Windows 10: Windows Update now royally inoperative

Discus and support Windows Update now royally inoperative in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Sorry about the machine question, I should have checked specs. Nice unit. MB=Motherboard I wouldn't worry about rename. They were just trying to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by 10fused, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Windows Update now royally inoperative

Sorry about the machine question, I should have checked specs. Nice unit.

MB=Motherboard

I wouldn't worry about rename. They were just trying to get a different name on folder so Windows would recreate. Old is more meaningful that ol. You renamed it so Windows recreated. That bat also renamed the one you created by running updates.

The flashing in middle of night is maintenance trying to run. You can change that schedule with

Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

Were off topic. Back to task at hand.

Please run sfc /scannow

What are you thoughts of installing V1709? I always recommend backing up data and making an Image, this is an OS upgrade.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 21, 2017
  2. 10fused Win User

Windows Update now royally inoperative [​IMG]

Nothing found and thanks, I have been very happy with the NUC and have my eye on their latest greatest.
    I think MB may be Haswell?

At this point a backup would need to be made on an external drive I have since I doubt I have room on the machine itself to store a backup.

I'm not opposed to 1709 and the OS update.
    Are there any benefits?
    Does a tutorial exist on how to do it?

Off subject, I'm not sure which of the tasks are running and able to turn the machine back on after I turn it off, I certainly want to learn and fix that to suit my preferences.

I did look at the tutorial on scheduled maintenance. Its behavior doesn't align with how that is described to work. Whatever this is does two things I've noted:

1) Will sometimes not turn off when I power it off requiring pushing and holding the physical power button for 5-ish seconds. This happened last night.

I did manually turn off the machine last night and the record showed it did maintenance early this morning shortly after 2AM. The machine was certainly manually turned off prior. What I read is this scheduled maintenance occurs only if the machine is on and idling.

2) It turns itself back on if left plugged in and just like this morning, well outside the 1 hour window of time it is stated is allowed for maintenance, it appeared quite busy at 5:30AM.

My WIFI is turned off, I have a shortcut to its setting on my task bar, and never set to connect automatically for added security. That may be silly to think that would reduce the chances of war-driving it and most time I do indeed hard-wire to my hotspot. I almost only use WIFI to connect to my printer/scanner or network with other office machines. Now I am even more suspicious.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

10fused, Nov 22, 2017
  3. Yes Brink does a hell of a job with the tutorials.

So basically you are going to go the Windows Media Creation tool page, download the tool and execute it. I would create a USB thumb drive, 8GB minimum, with the code. Then you make sure you have a back up, change and save one BIOS setting, install the USB key, navigate to setup and double click, Then be patient, you will get black screens, spinning dots, you know the drill. Just let it complete. Some have taken hours, literally hours, like five hours. Some zip through.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

I gave you the cheat notes, please read the tutorial. You mentioned hotspot, this is a big download.

You are running Pro so you have the ability to defer updates. That said it is likely if you had got this troublesome update in and were not delaying updates 1709 would have been pushed either by now or within the next few weeks. It may still do this on its own so you do not have to force.

You can try that file you downloaded with Trouble Shooter and try that pesky update again.

On the other subject, Windows running locally does not have the ability to turn on a powered off machine. You should check your settings for what the power button does and you should check your BIOS for maintenance settings. Your machine likely supports Connected Standby as a sleep state which is still on a far as Windows is concerned.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Caledon Ken, Nov 22, 2017
  4. 10fused Win User

Windows Update now royally inoperative

I'll dig in over the next couple days. I have never delayed updates and take them as pushed. I do the business (beta?) updates.

It did its non turn off thing again tonight. Appeared to power down, screen reports no video signal and eventually turns itself completely off (normal).

Power button glowing blue and the indicator next to it flashing blue.

Hold 5 seconds and it did shut off. Disco'd the power cord. Annoying.

I will check out the BIOS just the same.

Thanks again.

10fused, Nov 22, 2017
  5. 10fused Win User
    Ok, couldn't get to the BIOS from the advanced start method. Consumed quite a bit of time trying tp make ready then update which failed.

Got to BIOS using F2. Went in, inspected, the only thing I did was check "secure boot" (which apparently was not enabled) then unchecked it to make sure it was not enabled.

Now, blackscreen displaying only, "A bootable device has not been detected"

Tried powering off then powering back on. Same blackscreen and message.

It sits here silently mocking me. Windows Update now royally inoperative :)

10fused, Nov 23, 2017
  6. 10fused Win User

10fused, Nov 23, 2017
  7. Please re-enter the BIOS and head back to Secure boot and reset it to what ever it was set to. Not following, you said it was disabled and then you unchecked it.

Did you make any other changes to BIOS.

Caledon Ken, Nov 23, 2017
  8. 10fused Win User

I checked it because I assumed it should have been enabled.

When I checked it, that appeared to enable it, therefore I unchecked it.

The screens show which ones I looked at and how they are set.

