Windows 10: Windows thinks it's installed on a different drive. Cause of BSOD?

Discus and support Windows thinks it's installed on a different drive. Cause of BSOD? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Edit: My last post on this thread contains all the most recent information regarding the current state of my machine and Windows 10 installation.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HansW, May 15, 2016.

1. HansW Win User

Windows thinks it's installed on a different drive. Cause of BSOD?

Edit: My last post on this thread contains all the most recent information regarding the current state of my machine and Windows 10 installation.

Random hangs (not BSOD) once every 1~3 days while gaming.
    Thought it related to OC so decided to incrementally lower the clock and voltage.
    Tested stability with aida64 and it hung mid-test with a BSOD). That BSOD rendered Windows completely unstable.

After that I got random BSODs (Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap, among others - they seemed different each time), and other strange behavior (namely USB drive folder opening and closing automatically).

I installed Sandra HW monitoring app before testing stability.

Using a restore point BSOD frequency decreased a bit, but it'd still happen seemingly randomly (once within 6 minutes of simple usage like opening folders).

Trying to run sfc /scannow, dos reported the command as not recognized. I used this tutorial to to run sfc scannow in dos boot and it still reported corrupt files...)

Current State:
    I chose to reset the PC and to keep personal files.
    PC seems stable now but sfc /scannow is still reporting corrupt files (I ran it with nothing other than malwarebytes running).

Note: After resetting, I only installed MBAM (pro) and Firefox. Windows automatically installed an AMD driver (I think).

I'd like to know if the BSODs I was experiencing is the cause of scannow not working.

According to the CBS log msdelta and amd64_microsoft-windows-deltacompressionengine are errant.

List of all the devices I've connected to the PC at some point.
    -logitech webcam (almost always connected but never used)
    -wacom bamboo tablet (almost always disconnected)
    -fostex headphone amplifier (always connected often used)
    -steam controller (always connected not often used)

Any help would be extremely appreciated!
    (I'll gladly post this in a different section if someone could tell me which is appropriate.)

:)

HansW, May 15, 2016
  2. froschy Win User

N97: Apps/Widgets installed on e: drive cause problems

Hey carman58 - Thanks for your response and glad to hear that your phone is working well. I have best taskman and have done all of the recommended optimising like on the last firmware update removing all of the apps, formatting the mass memory, hard resetting
    before and after the firmware update, and installing all of the apps to e: drive. After all of this the phone works pretty well but is IMHO still far from perfect (or even the phone I was expecting for US $700).

Bizarrely my accuweather widget has been working well over the last few days, refreshing as required and not losing the default city. The mippin buzz widgets were the ones that I was having problems with and after uninstalling them and re-installing them
    on c: drive they are behaving themselves much better. One clear problem that I noted with these widgets and their install location was that when installed on e: drive the on-screen left/right buttons would not respond when you had scrolled partially or fully
    down the screen, they would respond again after scrolling back to the top. When installed on c: drive this problem does not occur, supporting my thinking that there is a problem when installing apps/widgets on the slower e: drive.

Nokia pretty much admitted the same in the Nokia N97 v20 Firmware – Q + A Session with their response in relation to the question regarding moving the browser cache and apps like Nokia Messaging to the e: drive: "We have chosen the C:
    drive, since it has memory paging and therefore makes the apps running faster and smoother...". The next step would be for Nokia to come out and make an official statement on the lack of NAND memory in the N97 and what they plan to do about this, even if they
    plan to do nothing. If they did this I'm sure it would bring Nokia back a little credibility, I certainly would respect this.

Cheers,

froschy, May 15, 2016
  3. froschy Win User
    N97: Apps/Widgets installed on e: drive cause problems

I was having problems with the widgets on the homescreen of my N97, all of which are installed on the e: drive to save space on the pitifully small c: drive (thanks to poor design by Nokia). The first thought that came to my mind was that having apps/widgets
    installed on the slower e: drive was causing the problems. I have since uninstalled these widgets and re-installed them on the c: drive, and of course this seems to have resolved these problems. While this appears to be a solution to the problem it comes at
    the cost of losing more c: drive space and it's impractical to install all apps/widgets on the c: drive.

Has anybody else experienced stability/performance issues related to having their apps/widgets installed on the slower e: drive of their N97?

As Nokia fixed the design for the N97 Mini and the X6 with double the NAND memory, I think it's about time that Nokia officially recognise this problem on the N97 and detail how they are going to resolve it. If this means a product recall, so be it. They
    could take the opportunity to update the N97 design to fix all of the other problems including the self-harming camera lens, the poorly isolated GPS antennae, squeaky backplate, slow processor, etc...

IMHO taking responsibility for the mistakes in the N97 would go along way to reclaiming some credibility and stemming the loss of loyal customers to other ecosystems (noting that as we've moved passed the device-centirc era, these people having invested
    in apps and services in another ecosystem will take a long time before they are ready to change brands again).

