scan enabled). I specified the location (C:\Users\myUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs) before I started scanning and voila. I put the .lnk file back where it was, the tile got other right click options and I was finally able to unpin it.

(System Restore is not an option, I disable it for paranoid reasons.)

Problem solved! *Nerd

And now to backing up my start menu.

AltairAC, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Start menu - I can't unpin a blank tile - Similar Threads - Start menu can't

2. Unpin tiles from Start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unpin tiles from Start menu: Hi, I have a question How can I unpin all tiles from the Start Menu using a batch script or registry editor in Windows 10 20H2 175931
  3. Blank Tiles on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Blank Tiles on Start Menu: [ATTACH] Hi folks This has been like this for a few months now, but I'd like to try fix it. I've a couple of apps that just don't have icons; they display as blank in the Start Menu....
  4. Edge Dev tiles Blank on start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge Dev tiles Blank on start menu: [ATTACH] i am using: Windows 10 19041.1 Edge 80.0.361.9 (Official build) dev (64-bit) here's the screenshot submitted by /u/pc_v2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eh1a0f/edge_dev_tiles_blank_on_start_menu/
  5. Can't unpin from start menu

Can't unpin from start menu: A few months ago, I could unpin from start, but now when I unpin something, it comes back every time I shut down my PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-unpin-from-start-menu/84d8eb39-c74d-45d0-b093-e167399f8d17
  6. Default Start menu tiles all reappear after unpinning

Default Start menu tiles all reappear after unpinning: I am using Windows 10 home version. Recently I did the big upgrade. Afterward I unpinned all of the default tiles- Calender, Live Mail, My Office, Microsoft Store, and lots of "A great app is on its way" tiles, etc.- and replaced them with tiles from the start menu from...
  7. Can't unpin a tile from Start

Can't unpin a tile from Start: Hi, I'm using Windows 10 Pro and can't unpin a tile from Start.. someone please??! 55130
  8. Unpin tile from "Start"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unpin tile from "Start": Hello,Cannot unpin an old tile from Start.Click on it does not open any program, right click on it has two options:Unpin from start - does not work, or Resize - working. I can also relocate it, but it refuses to go.Made a search on the internet, tried some answers but its...
  9. Unable to Unpin Folder Tile from Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Unable to Unpin Folder Tile from Start Menu.: I'm unable to remove this tile from my Start Menu. It was a folder shortcut which was working fine until I changed the letter of the drive it belonged to. There are only two options when I right click, one is to unpin and the other is to resize the tile. I have tried pretty...
  10. Unable to Unpin Tiles from the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Unpin Tiles from the Start Menu: Hello all, I love Windows 10. I really do. However, there's one slight nuisance that is really starting to get on my nerves. Every time I right-click a tile, select something such as "Unpin from Start," absolutely nothing happens. The tile remains, I can reshape it, move...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. blank tiles Windows phone