Windows 10: Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10

Discus and support Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10 How to Open a Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10 A command prompt is an entry point for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by aksalaymeh, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10

How to: Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10

How to Open a Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10

A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at the command prompt, you can perform tasks on your computer without using the Windows graphical interface.

This tutorial will show you how to boot to an elevated command prompt at startup in Windows 10.

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: Open Command Prompt at Boot using Windows 10 Installation Media
    • Option Two: Open Command Prompt at Boot using Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

EXAMPLE: Command Prompt at Boot

Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10 [​IMG]

OPTION ONE [/i] Open Command Prompt at Boot using Windows 10 Installation Media
    1. Boot from your Windows 10 installation ISO file if in a virtual machine.

2. Do step 3 or step 4 below for how you would like to open a command prompt at boot.

3. When you see Windows Setup, press the Shift + F10 keys.

4. When you see Windows Setup, click/tap on Next. (see screenshot above)
    A) Click/tap on Repair your computer, and go to step 2 in OPTION TWO below. (see screenshot below

OPTION TWO [/i] Open Command Prompt at Boot using Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10
    1. Boot to advanced startup options

2. Click/tap on the Troubleshoot option. (see screenshot below)

3. Click/tap on Advanced options. (see screenshot below)

4. Click/tap on the Command prompt option. (see screenshot below)

5. If you booted to advanced startup from within Windows 10, then the computer will restart. Click/tap on a listed local administrator that you want to provide credentials for, type in the account's password, and click/tap on Continue. (see screenshots below)

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

aksalaymeh, Dec 6, 2014
  2. Gerry C J Cornell, Dec 6, 2014
  3. Command Prompt will not stay open in windows 10

Hi Giridhar J,

Thanks for responding

I checked in system32 and cmd.exe dated (07/10/2015) is there.

I then ran cmd. in safe mode with the same results Command window opens then quickly closes, more like it

will flash open then close.

I'm willing to try any further subjections if you please!

FullhouseAces&10s, Dec 6, 2014
  4. YAK
    Yak Win User

Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10

Thanks *Smile
    However, I couldn't find any lists of the available commands.
    `map`doesn't work, nor `help`...
    Would you have any clues?

5. balubeto Win User
    Using the option one, when I open the "Command Prompt" windows with Shift+10, I will open a Windows PE or Windows RE session?

Thanks

Bye

balubeto, Nov 10, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
  7. balubeto Win User
    balubeto, Nov 10, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Nope. You're just using WinRE from the bootable USB.

Brink, Nov 10, 2015
  9. It appears option 2 is no longer valid since Microsoft reduced the capability of the boot menu. *Mad

fracking4oil, Dec 7, 2015
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello fracking4oil, *Smile

I just tested again with different systems, and OPTION TWO still works just fine for me on them.

Is this for the system in your specs?

Please list the exact steps you took to boot to advanced startup to see if that may be the issue.

Brink, Dec 7, 2015
  11. Yup, the system listed under "My System Specs"...

I followed:

Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Advanced startup -> Restart now

After boot: Troubleshoot (image 1) -> Startup Settings (image 2) -> Restart (image 3), which took me to image 4.

fracking4oil, Dec 8, 2015
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. I'm not sure why you're missing those options in "Advanced Options". Do you have your recovery partition still?

Are you able to do so using OPTION ONE instead?

Brink, Dec 8, 2015
  13. Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10

The recovery partition is still intact, although I've found some other issues; so I'm just gonna do an in-place upgrade to repair the install and see how it goes from there. I'll report back if this solves this issue.

Edited: After the in-place upgrade everything appears to be back to normal, option 2 is now viable again *Biggrin

Thanks for the help Brink!

fracking4oil, Dec 8, 2015
  14. I also cannot find Command Prompt in Advanced Options now.
    I remember I did that a couple days ago.
    Now only "UEFI Firmware" and "Startup Settings" there.

gamelife123, Dec 9, 2015
  15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Dec 10, 2015
Thema:

1. Open Command Prompt at Boot in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Open Command Prompt

2. Command prompt not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command prompt not opening: Hi All, Whenever I try to open a command prompt in windows 10 it crashes automatically. Please assist how to fix the same. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-not-opening/cc3ba5c9-0dda-421b-b0af-d3e128135a1c
  3. Win 10 booting into command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 booting into command prompt: There's a thread about this from almost two years ago - windows boots into black screen with command prompt - but I tried adding the suggested code and still am booting into the command prompt. I type explorer.exe and all is well till the next boot. I have attached a...
  4. Can't boot to command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't boot to command prompt: Hi, I am trying to boot into the command prompt to reset a password. However, none of the function keys including escape allows me into the BIOS. I am using a wired keyboard and function keys do not have a toggle on/off option. I have restarted with the SHIFT key and it won't...
  5. Command Prompt not opening in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt not opening in Windows 10: I had a problem opening command prompt in Windows 10. When I used Win+R and typing in cmd, the command prompt opened for a brief moment and the closed again. I found the culprit causing this on my PC, it was a malware/spyware program called soundmixer.exe. If you have...
  6. Windows Command Prompt is not opening...

Windows Command Prompt is not opening...: So I was trying to open the command prompt and every time the command prompt opened for a short while and it closes by itself. I mean it just flashes for a moment and I can't see a thing. I created a new administrator account and tried to open it and it worked. But I can't...
  7. Command prompt not opening

Command prompt not opening: Hi, I recently installed a windows 10 update and noe cmd.exe does not work. I hvae tried many different methods to open it but all that happens is a small window flashes up ont he screen for a split second then dissapears. any ideas? s8on...
  8. Command Prompt Not Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt Not Opening: Recently attempting to open Command prompt, ordinary or as administrator, it flashes for perhaps 2 seconds and then disappears. I tried the following commands sfc /scannow DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth But none of these seem to work, I'm wondering if there...
  9. Open Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Command Prompt in Windows 10: How to: Open Command Prompt in Windows 10 How to Open a Command Prompt in Windows 10 A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands at the command prompt, you can perform tasks on your computer without...
  10. Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10: How to: Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 10 [img] Information A command prompt is an entry point for typing computer commands in the Command Prompt window. By typing commands in an elevated command prompt, you can perform tasks that require administrator rights on...