P.S. I know this is a user to user forum but there is no other way to communicate this feedback to Nokia, the "Contact Us" method can only deal with queries and appears to have no mechanism for dealing with this sort of feedback and quite frankly if Nokia
    isn't taking the time to review these forums for feedback, it's their loss.

froschy, May 15, 2016
  4. HansW Win User

(Update) Just got another BSOD. Kernel Security Check Failure

It happened after this:

I tried to run sfc /scannow again (going for the 3rd time's a charm)
    It got stuck at 32% for 30 minutes, so I killed it.

Went to try to restart PC in safe mode and found Windows had the update and restart option, so I let it, without holding shift.

It installed the updates, and then I went to try to restart again in safe mode. Clicking on the windows key and hovering the mouse cursore over the Power option BSOD'd it.

HansW, May 15, 2016
  5. lifetec Win User
    Your zipfile does not include dumpfiles.

But in your windows error report your steamcontrollor is mentioned/blamed

Code: Windows Error Reporting: +++ WER0 +++: Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: PnPRequestAdditionalSoftware Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: x64 P2: HID\VID_28DE&PID_1142&REV_0001&MI_02 P3: 10.0.0.0 P4: 0409 P5: input.inf P6: * P7: P8: P9: P10: +++ WER1 +++: Fault bucket , type 0 Event Name: PnPGenericDriverFound Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: x64 P2: HID\VID_28DE&PID_1142&REV_0001&MI_02[/quote] Device Name: Steam Controller
    Attached: 1
    Controller ID: 0x0
    Vendor/Product ID: 0x28DE, 0x1142

Did you install the drivers/software for this device(steam controller)

According to SFC question here is some info how to use it(run it 3 times) , the tutorial SFC Command - Run in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

lifetec, May 15, 2016
  6. HansW Win User
    Hello lifetec,

Sorry for not supplying a dump file. I just checked it (it was set to dump type "automatic").
    It's over 600MB so I zipped it to 120MB.

Initially I had the drivers installed for the steam controller before resetting the PC.

I left the USB receiver for it plugged in the whole time (from when the first stability crash happened, until now). I did not intentionally install drivers for it. It's possible old ones remain or Windows or Steam installed default generic drivers for it after reset. I have no idea how to delete, remove, replace or install them.

Oh I just now remembered. When my PC hanged while playing games, the steam controller was on and then got forcibly turned off. Maybe its drivers got corrupted and they still remain after the reset?

Sorry, I forgot I installed Steam as well. So, currently installed programs: steam, firefox, malwarebytes.
    I will try to run scannow 3 times in a row when I get home (10 hours from now).

Thank you very much for the help, lifetec.

HansW, May 16, 2016
  7. HansW Win User
    Update: Using the information lifetec found out for me, where the steam controller is a likely culprit, I looked into a thread about uninstalling steam controller drivers on windows 10 and found this.

In short, I
    - uninstalled all the HID devices (via Device Manager) that appear when attaching the Steam Controller USB dongle.
    - ran sfc /scannow twice in normal Windows 10
    - ran sfc /scannow twice in Windows 10 safe mode with networking

No errors were reported, unlike before where it would either freeze up or display a message about corrupted data that couldn't be fixed.

I'll update this if I get another BSOD. If it's OK I'd request that this thread stay open for a week or so.

Thanks a ton for checking out that CBS log, lifetec. Granted the culprit is inconclusive, I never thought the steam controller (driver) could be a cause of a BSOD.

HansW, May 16, 2016
  8. Hans W Win User

Edit: Cool! That error Lifetec found is in dxdiag.txt. (I never knew dxdiag reported that kind of info.)
    I'll check it when I get home and update if it's still erring.

(I am the OP. Forgot my password so I created another account to access from work.)
    Might anyone know how Lifetec got this information?

Device Name: Steam Controller
    Attached: 1
    Controller ID: 0x0
    Vendor/Product ID: 0x28DE, 0x1142

I checked my previous uploaded zipfile and searched for "Windows Error Reporting:" in each file (except for dxdiag.txt...) but got no hits.

I'm thinking I should probably rerun it to see if that driver issue is resolved...

Thanks in advance!

Hans W, May 17, 2016
  9. axe0 New Member
    In the dxdiag.txt file you can find the WER reports, just go to the end of the file and you'll see them *Smile

10. Hans W Win User
    Thank you very much, axe0!

Hans W, May 17, 2016
  11. HansW Win User
    This is an update regarding the steam controller being the cause of the BSOD.

Having uninstalled the HID devices related to the steam controller, and then reinstalling it via steam I haven't experienced any crashes yet.

I have some 10 other conflicts (3 distinct) reported in dxdiag, though. (I attached the new, post-uninstall dm_log_collector.) I tried googling around for them. What I found was XP or Windows 7 related, so I figured I should hold off.

I was wondering if some kind soul could tell me if they're negligible, because I'd like to prevent a BSOD or hang from occurring and causing more "damage".