Blackscreen with the bootable device message is where this leads each time?

10fused, Nov 23, 2017
  9. Can't read the last screen at all. Camera overexposed.

In the panel Boot Configuration, lower portion Boot Devices.

The top line UEFI Internal Shell, does not appear to have check mark. Was it always like this?

10. Hey there. Could you place a little more description around this

"Ok, couldn't get to the BIOS from the advanced start method. Consumed quite a bit of time trying to make ready then update which failed."

What were you updating? and what failed?

Thanks

11. 10fused Win User
    I tried the instruction to get, I assume, to BIOS thru the Advanced Start.

The tutorial found by following the link appeared to be for win8, but, was similar on my end although did not have the UEFI or whatever option.

As ot tried to restart, where it did not give me the options shown in the tutorial, it did the update stuff which didn't last nearly as long as normal since I started having this update problem.

It also did not try and undo changes twice.

Hopefully this is coherent.

I believe it also tried or did start up repairs.

However, the machine booted up and worked fine after all that.

It didnt act stupid until I went in BIOS via f2.

I don't think I changed anything, other than the checking and unchecking, and hate the idea that I may have and don't recall.

10fused, Nov 23, 2017
  12. 10fused Win User

Here are the last 3 again, I really appreciate your patience.

Thanks.

10fused, Nov 23, 2017
  13. 10fused Win User

When I start and do f10

Displays 'select boot device' and none are shown to select

When I start and f7

Displays Bios Flas Update and shows my 2.5 sdd and Partition 1, and my msata having 3 partitions and for some reason, I don't recall there being but 1 partition on it. I may be mistaken.

F2, f7 and f10 are the only sequences that doesn't go to the black screen.

10fused, Nov 23, 2017
  14. Well something happen in those minutes.

Not following ...

"It also did not try and undo changes twice."

Then you said .... I believe it also tried or did start up repairs. Something got whacked if it is doing startup repairs..

Your machine is not seeing your boot device. If you didn't change anything then maybe you can get it back by trying a repair. You have your boot media, can you boot it and try repair.

Have to step away for 10. I'll be right back.

15. 10fused Win User
    If I changed anything, I don't know it.

What in BIOS should I change to see if it will detect and boot from my msata, as it always has prior?

I made my usb media and have it along with my product key.

Regarding the restarting/repairing from updates section that leads to restarting, that all appeared like a bootup where it hung on the 1703 update to me.

It vooted and worked fine after that.

10fused, Nov 24, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Update now royally inoperative - Similar Threads - Update royally inoperative

2. Laptop inoperative after Updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop inoperative after Updates: 12/13/22. Installed Windows Updates & Restarted. Normally update & shutdown. Desktop now flashes between full display & Windows screen only no icons. No Start menu. Have tried to uninstall updates from that date. Should I try to uninstall from earlier date? No change in...
  3. Laptop inoperative after Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop inoperative after Updates: 12/13/22. Installed Windows Updates & Restarted. Normally update & shutdown. Desktop now flashes between full display & Windows screen only no icons. No Start menu. Have tried to uninstall updates from that date. Should I try to uninstall from earlier date? No change in...
  4. Laptop inoperative after Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Search inoperative

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search inoperative: Hi all, My PC contains a directory of directories named “Documents” where all the documents I created are stored. In particular I know because I can open it there is a Word file containing the word “Cardan”: located in directory “Documents”, subdirectory...
  6. Keyboard Inop after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Keyboard Inop after update: Have an HP laptop, was working fine UNTIL...pop up said I needed to update windows 10. Took over an hour to update. When it rebooted the last time and came up to the sign on screen the ALPHA portion of the keyboard is inoperative. Numeric portion works but not the alpha. I...
  7. Search window inoperative

in Cortana
    Search window inoperative: Whyy am I unable to type in the search window? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-window-inoperative/73b40372-cf7c-4121-9700-06d496c2cf6b
  8. USB INOP

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB INOP: 2 OF THE 3 USB PORTS ARE NOT WORKING ON MY ACER LAPTOP. THE 3.0 PORT IS WORKING THE OTHER 2 THAT ARE 2.O ARE INOP....HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-inop/b85e2f54-9a42-4beb-b56a-6f08aafa9971
  9. Royal dnm

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Royal dnm: ROYAL DRAGON NEST PRIVATE SERVER GUILD PACKAGE IS NOW UP! Do you have a guild? Do you want to experience a thrilling and a balanced gameplay? This is for you! A GUILD MUST HAVE 15 ACTIVE MEMBERS TO CLAIM REWARDS AND MUST FILL-OUT THE FOLLOWING FORMAT: GUILD NAME: GUILD...
  10. Finger Print Reader now Inoperative

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Finger Print Reader now Inoperative: I have had issues with the finger print reader previously but have been able to get it working again, either by itself or performing suggested functions, which I no longer remember. I have a Thinkpad T470 with Windows 10. In the sign-in options, my computer no longer...