In short, they are:
    - MpTelemetry (P1: 2152759308, P3: ScanFile P5: Windows Defender)
    - APPCRASH (P1:UE4-TestGame, P4:UE4Editor-MeshPaint.dll)
    - MpTelemetry (P1: 2152759308, P5: Windows Defender)
    - RADAR_PRE_LEAK_WOW64 (P1: firefox.exe)

(I assume the UE4 one's are negligible, because I've never experienced a BSOD while UE4 is running.)

I will mark this thread as solved if I can get through the weekend without a BSOD.

Thank you so much lifetec and Axe0 for you help!

HansW, May 18, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    They are generally nothing to worry about, especially the mptelemetry onces.

13. Hans W Win User

Thanks once again, axe0. That's a relief to hear (read?).
    I will update this thread next Monday (Sunday evening PST).

Hans W, May 19, 2016
  14. HansW Win User
    I just got a BSOD (and it's a familiar one). I wasn't able to write it all down before the PC restarted, but this is what I got:

D:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
    System Thread Exception atikm...
    Attachment 80767

What's weird is that that BSOD error claims Windows is on the D drive.
    Windows is, without a doubt, installed on the C drive and always has been.
    Attachment 80774

I have an SSD as the C drive and an HDD as the D drive.
    (For good measure, I double-checked D: and no "Windows" folders exist.)

Maybe this all got messed up when I accidentally pressed the big fat "Intel Rapid Storage technology" button on the main screen in the BIOS after the Windows Reset. It hung up in the BIOS after that, and I pushed the reset button.

Before encountering this error I had done the following:
    - Uninstalled gpu driver (because Doom wasn't detecting higher resolutions) and restarted
    - Changed primary display to i-gpu in bios
    (Had to do this to get to desktop to install the driver.)
    - Installed latest crimson driver 16.5.2.1 and reconnected DVI to gpu
    - Reset PC
    - Launched Steam, uninstalled Doom, re-downloaded Doom and started surfing the web in the interim
    30 minutes later, with Doom at 80%, I got the BSOD with the aforementioned error.

I opened up "update and security" and this is what it shows (crimson's running in the background so I brought it up to show the latest driver version):
    Attachment 80773

HansW, May 19, 2016
  15. HansW Win User
    I looked around for ways to get Windows to find to recognize it was installed on the proper drive, but had no luck.
    So, I completely formatted the C: drive (where windows was installed) and reinstalled Windows fresh like.
    I will mark this as Solved.

I sincerely appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out!

HansW, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows thinks it's installed on a different drive. Cause of BSOD? - Similar Threads - thinks installed different

2. Multiple BSOD Caused by Different Sources

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple BSOD Caused by Different Sources: I bought a lenovo legion 7i gen 7 about a month ago and I was getting a BSOD on multiple occasions during startup. Every time it happened the laptop would restart and then boot normally. I tried to fix it many times, and originally I was getting that the problem was from...
  3. Having BSOD with different causes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Having BSOD with different causes: I'll send here the link for my minidump files:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bp7NKGyWxi1tZDJ7zLNYCQtFxLMwNXiP?usp=sharingIt started after one year I replaced my SSD because it already has problemssaid my technicianMy laptop is a helios 300 2019 versionph315-52Using 2...
  4. Having BSOD with different causes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having BSOD with different causes: I'll send here the link for my minidump files:https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bp7NKGyWxi1tZDJ7zLNYCQtFxLMwNXiP?usp=sharingIt started after one year I replaced my SSD because it already has problemssaid my technicianMy laptop is a helios 300 2019 versionph315-52Using 2...
  5. Having BSOD with different causes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. BSOD caused by a few different reasons

BSOD caused by a few different reasons: Hi and thanks for helping if you're able to. I have been having issue for the past week with BSODs. I've run each crash's dump file through WinDbg and found that there were different isues. More info below: Note - all my drivers are up to date and there is nothing wrong with...
  7. BSOD with different causes

BSOD with different causes: i get BSOD fairly regularly this month. everything is running on stock. no overclocking except for RAM xmp enabled. this build is all brand new and built about 2 months ago. can anyone please help me in finding out whats wrong. thank you very much. link to dump files and...
  8. BSOD Frequently with a Number of Different Causes

BSOD Frequently with a Number of Different Causes: I moved my desktop to Windows 10 Ocotober 2015 and all was fine until about 2 or 3 weeks ago, After a Windows update the OS started to behave unpredictably and get BSODs every 5 or 10 minutes for dufferent reasons OAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,...
  9. BSODs from different cause

BSODs from different cause: PS. sry for my english and grammar :'( Hi I need help.I'm not open my PC for a year and try to start my PC since yesterday. Now i have BSOD issues since yesterday. I got at least 4 different error code in 2 days. BSOD cames up when i play games, surf the internet, even do...
  10. Frequent BSODs with different causes

Frequent BSODs with different causes: https://i.imgur.com/AO6BgPk.png Picture with general error names Attachment 79858 50368